Community Project and MOD IDEA - Freedom Reborn: Legacy

Started by lugaru, March 18, 2010, 01:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

So I was thinking, it feels like the party is starting to wind down a little bit and the people who regularly put out content are starting to dwindle (thank god some of the best still skin/mesh/mod). Still there is a small revival in interest for Irrational Games, superheroes and of course Freedom Force. A lot of this is thanks to steam.
So I was wondering: maybe the community should get together and build a "one stop" mega mod for new players. I mean I see huge mods all the time for Civilization and other games... we should put a 1 or 2 gig "mega mod" up on a trusted file website.

Objective
1) Create a mega mod that makes it so that noobs don?t walk away from fear of learning how to merge files and track down the characters they want. Yes, we did it, and we loved it, but this is 2010.
2) Honor the best (and the rest) of the freedom force community and try to get in a little something from creators big and small.
3) Create some buzz, get it reviewed, give people a reason to buy the game. Like ?well, it is kind of old but this one mod makes it totally worthwhile?.

Who would participate?
Volunteers of 3 types: the enthusiastic ones, the ones who already said "use any of my stuff in a mod so long as you credit me" and invite some of the best who we are not sure about.

What it should contain:
FFX
EZFX
Some community FX, attributes and voice packs. (all merged of course)
Several of the best community rumble room maps.
Several of the best community EZSCRIPT games.
Liberty Bay and alternate Freedom Force (modern, evil, remixed, etc.) characters baked in.
50+ must have marvel skins WITH hero file (important heroes, villains and teams) (up for debate)
50+ must have DC skins WITH hero file (important heroes, villains and teams) (up for debate)
A few dozen alternative skins like Hellboy, Invincible and so on. (up for debate)
Every AVATAR that consents to show up.
Donated original characters and teams.
Custom backgrounds featuring community credits (i.e. behold Afghan Ant! Behold Dr. Mike2000!)

Concerns
1) Litigation: honestly I feel like that day has come and gone, cease and desist letters don?t go out anymore and most mod communities are doing whatever they want. We should too. Still this can be avoided by releasing all copywritten material as expansion packs, exes with the needed hero files, skins and meshes.
2) Swiping: absolutely no material from creators who might not want to distribute. For example (to name a name) we would not include a single IPS skin or FX unless we have his approval in writing.
3) Workload: Hopefully a lot of what we want to do is already done. I mean we could break into the house of one of our members and copy his ?pefect? build. Still we could debate on content as a group, have an expert merge the important files, have one of our talented artists build some wallpapers for in between loading screens and ultimately upload it to a free host that deals with this sort of thing. I think we could easily get this done in 6 months since no new code, no new missions, no new anything tedious is required.

Expansion Packs

Make instal files with every skin, mesh and hero file needed for teams like The X-Men, The Avengers, JLA and also originals like The Strangers or some of the NPI superteams.
THOUGHTS?

lugaru

How I would like to contribute:

Hero files. I'm no USAgent but I follow his style and pride myself in building complex, balanced and creative versions of heroes.
Liberty Bay: I think the only skins built by me not remade by experts like Unkleman are Goo and Ironhyde. Feel free to use them.
Random skins: I've got some original heroes and villains, some Marvel and DC skins and my Avatar.

ONLY CAVEAT: I currently work 70 hours a week (no joke) so my time might be as limited as my talents. As usual I'm here trying to recruit and organize, which is easy compared to real work, but I hope the idea catches on.

Trelau

This is the thing every newcomer has been asking for, and i couldn't agree more. The all argumetn that looking for bits and bits of work make it exciting and more respectful of the creator is becoming really old. The truth is, i don't own that much non-mainstream skins and mesh, just because tracking them down is such a pain, and looking for a [insert mainstrem creato's name here] version is so much quicker and easier.

I believe the community ha decided long ago and engraved in stone that "compilation" mod were bad for the community of creator, i can only hope they'll change their mind when reading your project, because this could very well be a new era for the game.

