News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Primal Rage

Started by Shaboba, June 16, 2010, 06:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaboba

Vastly underrated fighting game, in my opinion. The arcade version was superior to the SNES (which was a pretty faithful port, granted, but I digress) and I remember the control scheme was a little wonky -- you had to hold down two fighting buttons while tapping the d-pad. Still though, does anyone remember this game or any other gems like it from the 90s?

crimsonquill

Quote from: Shaboba on June 16, 2010, 06:05:53 AM
Vastly underrated fighting game, in my opinion. The arcade version was superior to the SNES (which was a pretty faithful port, granted, but I digress) and I remember the control scheme was a little wonky -- you had to hold down two fighting buttons while tapping the d-pad. Still though, does anyone remember this game or any other gems like it from the 90s?

Oh, yeah.. I very much remember Primal Rage 1 & 2 which were probably the best of the clones spun out of the Mortal Kombat ripoff period when that franchise made so much news. MAME is one of the few emulators out there that allows you to play the first arcade version exactly as it was meant to be.. cause the Genesis and SNES versions of that game just missed when it came to adapting the gameplay and graphics.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Shaboba

I adore MAME. I've gotten back into so many classics because of it... as well as the never ending stream of Marvel-licensed Capcom fighting games. So many great clones came out of that era... Primal Rage, Killer Instinct... sigh. The good old days.

lugaru

I'm angry now... I saw you post the title and guessed that somebody was doing a remake. Yeah, great game.. why dont we have something like it today?

Shaboba

THEY SHOULD remake Primal Rage. But like, in true 3D. With updated gameplay and music and stuff.

... great, now I've gone and depressed myself.

detourne_me

I always liked Eternal Champion myself ;)

Shaboba

Quote from: detourne_me on June 16, 2010, 02:03:28 PM

Ah, now THAT was a Street Fighter clone to be admired.

Velocity

Wait...people actually LIKED Primal Rage?

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Velocity on June 16, 2010, 09:55:34 PM
Wait...people actually LIKED Primal Rage?

I'll admit that I not only liked Primal Rage but I also bought and still own (somewhere, I think) the PC CD-ROM (for Windows 95) version of the game.  This confession will self-destruct in 60 seconds.  Even if you take pictures within the next minute of this post's life, I will deny that I had anything to do with typing this message.  Aye?  Right.  Carry on.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: Shaboba on June 16, 2010, 08:55:11 PM

Ah, now THAT was a Street Fighter clone to be admired.

i'd f called t a MK clone seeing as it had fatalities and stage deaths....

Johnny Patches

:thumbup: oh yeah i use to love that game for sega cd add-on the loading time took for ever. lol. the midas touch was the shizznit  ;)

Velocity

I always just played SF, AoF, FF, and KoF. I hated MK (well, except for 2. That one was fun.) and all of the knock-offs of it.

UnfluffyBunny

to this day I remember if you wanted to turn on blood and easy fatalities on MK1 for the sega megadrive / genesis you had to go into the menu and enter down up left left A right down >.>

Velocity

Turning on blood for the Genesis MK one game that I had was ABACABB on one of the screens.

Shaboba

The King of Fighters series will always have a special place in my heart. Rugal Bernstein is probably the most annoying/awesome boss ever in any fighting game (and he's Jewish; finally, my people have some representation!).

(Oh, and Vertigo from Primal Rage was always INCREDBLY broken. Massive attack range, decent projectile attack, two paralysis moves AND a teleport? Yes please)

lugaru

I must admit that of the hyperviolent games Eternal Champions was one of the best, especially the stage kills. The gave just seemed to have a lot of work put into it and it was very hard to discover all the secrets.

Now anyone remember bloodstorm? That one was awful, do a search on youtube for the fatalities. Blood and guts, not to mention loss of limbs mid fight.