News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

whats your flavor?

Started by herodad1, June 23, 2010, 02:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herodad1

just out of curiosity, what's your favorite comic company? we've got alot of members with different  tastes so who's your flavor? mines MARVEL. classic to be precise.

murs47

My wallet says Marvel but I enjoy Vertigo the most.

lugaru

In order

Marvel (I know the history really well)
Vertigo (DC)
Max / Icon (mostly for Punisher Max)
Image (mostly the "indy" titles)
DC proper
Dark Horse
Etc.

steamteck

DC just before original Crisis has my favorite series ever, Roy Thomas All Stars and his infinity Inc stuff. Just after crisis DC was a very magical time also. Most of my DC love really comes from Justice League cartoon though.

Classic marvel was my favorite during its time. Still makes modern stuff pale into insignificance and banality.

Blkcasanova247

I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

thalaw2

It's all about Marvel for me too.
革命不会被电视转播

The Hitman

Mint Chocolate Chip.

Oh, comics? Usually DC. But not the "Big 3" stuff... more like obscure titles.

GhostMachine

DC. Though up until about 2 and a half to 3 years ago, I'd have said Marvel.

Mr. Hamrick

I use to be a big fan of Vertigo but about the only title I still enjoy is Hellblazer.  DC has always been my favorite aside from that.  

I use to like Marvel but honestly, I will never buy another Marvel comic title while Joe Quesada is heading Marvel.  And with the news that he is now the Chief Creative Officer, that could be a while.

Though lately, I have not bought any comics since the beginning of the year due to financial issues.

crimsonquill

I'm with Hitman on a vote for Mint Chocolate Chip.. oh, wait...

I'm definitly on the Marvel bandwagon but I have been hovering more around independent comics for awhile now...

I've been focusing most of my comic fundage on comics like The Walking Dead and Invincible these days.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Podmark

Definitely Marvel. I think I'm down to 1 DC book right now. My trade purchases are a little more varied though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Courtnall6

DC when I was a wee lad then switched to Marvel once I started collecting. I didn't get into Dark Horse or Vertigo all that much.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

daglob

I started with DC, but once I discovered Spider-Man I was a Marvel fan. Still, while I followed Marvel faithfully for decades, my favorite characters were at other companies: Metamorpho, Plastic Man, Dr. Solar, Deadman, The Creeper, The Question, THUNDER Agents, The Original Original Doom Patrol...

Sadly, as time has passed, neither company writes stories for me any more; or at least not very often. Before my recent financial implosion, I was buying more comics from the independents.

marhawkman

Rocky road [/running gag]

I'm pretty heavily split between DC and Marvel, though I seem to have more marvel books.

Shaboba

Marvel, and Image. I'm a biiig Spawn fan.

Tawodi Osdi

Overall, I have preferred DC the most, but there were a lot of things I liked about Marvel.  Also, I used to read a couple independent titles, Justice Machine and Boris the Bear, but I don't remember the companies that released them.  When I was really young, I even enjoyed Archie and Richie Rich comics.

Kenn

I was always primarily a DC guy.  A few Marvel books here and there, and a few independents, but mostly DC.

I am currently so close to dropping out of collecting completely right now though.  Seems like the lunatics are running the asylums these days.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

steamteck

Quote from: Kenn on July 04, 2010, 05:46:44 AM
I was always primarily a DC guy.  A few Marvel books here and there, and a few independents, but mostly DC.

I am currently so close to dropping out of collecting completely right now though.  Seems like the lunatics are running the asylums these days.

If you count the modern stuff I'm pretty much nothing, I agree with lunatics running the asylums. Good way to put it.

BentonGrey

Like Kenn I used to be primarily a DC guy. *looks at DCUG* However, the modern mainstream boycott continues because I feel like even the good story ideas are crippled by bad choices in continuity.  Now I'd have to say Dynamite (Project Superpowers) or Red Five (Atomic Robo).  I also like what IDW is doing quite a bit.  I'd like to see them get their hands on a few other 80's properties, like Thundercats, see what happens.

Kenn, don't give up, just start buying independent books.  There are great stories being told out there, and with a little effort, you can enjoy them
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Rick Jones

I've been a Marvel fan all my life. I'm familiar with DC characters, but I never really bought any of their comics.

John Jr.