I want to be sure, but we won't try to include everything right? just the most "common" request of newcomers that they expect in mod (a superman there, a spiderman here, a few new maps and a few original characters) and the "basics" that we give to every newcomer (FFX, EZFX)? it reaaly shouldn't be too big to give the new player the envy to search for more.

This could actually be a great publicity stunt for creator. Could we had a script to have a "If you liked this map/character/fx/mission, go check XXXX's website for more of his amazing work!" show up somewhere in this mod?

Anyway, i give full moral support,since i can't really give anything else. Well, word-of mouth when it's released, but that's about all i can do.

GogglesPizanno

This comes up every now and again, and Ive floated the idea to some people of an extended FFX with some of the harder to implement stuff like voice packs and maps. But when you get into including mods, skins & meshes, and hero files, you cross that line into creator issues. Some are ok with including their things. Some aren't. Some are fundamentally opposed to big "collection" packs (Remember the DCUG fiasco?) and some aren't. Then there is the whole preferences issue. Who decides what the 50 essential skins/meshes are? One persons favorite is not going to be another's. And how does that make those creators who's contributions aren't deemed essential feel?

I think a smaller more technical collection is a good idea, but I just dont see including the creative personal stuff (character/mod based content) as being a viable idea.

lugaru

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on March 18, 2010, 04:03:09 PM
I think a smaller more technical collection is a good idea, but I just dont see including the creative personal stuff (character/mod based content) as being a viable idea.

That was kind of what I was thinking, like it would rock to have superman or spidey automatically in the game but it is more important to not have to mess with FX, powers, voices and maps which is what really kills new players (and me after all these years). I do agree that art (skins, meshes) should be secondary to coding, fx, attributes, tribute art (loading screens) and the inclusion of Liberty Bay and alternate characters within the irrational universe.

Still I hope the idea of installers catches on, like imagine how cool it would be to download Afghan Ants "nextwave" team knowing that everything you need is there and for him to know that you will have the FX and powers needed because you are using this mod.

And I hope people understand that years ago I might have been opposed to a compilation mod, but at this point in the game I honestly think it might be the best thing for the community. And yeah, if somebody wants a mesh that is not distributed because of the creators wishes, he can find it elsewhere. This project is for the last people standing who want to leave something amazing behind.

Previsionary

The thing that never crosses anyone's mind when they bring this project up on its interval schedule is the file size this project would end up being (several gigs, which kinda eliminates how useful it'd be and who would use it) and who would host it. And regardless of how "old" the argument about respect may be getting to some people, that doesn't eliminate the need to get and show such respect to the people that provided for the game freely. You never know what situations could arise when you don't do such a thing.
Disappear when you least expe--

lugaru

Quote from: Previsionary on March 18, 2010, 04:11:31 PM
The thing that never crosses anyone's mind when they bring this project up on its interval schedule is the file size this project would end up being (several gigs, which kinda eliminates how useful it'd be and who would use it) and who would host it. And regardless of how "old" the argument about respect may be getting to some people, that doesn't eliminate the need to get and show such respect to the people that provided for the game freely. You never know what situations could arise when you don't do such a thing.

Actually I did bring all that up, in my first post. People (especially "kids these days") download huge mods for other games, if we put it on File Planet (ONLY an example, I dont remember if they have a good reputation) It would get downloaded much like the giant Civ 4 mods with thousands of doanloads or the 2 gig Fallout 3 weapon compilations. It would be useful to peole with a fast internet conection, which is a big chunk of people these days. I say 1 gig is not exagerating if we stick to FX, swaps, custom objects, maps and such instead of Meshes and Skins.

And as for participation, yeah, I've said a few times it is for the willing. I'm willing. Hopefully you are willing. Hopefully some of the best out there are willing. Honestly we just need 5 or 10 things to make something special, like PFX 1.2 posted on your site for example.

