create a new superhero game similar to ff with a free game engine?

Started by naitvalis, July 21, 2010, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naitvalis

i wonder if this is possible, cause i don't see the coming of a new ff so near...
i see many free game engine out on the internet, and many look very interesting, sure there isnt a lack of meshes and skins for a project like this. i'm not an expert altought i know is very difficoult to run al that programming codes for a game, well i post this only to know better if this is even possible over years...

Epimethee

Theorically possible, but even with a large dedicated group of fans with some expertise, from what I can see of existing open source games, it'd require many years of work, IMO. Finding an existing game to mod into FF would be easier.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

catwhowalksbyhimself

The typical big open source project like this, gets partially done, then dropped a few years later.  The I"ve seen other still going, but for 5 or more years without any release in sight.  It takes a LOOONG time to get something of this complexity off the ground.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

TrajkLogik

The best option, IMO, would be to place our efforts in expanding/updating FFX an/or other mods that expand  :ffvstr:

Epimethee

Quote from: TrajkLogik on July 23, 2010, 11:57:04 AM
The best option, IMO, would be to place our efforts in expanding/updating FFX an/or other mods that expand  :ffvstr:
Been there, done that. ;)

More seriously, my beef with this approach:
- The game is starting to show its age and limitations.
- FF is moddable, yes, but we've covered a fair amount of what's possible to do to expand it (and hit a lot of unmovable walls in the process)
- The scripting forum has never been FR's most active section, and it's become very quiet in the last year or so. AFAIK, people haven't exactly been lining up to join the FFX project. It's a truism, but it takes people willing to program to develop a program.

(Yes, YOU, gentle readers who aspire to code... take this as a challenge!)

naitvalis

for the mod of another game, must exsist another game with a mod friendly interface and a good engine.
maybe something like dragon age origins...

bearded

the marvel game has a good engine, uses python for code and tommyboy has shown that new meshes can be imported into the game. and we have all the max files to most of the ff characters.
first step, convert all the characters to the ultimate marvel alliance.

BentonGrey

Quote from: bearded on July 25, 2010, 05:21:44 AM
the marvel game has a good engine, uses python for code and tommyboy has shown that new meshes can be imported into the game. and we have all the max files to most of the ff characters.
first step, convert all the characters to the ultimate marvel alliance.

The problem is you can't actually mod the game itself.  You can paste over characters, and the ever resourceful Tommyboy managed to find a back door, allowing him to sort of expand the roster, but you can only play the one storyline.

Epimethee, I feel like FF is just SO mod friendly that, even though it is getting long in the tooth, there just isn't anything else with the resources and flexibility of this game.  I mean, in this single game I can tell grand, sweeping stories in the DCU, and at the same time, I can tell stories with the TMNT.  Heck, if I wanted, I could do both together.  That's enough to keep me around for a long time to come.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Epimethee

Happy to know that you should be here for a while Benton. :) I agree that FF seems the most mod-friendly game available for the kind of stories/formats we want to tackle (not that I'm really knowledgeable of other games, mind you). I just wish the game had been even more mod-friendly. Sadly, game design seems to be (for good reasons) one of the domains least propitious to open source development.

naitvalis

well every of you have a good reason, cause  :ff: offer a great chance of mod...
but there is game wich is really much more moddable and have a lot of contents already in...i think to second life, indeed there can be easily created meshes and skins and even scripts, there is only one problem, sl is online and i think we need an offline version, ive read there is the possibility to run it offline but i still doing research for know.

lugaru

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=53349.0

There is some very plausible discussion going on here... does not make it easy but plausible is a huge improvement.

cmdrkoenig67

Indeed...Lu, both threads were started by the same person.   ;)

Dana