DC, Marvel, Independents and manga.
Like Daglob, Kenn, Benton and others I'm not a fan of modern day super-hero comics. There are great non-super-hero comics like Fables, but the spandex guys are living one of they worst eras. The only super-hero comics I'm reading are Adventure Comics, Legion (because of the return of Paul Levitz and the classic Legion) and Captain America.

kkhohoho

Um...mostly, none.  :mellow:

I used to be a big comic book guy, but then I just lost interest. There's too little content per issue and for the cost, which only comes out one a month, and you have to buy several issues (or a trade, which isn't as big a deal,) to get the full story, and they just keep on going and going with no real destination in site, so there usually isn't as much control in the plots on a longterm basis as I'd like. On top of that, most of the stories these days are nothing to be proud of, although I've sort of strayed away from the Superhero genre in general, aside from certain films and TV series... (Like Batman TAS.)

I haven't completely strayed away from the Graphic Novel medium though. Every now and then, I find a manga series I enjoy, and while there is some...questionable material in the genre, (such as Naruto or DBZ,) there's plenty of things concerning the manga field I like that doesn't have the stuff I dislike in comic books, both in the format, and the stories themselves, or the manga stories I like anyway, and there's enough of those.

I suppose what I'd like to look for in comic books is stuff that isn't within the current norm, (like Fables, as I enjoyed what I read of it,) but I just haven't been able to find much of it.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

The Enigma

Looking at my comics shelves, I guess the answer has to be Vertigo. I was a bit of a Marvel fanboy a few years back, then I got into DC and then Vertigo and other less superhero-y titles.
The Enigma skin by Juancho, thanks Jay. Fate skin by Kitt Basher, thanks Kitt. Microhero by Reepicheep, thanks Reep. Fate smiley by Paradox. RIP dude.

Velocity

Whatever company Grant Morrison is working for is my flavor.

DrMike2000

I'm with Velocity, I pretty much follow by writer.

Morrison's at DC, Millar's at Marvel or independent, Milligan's at Vertigo. Couldn't tell you off the top of my head who's doing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which is current Alan Moore I guess. I've recently started getting the Planetary trades by Warren Ellis, from Wildstorm, and been loving them.
Incredible Hercules was aweome, picked that up recently, so score one mroe for Marvel. Birds of PRey and Secret Six by Gail Simone, score 2 for DC. Empowered by Adam Warren was another recent hit, by Dark Horse this time.

I don't really get into continuity any more, and therefore I'll buy from anyone.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

spydermann93

Personally, I liked all of the comics until they became more "adult-like". I love reading the older stories and all of the cheesy 60's and 70's heroes and villains. :P

But more specifically, I like Marvel more. Their origin stories are unique and most of their heroes (not all though) are overly powerful. I like DC too, but not nearly as much as Marvel.

Cardmaster

Up until my teens I used to read Marvel comics almost exclusively. When I was in my late teens was the era of New X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, etc. and I absolutely loved all the angsty plotlines and such; guess it keyed into that teen-angst angle for me.
Anyhoo, for whatever reason, I'm now an almost 100% DC guy. The DCU just appeals to me a lot more these days than the Marvel Universe. It's definitely got more camp, and more silliness, but I love the variety, and I love that everything is a little more black and white (good/evil wise) in the DCU.

*shrugs* Can't explain it really, it's just kinda what happened, heh. Plus. The Marvel Universe is short on cool speedsters, and I love me some speedsters, haha.

So yes. DC for me!*

-CM :cardmaster

*Oh! And Scott Pilgrim. :)
Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

Failed_Hero

Me I am a fan good stories.  I grew up with all of these characters, not in comic medium.  Action Figures were my big thing as a kid, and if figures were around the same size and shape they wound up in my continuity.  so Captain America and Batman teamed up a lot.  Spider-Man and The Ninja Turtles shared New York. When i started reading comics I had no idea there was this division between Marvel and DC.  I took me years to figure out why Batman and X-men never showed up in each other's stories.  My First comic book was Wolverine : Bloody Choices which was a great story but a bit graphic for a 6th grader, I followed this by buying Wal-Mart Reprints of Spider-Man and Moon Knight and Azrael.

My re-emergence into comics began just before during Morrison's New X-men run before  Civil War.  Let's just the departure from Jim Lee's X-men and following Joe Q's murder of Captain America.  I solidified my position as a DC fan.  However since blackest night, and the incredible lack of pay off in my eyes from that overhyped crossover,  I have fallen back towards Marvel.
At the end of the day all that matter is that I tried, right?