News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

freedom force meshes importing

Started by kpetti11, April 01, 2010, 04:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpetti11

sorry about all the threads lately... I'm trying to edit  :ff: meshes now, because as someone had said they can be converted but  :ffvstr: can't be (unless i don't know about a way...) but when i open the nifs in nifskope or blender, only the skeleton shows up. I've messed around with blender settings but havn't had anything. how do i get them editable? thanks

GogglesPizanno

I guess it depends on what you mean by editing. Most FF meshes work ok in FFvTR. Those that do need to be converted can be done using the converter found on Alex's site. If you are just looking to convert some meshes that dont seem to be working, that's the route you should go. Ive not heard of a problem with only the skeleton showing up, at least Ive never experienced it. In Blender during import there is an option to import the skeleton only i think. Do you have that checked by mistake?

If you actually do mean to "Edit" the nif files into some new character, then you have 3 options.

- You can use nifskope to move pieces around from one nif file to another and do basic editing of textures, properties and what not. This is probably the most straightforward and "easiest" method, especially when using something like Tommyboy's versatile mesh(es) as they have a plethora of pieces already on the mesh, just hidden. This is how most people today create a new character nif.

- With Blender you can do all of the same things as nifskope (in some cases easier, in some cases harder) but with the addition of actual mesh manipulation (of which as you've seen in your previous thread can be a little twitchy.) Blender is good for making static models and objects.

- If you are looking to create new character models from scratch, or create new animations, an older version of 3D Studio max is really your only option.

kpetti11

yeah, i've converted nifs using the tools on alex's website, but i meant i couldn't down convert from  :ffvstr: to  :ff:. I want to use my meshes and skins in FF too, not just  :ffvstr: but like i said, when i import the  :ff:, not the  :ffvstr: which work fine, it just imports the skeleton

daglob

Actually, I have had the problem of the skeleton showing up. I had to fix the alpha channel in Photoshop, then hide the skeleton in Nifscope.

Symon

Quotewhen i open the nifs in nifskope or blender, only the skeleton shows up.
The original FF meshes used NiClod nodes, which NifSkope still can't show, as they were only used by FF and quickly depreciated.

You should be fine opening anything other than an Irrational FF mesh.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.