News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

What if...

Started by JeyNyce, May 31, 2010, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

We all remember the What if comics, right?
I figure we can start one here, just think of something you would like to change in a comic, any comic and list it here.  I'll start

What if Goblin killed off Mary Jane instead of Gwen Stacy?  I think Gwen & Peter would still be together, instead of the mess that happen in Spidey's life.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

President Raygun

What if Mary Jane was the Green Goblin ?   :o  Spidey could go from hitting the jackpot to hitting a crackpot.

BentonGrey

Here's one that I've asked about a thousand times, what if Black Manta hadn't murdered Arthur Jr?  We go from an angry and mopey submariner-lite to a living-breathing superhero setting and family again.  No crazy Mera, no angst that the writers don't know what to do with, no years and years spinning his wheels as everyone struggles to deal with the fact that he's a superhero who's son was murdered in front of his eyes.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

GhostMachine

What if the Parellax entity didn't exist and Hal Jordan was 100% responsible for all of the evil actions he took? Would he still have ended up the Spectre? I'm pretty certain that he'd be persona non-grata as far as the GLC and a lot of other heroes would be concerned.....and no way would he have gotten the drop on Batman and decked him if they had a conversation about it.

What if Captain Marvel had turned out to be the real deal during Secret Invasion, rather than a brainwashed Skrull? Would have been interesting to see how Mar-Vell acted knowing he was eventually going to die, since he had been `yanked' from a time after he had already had the battle with Nitro and there was no cure (*cough*bs. Dr. Strange*cough*), and pretty cool to see him as an actual member of the Avengers for a while. (Since he was made a member posthumously)

What Ifs I'd like to see if Marvel ever resumes the series or does more specials:

What if the burglar had killed Uncle Ben AND Aunt May?

What if Steve Rogers hadn't ended up in suspended animation?

What if Norman Osborn had stayed dead?

lugaru

Nice to see some DC ideas... I floated a "What if DC did What If?" on another forum and some really cool stuff came up. Mary Jane with a symbiote costume would interest me, much like Superman staying dead (death of superman) would also be a thrilling scenario.

JeyNyce

A What If I would like to see:

What if Bruce Wayne became a cop instead of Batman?  Would there have been a Joker?  Would he invest in the police dept or would he create a SHIELD type squad?  Some of this was in the Marvel/ DC crossover, but I would like to see a whole story covering it.

lugaru

That would be cool... or a character a la Casper Cole where Bruce investigates and his persona brings 'em in. Still I agree that there should be more alternate stories with an unamasked Bruce like the Agent of Shield one.

As for What If a natural is "what if Jason Todd had lived?" specifically Jason getting darker and more violent and pushing Batman in that direction along the way.

As for a good elseworlds story:

I have a script I would like to do one day where the Joker is actually rehabilitated early and with some strong meds he becomes a reclusive crime fighter a la "Darkman" with the help of his ex-psychiatrist "Mocking Bird" (Harley Quinn). So those two are the batman and robin of the world while Bruce (while suicidial) shot a bat that came through his window and decided that instead of being super "anti-guns" he worships them as a source of power and protection. He is now an international arms dealer who has a mercenary, thrill seeking assassin persona.

Tawodi Osdi

What if...the former Earth 2 super heroes weren't killed off after the Crisis.

daglob

What if some other creature had attracted Bruce Wayne's attention as he sat pondering by an open window?

A cat crawls in... a spider swings in... a wolf howls... a night hawk screeches... an owl hoots or flies in the window... a bobcat or a wild cat or a lynx cries... a dragon fly or a preying mantis flies in...

Kinda like the idea of Bruce Wayne as The Wolfman...

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: daglob on June 01, 2010, 09:26:08 PM
What if some other creature had attracted Bruce Wayne's attention as he sat pondering by an open window?

A cat crawls in... a spider swings in... a wolf howls... a night hawk screeches... an owl hoots or flies in the window... a bobcat or a wild cat or a lynx cries... a dragon fly or a preying mantis flies in...

Think that one's been covered.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

daglob

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on June 01, 2010, 10:00:38 PM

Think that one's been covered.

So has, for all intents and purposes, the spider, wildcat, lynx, cat, and night hawk. But none of them had been covered in 1939...

GhostMachine

Okay, then....

What if Bruce Wayne had been inspired by a spider and Peter Parker had been bitten by a radioactive bat?

Tawodi Osdi

What if Peter Parker had been bitten by a radioactive chipmunk?

BWPS

What if he was bitten by Radioactive Man?

Man-man, Man-man, does whatever a man can
He can walk, he can run
He shoots people with a gun
Look out! Here comes the Man-man

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

JeyNyce

This one was covered by cracked magazine a while ago, at the end of the story a spider came in the window and Bruce was thinking....Web man, Killer-spider?  Nah, it would never work!

daglob

Quote from: GhostMachine on June 02, 2010, 03:32:43 AM
Okay, then....

What if Bruce Wayne had been inspired by a spider and Peter Parker had been bitten by a radioactive bat?