And I know the arguments and past attempts, if you click on my name you will see "Date Registered:  August 22, 2004, 07:27:06 AM "

I just hope things have changed, or that a small group of people at least have.

yell0w_lantern

I think that there are some really exciting mods going on at the moment with Patriot City Tales and the Amazanauts as just 2 examples.

Patriot City Tales would be great either as a lead-in to the FFv3R campaign or an extension of the FF1 mod for 3R.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be kind of cool to combine Son of Customforce-X with Patriot City Tales...

I've still got my Marvel/DC/Red Circle Crossover mod on the blocks.

Benton is taking a break from DCUG but I presume he'll get back to it.
Yellow Lantern smash!

deano_ue

so what would it be mainstream, mixture avs

and if it's avs then thats a whole new can of worms on what ones get used and how

DrMike2000

First off, feel free to incorportate FFX however you like. Ditto with the Strangers, H.I.V.E., Challengers and anyone else I've ever created for Freedom Force.
A link to Fundament Zero would be cool, of course. :)

Now, can this be broken down at all?

The hardest to install pieces are voicepack, FX and other things that modify .DAT files. This would be the base pack.

Characters can be incorporated in separate packs as hero files, skins and meshes assuming they dont use FFX power swaps, I think.
FFX customisations can be sitting there in the main install waiting for them.

This could make hosting a bit easier - have a basic package and then a group of character packs that clip into it.

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

detourne_me

With hosting large files, torrents are always an option too.
I think character/herofile/ezscript expansion packs would be the best way to go too. with a main install of FFX, FX, Maps and Voicepacks.
So I guess for starters we need permission from various factions. I'll try to install CQ's and Sledhammer's voicepacks to my main instal first to see how easy that is.

GogglesPizanno

Well, I still fear for the coming apocalypse when someone objects to something included and everything goes all free for all battle lines again...

lugaru

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on March 18, 2010, 11:57:25 PM
Well, I still fear for the coming apocalypse when someone objects to something included and everything goes all free for all battle lines again...

Yeah, for now I'm envisioning only active members who wish to participate to avoid that. Last thing I want is to use a skin and for somebody who has not been on the forum for 8 years to come up and say "well that eyeball is actually kitbashed from one of my skins, SHUT IT DOWN!". Let's keep it 99% within active members.

Quote from: DrMike2000 on March 18, 2010, 11:27:01 PM
First off, feel free to incorportate FFX however you like. Ditto with the Strangers, H.I.V.E., Challengers and anyone else I've ever created for Freedom Force.
A link to Fundament Zero would be cool, of course. :)

Now, can this be broken down at all?

The hardest to install pieces are voicepack, FX and other things that modify .DAT files. This would be the base pack.

Characters can be incorporated in separate packs as hero files, skins and meshes assuming they dont use FFX power swaps, I think.
FFX customisations can be sitting there in the main install waiting for them.

This could make hosting a bit easier - have a basic package and then a group of character packs that clip into it.

Seeing you post is a huge vote of confidence. Yeah, I was hoping we could have as much already made as possible including some some special attacks with custom parameters for custom characters and some swaps and so on. One example is that sniper rifles and melee cant reach too far but they can be modified in the edit tool to have custom ranges, so as long as we make a bunch of those powers and recycle them with custom characters that will work great. I'm thinking that I care less and less about it being a one stop for all characters and more of it being a platform for custom instal files of teams. Glad you like the idea and I would love to eventually incorporate The Strangers, it is one of the first teams I build every time I instal the game. And yeah, FFX is the first brick of any mod and hopefully we can do something ingame that sends people to download some of the amazing fundament zero mods.  My thoughts is that this mod will be like the "small world" ride, it is no substitute for traveling around the world but should make you curious.

