News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The three headed monkey returns!

Started by GogglesPizanno, June 01, 2009, 09:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarvell

ok, so I finally decided to suck it up and get this (picked up Sam and Max season 2 while I was at it. I know its well over a year old, but I thought it'd go to retail stores like the first one. Guess not). I'm still not a huge fan of the control scheme, but thankfully I am getting used to it. It's better than Escape's, but I still wish they would have stayed with what was great in Sam & Max. Still, so far I'm glad I got it (demo almost turned me off completely). The graphics I actually had to turn down a bit just so it would run smooth, which surprised me, since I can run Call of Duty 4 pretty good on my system, but Tales, which obviously is less demanding in graphics, had more difficulty. Weird.

So, has anyone played Telltale's Homestar Runner game? I'm thinking of getting that too sometime, but wanted to know if it's any good.

TheMarvell

why am I the only one still posting in this thread? lol

anyways, just wanted to give you guys a heads-up. Today, September 19th, is international Talk-Like-A-Pirate day, and to celebrate, Telltale is offering episode one of Tales of Monkey Island FREE. That's right, FREE, so pick it up if you haven't yet. Also, if you've already purchased the season, Telltale is offering a FREE episode coupon for any other game series. I already have the Sam & Max seasons, as well as Strong Bad's game, so I picked up the first episode of Wallace & Gromit. This is a great deal and I'm really liking Telltale a LOT lately.

also, if you didn't know, episode 1 of Tales of MI has a "Treasure hunt" mode where you can find treasures and you get bonus prizes on their website. Some of the idol combinations (you'll know what I'm talking about once you do it) are trial and error, but if you get them all (it's really easy) you can get a 50% of any season of another Telltale game, plus 50% a single episode of another series, and some other goodies. It's really worth checking out.

also, episode 3 is coming out on September 29th! I can't wait.

is anyone else playing these games or is it just me? lol

also, I really, really want a Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. The first one was awesome and it sold well, and LucasArts just released their second batch of adventure games on Steam (Indiana Jones and The Dig).

Trelau

hoooo can we have a link to the free episode + coupon offer? sounds interesting...

edit: so i find the file. and big disapointement. you have to create an account, giving up an email and password and guess what?

QuoteOnce the download is complete, install the game on your PC and log in using the email & password that you provided on the previous page.

if i have to give an email and to be log in to play, that not a free game. either you give it or you sell it. but don't try to spam me, ans stay the Eff away from constant-login play. once you give the product i should be able to unplug my internet connection and play as i want.

kkhohoho

Today only: Since it's International Pirate Day, they're giving the game away for free, but only for today. The link is below.

http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

TheMarvell

Quote from: Trelau on September 19, 2009, 10:27:31 AM
hoooo can we have a link to the free episode + coupon offer? sounds interesting...

edit: so i find the file. and big disapointement. you have to create an account, giving up an email and password and guess what?

QuoteOnce the download is complete, install the game on your PC and log in using the email & password that you provided on the previous page.

if i have to give an email and to be log in to play, that not a free game. either you give it or you sell it. but don't try to spam me, ans stay the Eff away from constant-login play. once you give the product i should be able to unplug my internet connection and play as i want.

I didn't realize it made you do this. The actual purchase of the game doesn't make you do this, and neither does any of the other Telltale games. That's odd that this free episode is making you log in.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright, having played ep 1 for a while, here's my thoughts.

This is the real Monkey Island!  The puzzles are classic MI weird logic, the jokes are actually funny, and Guybrush doesn't come off as a useless buffoon, in short, it's everything Escape should have been.  I also dig the new look, 3d, but still cartoony.  The only thing I don't like is the new controls for moving guybrush around, but I can deal with that.  I'll have to check out some of their other games now.

TheMarvell

yeah, I love the new game now. It's not quite as good as the first three, but definitely better than the fourth.

right now, my favorite Telltale game is definitely Sam and Max season 2. That game was firing on all cylinders and made me laugh out loud a ton. Dare I say...I think it might actually be better than Hit the Road. That game had much harder puzzles, but Season 2 was just too hysterical. I loved every moment of it. Only thing about it is you need to play Season 1 to get a lot of the jokes. Season 1 was good, but Season 2 blows it away.

TheMarvell

episode 3 came out this week, and it features a fan favorite in a glorious return! Mwahahahahaha!

I love this game.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteMwahahahahaha!

Really?  I'd better hurry up and finish the first two then!

TheMarvell

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 01, 2009, 09:14:43 PM
QuoteMwahahahahaha!

Really?  I'd better hurry up and finish the first two then!

yes you should, or Mr. Mandibles of Doom will have a word with you.  :P

catwhowalksbyhimself

Got to Murray finally, and I must say that they nailed him perfectly.  After Escape, it's good to have the real Murray back again.  The only thing missing is his catchphrase.  He hasn't said it once.  Oh well, I'll still take it though.

EDIT:  Just finished it.  Loved having Murray at the closing credits.  First time I actually sat through all those.

TheMarvell

you should always sit through the credits, because there's always an extra scene at the end of them. Glad to hear you liked Murray. And I completely agree that he's back in full form. He was a waste in Escape, but he's made an awesome comeback.

GogglesPizanno

I think Episode 3 finally hit the "Monkey Island" stride. The first two were fun and enjoyable but it wasn't until this one that I think they finally nailed it. A lot of that was because of Murray... One of the greatest video game characters ever.

TheMarvell

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on October 14, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
I think Episode 3 finally hit the "Monkey Island" stride. The first two were fun and enjoyable but it wasn't until this one that I think they finally nailed it. A lot of that was because of Murray... One of the greatest video game characters ever.

I agree, but just adding to what you said, I think DeCava and his crew mates were much more memorable "Monkey Island-esque" characters than anyone featured on Flotsam or Jerkbait.

TheMarvell

episode 4 comes out this Friday (10/30/09), and guess who's in it?
Spoiler
Everyone's favorite seedy, hand waving salesman.  :thumbup:

TheMarvell

in case anyone still reads this thread, the fifth and final chapter will be released on December 8th. After that, you should be able to pick up a DVD with all the episodes and some extras for a small shipping price, just like with TellTale's previous games.

TheMarvell

I must be the only one still playing these games. Just beat the finale this weekend. It was a great run while it lasted. Chapter 5 tied up the first season nicely, but it's still left pretty open as not everything is answered. My favorite episode is still episode 3, followed by 4, then 5, 1, and 2. And if you wait till the very end of the cutscene at the end of the credits, TellTale pretty much announced their next game, which shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

It's Sam & Max Season 3.

TheMarvell

I'm bumping this topic instead of creating a new one.

They remade Monkey Island 2! You can get it on Steam or XBLA now for $10. I already bought it and beat it and just as you expected, it's awesome. They made a few cuts, however. The opening credits aren't there, and the iMuse system of music transitions is missing (but apparently can be easily patched). But it's nothing to gripe about.

I have to admit though, I've been around to other MI message boards, and this series has a lot of...well, idiotic fans. Lots of people pretend the rest of the series isn't canon because Ron Gilbert left the series, as if they're personal friends of his or something. I really, really don't get it, and it really irks me that they write off every other game. I'll never understand fanboyism.