News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Looking for help from any html coder

Started by IceStorm, April 20, 2010, 03:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceStorm

I have a webpage I'm working on for someone, and they want a hit counter on the site.
I can't afford to pay for one, and they don't want to pay for one.
But so far every counter I've tried from a free site has either been completely useless, or caused my computer to crash trying to put it in place.

Useless as in; it doesn't count number of visitors like it's supposed to.  One visit it shows 15 visitors, the next time you check the site it shows 5, them maybe 21..

Anyone know of a free counter that actually does what it's supposed to do without dropping a load of viruses on you?
If brute force doesn't get the job done, you're not using enough.

Epimethee

To be blunt, hit counters were already looking cheesy more than 10 years ago. If your client wants to track site usage, a solution like Google Analytics (free, but obviously you're feeding the trackingosaurus googlus) is a few thousand times better. Of course, if it's only for a single page not hosted on its own domain, it might be a wee bit overkill.

Also for simple things like page views, the server log should already capture the info; if you have access to the logs, you just need to extract the info with a Web Server Log Analysis tool such as Webalizer.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

IceStorm

I'm feeding an ancient trackingosaurus googlus.  The guy I'm doing this for is somewhere in his mid to late 80s.
What he's claiming is his associates have checked out the site and told him he needs a counter so he, and they, can see how popular his site is.
Personally, I don't think he needs it, and I'm pretty sure they're just telling him that so they can then look at their own higher numbers with smug idiocy, but he's paying me so I'm trying to do it.

I don't want something that's going to take me a huge amount of time to put in, or require me to explain anything to him.  If I use a Log Analysis tool, I have to then show him how it works.  I dread that possibility.
A counter works fine pretty much all around, I just can't seem to find any that work and don't dump a ton of junk on me when i try using them.
If brute force doesn't get the job done, you're not using enough.

Epimethee

OK. While I never used it personally, a good friend of mine used Xiti regularly some years ago. I guess it should be fine for your need.

I can't find the description page, but the code seems to be at http://www.xiti.com/en/inscription/Gratuit.aspx ? I hope it helps.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com