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on March 18, 2010, 09:40:33 PM
so what would it be mainstream, mixture avs

and if it's avs then thats a whole new can of worms on what ones get used and how

My thoughts is lets keep things as un-controversial as possible. On the other hand you are a killer skinner so if you want to donate some avs and originals that would rock and we could do a pack later with some of those great bat villains you do and other stuff.

Detourne: I think if we do include a lot of voice files we need to give them generic names like "male - norse" for thor and so on. Otherwise anything we can get will help. I've realized that meshes, fancy maps and voice files are the only things that take up mad space, the larges (ffvt3r) fx packs and mods based on scripts are tiny.

deano_ue

if it's a set story with avs and such if people can come up with a decent and even story its a good idea

if it's basically just a giant zip with every ones work then its a bad idea and minefield of a one <_<

lugaru

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on March 19, 2010, 12:29:24 AM
if it's a set story with avs and such if people can come up with a decent and even story its a good idea

if it's basically just a giant zip with every ones work then its a bad idea and minefield of a one <_<

As much as I loved the Forum Battle Royale games way back, I'm seriosly thinking just Avs from people who are interested as one more layer of Freedom Reborn personalization. If people dont like the idea we proceed with the basics but I doubt anyone wants to start scripting another campaign they will never finish. Again though, not just one big zip of everyones work no matter how many times I say it... people who are willing to donate will donate. This is not the "grab everyones work without their consent and distribute it" project. This is not the "redistribute Texas Jack and IPS" project. It is a way to put out a stable and super complete version of the game for new players that happens to have a thick layer of FREEDOM REBORN tribute as icing and the promise of easy to instal expansion packs.

I dont mean to sound frustrated but it is like people are arguing with the idea of faceless, nameless theft of art as opposed to a lasting legacy for creators who choose to donate some of their already published work. Maybe I just did not make myself clear in the previous posts but I dont want anything that cant be traced to a person happy with what we are doing. Then again I feel like there is an institutional distrust against this sort of project, even if it is by people who have made stuff for the game since day one.  Still I see no difference between this and aother x-men mod that uses custom fx, maps and skins/meshes by other people. Just this one has less (no) story and more credit for creators.

Maybe I should explain why I decided to do this project. Two reasons:

1) I posted screenshots of the Ultimates fighting The Authority on a comics forum and people got psyched but when they asked "if I buy the game how do I do this" I had to say "let me get back to you". You know, lots of steps involved for new gamers.

2) I mod for Fallout 3. Some of my humble mods have been incorporated, expanded and improved as part of two of the largest game overhaul mods. And honestly... I'm thrilled. Not to be in the credits (which I am) or to have links to my other work in something popular or any of that... it is to see little things I did flawlessly connected, heck, improved, as part of a larger whole. I am not a great skinner or mod maker, but I've skinned for freedom force probably since 2002 or 2003 and lost things forever when some of the first sites whent down. I've never felt like my stuff is a work of art, just me being clever and then I get psyched when somebody else finds use for it. Maybe that is why I'm casual about redistribution of my work, that and the fact that everyone who has done sone has been extremely generous with me (in terms of crediting me and asking for my permission) but I want to get my one or two chunks into something great for new and old players.

BentonGrey

Well, I'm all for putting whatever we can in the hands of new players.  One of my major goals with my own work (jumbled, delayed, or messy as it may be) is to try to encourage new players to discover this game and join our community.  Obviously, we've seen the results of misunderstandings about big packs with my own efforts, as has already been mentioned, but I'd like to think that we could manage to create SOMETHING that would be acceptable.  It would be nice if communication and openness would solve that kind of problem, but from my own experience, it simply doesn't.  People are remarkably insulated from information that might seem like common sense to you when you're actually involved in a project.  I posted about what I was going to do more or less constantly for three years before I ever released anything, but many people still had the wrong impressions of my project.  That being said, you are absolutely free to include anything of mine in any kind of pack, but since my work is mostly mods, you'd have to check with the creators of the art assets included.  I'm too busy with a thousand projects of my own to take any kind of leadership role with something like this, but I might be able to help out some.  I think putting together a tech pack would at least be a good start.

