News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

My COX woes

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, August 24, 2010, 03:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

This whole expansion thing has been a disaster for me.  Not that I'm necessarily blaming GR, the timing just stinks.

You may have noticed I haven't been around recently?  Since last patch hit, the game won't run anymore.  It freezes nearly every time.

Now I'm upgrading my graphics card and ram and should get both tomorrow, and I"m hoping that that works.  If it doesn't, I don't know what I do.  What should have been a happy time playing a new expansion has not been fun times for me at all.

Wish me luck with my upgrading.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JKCarrier

If you're still having problems after the upgrade, go over to the CoH boards and post in the Development > Technical Issues & Bugs section. There's lots of brainiacs hanging out there, someone should be able to help.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, not so confident after my last attempt to do so.  They basically just told me my computer wasn't good enough, go buy another one.  Yeah, very helpful.

BlueBard

Does anybody have any experience running GR on Windows 7 64bit and an Intel chipset?

I could barely get CoX to run at all on Vista 64 and it's one of the reasons I'm still on the other side of the fence in regard to returning.  Just wondering if support has improved one way or the other.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

Nope, installed the nifty new hardware, but no dice.  Still can't play.

Ephemeris

All I can suggest is exactly what JK told you.  Try again on the boards, watch out for trolls.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I've figured out more through experimentation and am tempted to try reformat and restart as suggested during my very brief time in game, but I'll try out the forums first and see what they can tell me.

EDIT:  Okay,there's more info in the CoX forums now.  Apparently the news Nvidia drivers are causing this issue for everybody.  Unfortunately, my graphics card uses a brand new type of processor, so no earlier ones work.  Until Nvidia fixes the issue, I'm stuck.

Voltarious

Quote from: BlueBard on August 24, 2010, 05:46:49 PM
Does anybody have any experience running GR on Windows 7 64bit and an Intel chipset?

I could barely get CoX to run at all on Vista 64 and it's one of the reasons I'm still on the other side of the fence in regard to returning.  Just wondering if support has improved one way or the other.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with an Intel i7 processor. It runs without issue.

RTTingle

... this topic makes me giggle.

---RTT

(Who has reverted to being 12 years old for the time being)

electro

No problems here running an Nividia card - I'm betting it's a windows 7 issue - Another tip is I originally couldn't get the game to boot up on full Ultra mode so I booted up in safe mode Then reworked the graphics & reste the game now it works like I need it too :blink:

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm running XP, not 7.  I tried safe mode, but while the game runs, it freezes again if I try to access Praetoria.  While I haven't tried it, I'm betting touching the graphics settings does the same thing too, based on other experiments.

electro

This is why i'm buying the DC MMO on PS3 - No compatibility issues with the controller, Microphone, graphics - Just pop in the disk & play at full settings - PC gamming sometimes blows :blink:

Reepicheep

One of our beyond-warranty computers just had a massive explosion and we had to clear the hard disk despite not having the restore CD, so I took the opportunity to clear it all out and put in some new stuff. Except for the motherboard and processor (which are half decent anyway. Not great, but half decent. If anyone can suggest good value ones, I'd love to take a gander), everything has been removed and either put back in or replaced. It was my first real venture into the inner workings of the computer, and it was a lot of fun!

Cost about £300 (between that or a £700 computer that would have been under par anyway), but now its holding a pretty nice video card, plus a few other neat things that weren't there before. Just tried out Oblivion and it looks amazing.

Waiting on a wireless network card to arrive so I can connect it up and see how CoH runs. Very exciting times!

catwhowalksbyhimself

And a hard reboot and reinstall of Windows later, and I'm on!

The goldside content is fun, and ultramode is pretty.  See you all in game.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just so you all know, but problems with Praetoria returned, so solutions were to be found, and in the meantime separation from the game seems to have cured my addiction to it, so I have canceled my supscription.  My account is paid until October, so I'll likely still play with you all from time to time, and the next time I rebuild my computer, which won't be for at least a year from now, maybe longer, I will likely return.

Sorry it had to come to this, but it's been a great experience and I do hope to return some day.

EDIT: Sigh.  My timing's horrible.  A few hours later and technical support figure it out.  I may still take a break, but I may not.  If I do leave, though, it won't be for too long.