I already did skins for those at CO5.

ubergreendragon

What if every major marvel character were the oppisite gender of what they are now granted there are some instances of this spider-man/spider woman and hulk/she hulk but would be interesting to see a female wolverine ,iron-woman,magneta,Ms. Fantastic,Invisible-man,Fem-thing,Fem-human torch etc. you get the idea ...in fact would be cool if there was some meshes/skins to go along with it but guess thats something that belongs in the request forum

Glitch Girl

Quote from: ubergreendragon on June 02, 2010, 10:57:05 PM
What if every major marvel character were the oppisite gender of what they are now...[snip]

... but would be interesting to see a female wolverine....

:twisted: Since you asked...

Spoiler

Getting back on topic...

What if Rogue had always had control of her powers?  Would she have joined Mystique's crew or the X-Men?  There's a very good chance she never would have permanently gotten Ms Marvel's powers if she were in control.

What if Beast's experiment (the one that left him blue and furry) had actually worked as intended?

What if Eel O'Brien (Plastic Man) had never been rehabilitated and remained a criminal after getting his powers?

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Trelau

Quote from: Glitch Girl on June 03, 2010, 04:14:40 PM

What if Eel O'Brien (Plastic Man) had never been rehabilitated and remained a criminal after getting his powers?

It'd be cool if he became Elongated Man arch-nemesis, they'd have to think of ways to use their identical powers the other one didn't though off in order to comitt the perfect crime/solve the case.
Damn now i want to read this.

daglob

Quote from: ubergreendragon on June 02, 2010, 10:57:05 PM
What if every major marvel character were the oppisite gender of what they are now granted there are some instances of this spider-man/spider woman and hulk/she hulk but would be interesting to see a female wolverine ,iron-woman,magneta,Ms. Fantastic,Invisible-man,Fem-thing,Fem-human torch etc. you get the idea ...in fact would be cool if there was some meshes/skins to go along with it but guess thats something that belongs in the request forum

Funny. I recently did some research on the original Golden Age Brainwave. In his first story (I think it was his first), he was the cause of all the girl friends of the JSA heroes dressing up as their boyfriends.

DC has often done covers (ands stories) with trans-gender version of their heroes (especially the "Big Three").

BlueBard

I imagine the radioactive bat-bitten Peter Parker would have wound up pretty much being DC's Man-Bat.  Otherwise, he wouldn't be all that interesting.

The idea of Bruce Wayne being a different version of Spider-Man is cool, but aside from appearance I'm not sure he would be all that different from Batman.  He'd still use an array of gadgets, he'd still be stealthy, and he'd still be a consummate master of various martial arts.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Tawodi Osdi

What if instead of being found and raised by a hard working farm couple Kal-El was found and raised by trailer park trash.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on June 05, 2010, 10:49:07 PM
What if instead of being found and raised by a hard working farm couple Kal-El was found and raised by trailer park trash.

He would have had a mullet to begin with and would have to take the Skoal or Copenhagen out of his mouth before using his super-breath. That, and the upper part of his costume would probably be a wifebeater.

lugaru

Quote from: BlueBard on June 04, 2010, 03:33:59 PM

I imagine the radioactive bat-bitten Peter Parker would have wound up pretty much being DC's Man-Bat.  Otherwise, he wouldn't be all that interesting.

The idea of Bruce Wayne being a different version of Spider-Man is cool, but aside from appearance I'm not sure he would be all that different from Batman.  He'd still use an array of gadgets, he'd still be stealthy, and he'd still be a consummate master of various martial arts.

I would love seeing him more Spidey 2099... human but with some biological modifications like claws, wings, fangs, etc.

JeyNyce

Here's one:

What if the Heroes (DC & Marvel) switch universes.  Captain America or Iron Man would be fighting Lex Luthor.  Superman would fight Doctor Doom.  Batman would fight Green Goblin (that I would love to see)  Fantastic four vs Darkseid

Deaths Jester

What if they were XXX comics?  Some of thsoe I wouldn't pay to see...like the one GG posted..so wrong!!!

What if Paste-Pot Pete was actually something worth fighting?

What if The original Blue Beetle didn't die?

What if Batman had kept the Green Lantern ring?

What if Krypton hadn't exploded?

What if Daredevil lost something other than his sight?
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Deaths Jester on June 07, 2010, 03:24:06 PMWhat if Paste-Pot Pete was actually something worth fighting?

Ok, now you're just being silly.   :P

Quote from: Deaths Jester on June 07, 2010, 03:24:06 PM
What if Batman had kept the Green Lantern ring?

Done

What if Krypton hadn't exploded?

I'm sure this has been done somewhere, somewhen, but I don't recall seeing one.

What if Daredevil lost something other than his sight?

Done :twisted:

GhostMachine

Instead of Batman with a green power ring, what if he hadn't rejected the yellow ring?

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: GhostMachine on June 07, 2010, 07:14:48 PM
Instead of Batman with a green power ring, what if he hadn't rejected the yellow ring?

I can see two possible, obvious outcomes for that.  Both involve him using fear as a tactic more and more, until he's practically a fear-monger.  I can see the Phantom Stranger being involved in the battle to save his soul from irrevocably being lost.  Perhaps something involving Leslie Thompkins (is she dead yet?  I want to say I remember her finally buying it in the late 80's, but I can't recall), Alfred, or the "current" Robin that either sends him completely over the edge, or causes him to see how close he is, and finally renounce the ring.  I think it's pretty much a given that he's got the will power to resist anything once he sets his mind to it.