Also, as YL pointed out, the DCUG is still alive (on life support maybe, but still alive), and while I have been "taking a break," I've also been working on it a bit here and there.  A master of EZScript has been helping me test it and overcome the odd bugs I got with the last campaign, but since I haven't heard from him in a long while, I'm debating simply releasing it unfinished.

Another also, I've been thinking about and plotting a project that I hoped would grow into a community project for quite a while now.  It wouldn't really be anything like this, as it would just be a mod, but I should probably go ahead and get something presentable together.  I'm actually looking forward to getting several of my smaller side projects out so I can pack them all up together, in much the way you suggest.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Gremlin

I offer my support to this, but I am wary about the potential blowout. I don't think that should stop us from going ahead with it, but we are gonna have to be super cautious not to step on any toes. On the bright side, I don't think anyone in the community would get insane about it if it did anger someone, because we all saw what happened last time.

We need a contract of some kind, maybe? Well, that is dumb because what are we gonna do if someone starts up a fuss, sue them in internet court?

lugaru

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 19, 2010, 04:22:15 AM
Well, I'm all for putting whatever we can in the hands of new players.  One of my major goals with my own work (jumbled, delayed, or messy as it may be) is to try to encourage new players to discover this game and join our community.  Obviously, we've seen the results of misunderstandings about big packs with my own efforts, as has already been mentioned, but I'd like to think that we could manage to create SOMETHING that would be acceptable.  It would be nice if communication and openness would solve that kind of problem, but from my own experience, it simply doesn't.  People are remarkably insulated from information that might seem like common sense to you when you're actually involved in a project.  I posted about what I was going to do more or less constantly for three years before I ever released anything, but many people still had the wrong impressions of my project.  That being said, you are absolutely free to include anything of mine in any kind of pack, but since my work is mostly mods, you'd have to check with the creators of the art assets included.  I'm too busy with a thousand projects of my own to take any kind of leadership role with something like this, but I might be able to help out some.  I think putting together a tech pack would at least be a good start.

Also, as YL pointed out, the DCUG is still alive (on life support maybe, but still alive), and while I have been "taking a break," I've also been working on it a bit here and there.  A master of EZScript has been helping me test it and overcome the odd bugs I got with the last campaign, but since I haven't heard from him in a long while, I'm debating simply releasing it unfinished.

Another also, I've been thinking about and plotting a project that I hoped would grow into a community project for quite a while now.  It wouldn't really be anything like this, as it would just be a mod, but I should probably go ahead and get something presentable together.  I'm actually looking forward to getting several of my smaller side projects out so I can pack them all up together, in much the way you suggest.

I was looking forward to hearing from you since you are kind of making the Ring Saga (I mean like the opera, although Lord of the Rings comes to mind too) of mods. This big, epic all encompasing work. Honestly part of why I thought of this project is because you havent been able to publish yet so I was thinking "If we do the same thing without a plot we might be able to finish it quickly and also scrap any controversial content". I mean the only fatal flaw of Freedom Force is that making your own missions is time consuming and the time it takes has killed more projects than anything else. But also since no character will be essential (there is no plot) we could drop ANY objectionable skin fron the list in 2 seconds.

But yeah, I would be thrilled to see a tek pack. All the great things people have done that require work (fx, maps and so on) and some Freedom Reborn flavor (Liberty Bay, some Avs, some originals, some new loading screens).

TrajkLogik

Quote from: lugaru on March 19, 2010, 03:15:34 AM
...but I dont want anything that cant be traced to a person happy with what we are doing.
And that's the key quote. If you don't want your work distributed in this way then don't donate it to the project. But then don't go later on, after the release, and complain that it doesn't contain a variety of artists' work.
The expansion pack idea is a good one. Maybe the Main release could be in packs too. If someone isn't interested in Voice Packs, they wouldn't have to download that part of it. Meshes, Voice Packs and FX would be the biggest items and should probably be made as separate downloads from the main pack of the DAT, Script, and Hero Files.
I can donate some time doing some basic skoping and scripting and hero files.

daglob

Quote from: TrajkLogik on March 19, 2010, 01:50:16 PM
Quote from: lugaru on March 19, 2010, 03:15:34 AM
...but I dont want anything that cant be traced to a person happy with what we are doing.
And that's the key quote. If you don't want your work distributed in this way then don't donate it to the project. But then don't go later on, after the release, and complain that it doesn't contain a variety of artists' work.
The expansion pack idea is a good one. Maybe the Main release could be in packs too. If someone isn't interested in Voice Packs, they wouldn't have to download that part of it. Meshes, Voice Packs and FX would be the biggest items and should probably be made as separate downloads from the main pack of the DAT, Script, and Hero Files.
I can donate some time doing some basic skoping and scripting and hero files.

That might be one of the keys to success: donations. If you want to participate, donate. If you don't want to participate, then don't.

lugaru

Donation is the best nation. And since we are donating electronic things it is like bringing all your books to the salvation army but still having them at home. I love the digital age.

As for separate voice: there is only one way it would work, which is as something you instal on top of the main mod. We are trying to avoid merging. Still this would make a HUGE difference in size, voice files are bulky but talk it being worth it, I love them. Without voice files well FX are tiny (I swear that all FX ever created for FFVT3R would be less than 100 meg, and we probably are just going to use 50 megs worth) and FFX core is tiny and MOST maps are tiny (I dont think we will include MARVEL NY, hahaha). Rumble room scripts are also tiny. I'm just thinking another 100 to 500 megs of mesh/skin art.

Heck, even if it does not work out you have no clue how much fun I'm having just engaging the community in this conversation.

Deaths Jester

My question is who would you consider some of the best to include because that could open a whole new debate that some people would get truly angry about.  I've seen it before is why I bring it up.

-DJ
"Yes, I'm still lurking...now go away or else you won't see a skin from me again!"
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

lugaru

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 19, 2010, 03:25:28 PM
My question is who would you consider some of the best to include because that could open a whole new debate that some people would get truly angry about.  I've seen it before is why I bring it up.

-DJ
"Yes, I'm still lurking...now go away or else you won't see a skin from me again!"

I consider myself one of the worst and I'm including myself. Honestly I want anyone who has something people want... the problem is that the debate does keep going back to the artists (skin/mesh people). Who are the best? Very subjective, I mean PODMARK is one of my alltime favorite skinners because he seems to read my mind when it comes to his project choices. Still I'm using "the best" in the context of celebrating our artists, scripters and techies. I'm not handing out oscars or awards, just setting up an art exhibit with hopefully something for all tastes.

TrajkLogik

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 19, 2010, 03:25:28 PM
My question is who would you consider some of the best to include because that could open a whole new debate that some people would get truly angry about.  I've seen it before is why I bring it up.

-DJ
Well, first you'd have to see who wants to donate. Find out who is donating what and if there are doubles, or triples of a certain contribution then most likely the friendly people donating will concede to each other to avoid stepping on each others' toes. Even then, after the main release, people who didn't get to contribute all of what they wanted, can make an expansion that adds their own content.
People donating will (should) know that they can't have every character use their skin or mesh. If there are 50 characters being made and 10 people donating meshes, then let those people choose 5 of their meshes each to donate for various characters.

I understand the want for minimizing merging, but isn't that what people would have to do any with expansion packs? Also, you could include the dat and files in the main release that includes all FX and sounds, but have the actual sound files and FX files in a separate download (You're right the FX probably won't be that big and can be included in the main release). That way there's no merging of dat files and the .wav files get unzipped to the correct directory to be installed.

BentonGrey

I think that donation would take care of a LOT of problems.  I actually think putting together a "basic DC" and "basic Marvel" pack of donated material is an excellent idea.  After all, I won't be getting around to MUG anytime soon!  If we have doubles, why not include doubles!  Also, we're missing something fairly obvious in terms of size.  Why not have one jumbo pack, and several smaller sub-packs.  If we're hosting this thing someplace free, who cares!  People can download the big one if they have space, or the little ones if they just want a specific thing.  The key, as someone pointed out, would be to make all the pieces fit together, which would be easy enough.  Just design it as a jumbo pack, and then chop it up.  It won't affect the game at all if it references sound files that aren't there, you simply won't have them play.  Also, I don't know about Prev., Cat, JJ, or the others, but I think it might be a good idea to put together an Irrational adventure pack to go with this, including, as some have suggested, Liberty Bay, PCT, and others.  I know several other FF projects are being developed right now.  That might be fun!

I'll post about the DCUG in the mod forums, and I may have something else to contribute to this discussion next week or so.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

area34

As someone who wasn't around for the "incidents" people are referring to and only knows what I've been able to read between the lines for months I don't get why it would be that hard to get content donated. Isn't as simple as an email to the creator? If they want to be included then they can be included, if not, say thanks for your time and move on. Why would there be hard feelings about that? As someone who is creating content (who also consider's himself sub-Podmark level), if someone asked for my stuff I would be first, honored and second, just say "as long as I get a credit for what I did you can take it". Maybe I'm different but as soon as I release something I've done I consider it gone. If people want to kittbash or whatever, I don't care as long as there is a readme that says what I did originally. If no wants to include my content that's fine too. It's fanart, it's not personal. It just means I need to do better to make the cut. But again, I may be different.

Trelau

area34, without relaunching the debate of "that time", i believe the real problem was that some creators were affraid a mod with too much content would overshadow the rest of the modding community. Some mesher/skinner, while not wanting to be included in the mod, were also concerned that newcomers would automatically search for content from creators included in the big mod without considering looking for alternative from lesser known mesher/skinner.
So it wasn't just a matter of asking permission and giving credit, it was [couldn't find a way to say it without it sounding like a provocation to relauch the argument]

But back on the subject, having a base pack has already been done for fxs and attribute, trying to make one big base pack with all fx (no size problem here i think), ffx attribute and mods, a few map (scale the number of map to max file size) and generic voicepack (so no highly recognizable character) would be a very good start.
Then adding a "marvel pack" with mesh/skin/herofile/voicepack to the convenience of the user looks very attractive...

Having quick (and mostly EASY) install pack would encourage new/lazy players to look for just that one thing missing from the pack to make them happy with their game. (i still have to give fully installed characters with already merged dat file to my friends for them to play the game; otherwise they see it as too much trouble..then again they don't speak english, so i can't just redirect them to a wiki or tuto)

So again, full  moral support

BentonGrey

Ahh yes, the overshadowing argument would likely be the biggest obstacle, even if we were to use only donated content. 
God Bless

cripp12

Quote from: detourne_me on March 18, 2010, 11:53:51 PM
With hosting large files, torrents are always an option too.
I think character/herofile/ezscript expansion packs would be the best way to go too. with a main install of FFX, FX, Maps and Voicepacks.
So I guess for starters we need permission from various factions. I'll try to install CQ's and Sledhammer's voicepacks to my main instal first to see how easy that is.

Back in the day when Tommy had his mega mod I helped out in mailing a cd to others.
That could be an alternative. I can burn a few and send them out. When you get it burn 2
and send it to someone else. Like a Pyramid.

GogglesPizanno

As Ive indicated, my fear is not about permissions or hosting as those two things are easy enough to overcome, its the fundamental  difference of opinion people have in regards to content distribution. It unfortunately is a purely ideological debate to which there is no "right way" to do things. It depends entirely on your POV.

For whats its worth, The map pack was in need of an update to FFX3.3, so if a consensus can be reached feel free to include it.