News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Dollhouse

Started by Glitch Girl, February 13, 2009, 09:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Joss' new series premieres tonight, and there's already a petition to save it from cancelation.   :blink:

Guess we'll see if that's warrented yet or not.

Plenty of info here, I won't copy/paste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

lugaru

I read an article on Slate about it and it sounds nice, like it  has moral ambiguity and decent acting behind it. I'll see if I can hulu it or something.

GogglesPizanno

That petition to save it was started like a year ago just after the show was barely into production.
The fact it started was almost a funnier joke than the reason behind it (all Joss whedon shows on getting cancelled)

Im gonna give it a shot, but the premise sounds mundane from a genre standpoint, and casting Dushku in a role that requires her to "act" as a different person each week was.... well lets call it a bold thespian choice... but hey the guy has earned a bunch of cred from me for the muppet episode of Angel and Firefly... and maybe Dushku will surprise me by not being a spunky ball of anger in every episode.

Im still more interested in BSG on fridays....

AncientSpirit

Saw it.  Loved it.  Stroke of dramatic brilliance:  Not making them flawless!
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

Podmark

I saw the first one and I don't have any strong feelings for it either way. I've liked everything else Whedon's done prior so I'm willing to give it a nice long trial. The fact that I don't like Dushku really hurts though. But the fact that Helo and Fred are in it is certainly a plus.
We'll see how it goes.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Podmark on February 14, 2009, 07:06:13 AM
I saw the first one and I don't have any strong feelings for it either way. I've liked everything else Whedon's done prior so I'm willing to give it a nice long trial.

I felt almost exactly the same way....

docdelorean88

I think this has nice potential. That being said, it isn't going to make it. Firefly was FANTASTIC and due to fox's lack of line up control(Thanx for that by the way :angry:  :thumbdown:) got cancled before the first seeason was even over.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Midnight

catwhowalksbyhimself

The whole concept just doesn't sound that interesting to me.  Now that I've read some reviews, it seems even less so.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 15, 2009, 06:25:31 PM
The whole concept just doesn't sound that interesting to me.  Now that I've read some reviews, it seems even less so.

That is one of its big problems i think. While its well done, it really is not that different (aside from some sci fi window dressing) from any other "going undercover" bad guy of the week show. Sure it has the beginnings of a mythology and larger arc to it, but its really gonna have to do something interesting in the next few episodes to differentiate itself.

Glitch Girl

New season coming soon, new casting now
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090828/tv_nm/us_dollhouse

Among them, Whedon past castings Summer Glau and Alexis Denisof.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Sevenforce

YES!! Denisof! More exposure to this glorious accent and smooth chiseled chin and...uh...

I mean...Woo, go summer?

:P

I like seeing BSG alumni, and "Mr Lundy" from Dexter are coming in too. Seems he's going all out for this season, to try and keep it for a third. My opinion? Ain't gonna happen. Fox has it set to die, already have the sights aimed, just waiting for it to foam :D

It also sounds like Summer will actually be staying on for, not only a non-cooky acting job, but as a permanent cast member? Neatos, if so, can't get enough of her since Terminator, Firefly (her interaction with Badger was such a demonstration of her talent), and the Initiation of Sarah.

...Yes, I watched that movie. Leave me alone! :(
I so need booze -_-

cmdrkoenig67

LOL...uh, Seven...You do realize that Alexis Denisof's British accent on Buffy and Angel was fake, right?  He was born and raised in the States.

Dana

Sevenforce

As I mentioned in another thread, its noticable when an American does a British accent. The point, however, is that he sounds awesome when he does it, regardless ;)
I so need booze -_-

Podmark

Yay more Summer Glau! But I quit the series a couple before the finale. Will Summer and Wesley be enough to draw me back in?...
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Podmark on August 29, 2009, 09:02:34 PM
Yay more Summer Glau! But I quit the series a couple before the finale. Will Summer and Wesley be enough to draw me back in?...

Summer Glau - meh.  Now Jewel Staite . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Previsionary

Is anyone still watching this? If you're not, you missed out on several intense, jaw-dropping episodes that really make it seem like this series had a 2 year plan all along. Not to mention that there was a pretty high death count in the last three episodes; and is it me, or do Amy Acker and Summer Glau look eerily similar to each other?

In related news, the final episode premiers in two weeks. Seems to be going out on a high note.
Disappear when you least expe--

GogglesPizanno

The show lost me a while ago...I just could never get into the whole premise.

MikeB7

I've kept up with it because I have the time.  Two things that made the subpar points easier - the Whedon fan in me really enjoyed seeing Faith (Buffy), River (Firefly) and Fred (Angel) on the same show.  Not to mention Wesley earlier this year.  That's some real 'geek out' junk right there.

Secondly was Enver Gjokaj.  He was really impressive last season playing 'Victor-as-Dominic', getting the actor's nuances down perfectly.  But this season, 'Victor-as-Topher' has been simply brilliant.  He's a fantastic actor, I hope others notice his work in this series and hire him pronto.

Trelau

Quote from: MikeB7 on January 16, 2010, 11:25:00 PM
Secondly was Enver Gjokaj.  He was really impressive last season playing 'Victor-as-Dominic', getting the actor's nuances down perfectly.  But this season, 'Victor-as-Topher' has been simply brilliant.  He's a fantastic actor, I hope others notice his work in this series and hire him pronto.
couldn't agree more, that's definitely "my" revelation  of this show, i'm gonna keep an eye on him when dollhouse's over

Blkcasanova247

The show was really good as a whole. It's a shame that it really didn't get the opportunity to tell some more story but this final season was really fantastic. Good job Joss. :thumbup:
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Trelau

yep, it really didn't get any love, wether from joss's fans or critics; and the show was admittedly renewed for its second season just to avoid being "the bad guy whos canceled a joss wheddon show", that way the network could said it gave it a chance. But in the end, the show is pretty good. Some "engagement of the week" episode in the first season were really good, the casting and acting was fantastic and the story potential was exploited at its fullest (unaired season 1 finale and second part of season 2). But you can't argue with the Bad Rating God; i dont know the reason for that (bad timeslot? too much competition on other channels?just not interesting enough for the public?) but it would certainly could have been a longer show if it had started with higher rating: a show is allowed to have a struggle period (look at heroes...) but not if it's struggling from the beginning.
Anyway, i'll be waiting for joss's next show

BWPS

Quote from: Trelau on January 17, 2010, 07:09:20 PM
Anyway, i'll be waiting for joss's next show
Not me, he obviously isn't doing too well at it. He needs to get  back on Astonishing X-Men.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

MJB

The concept behind Dollhouse was muddled at first. To be honest it took far too much time to flesh out the concept. This hurt the show.

Can this all be blamed on Joss? No.

The true bottom line is that since "Angel" Joss has produced 2 "failures". Firefly lasted 1/4 of a season on TV and got a movie. His other series, Dollhouse, lasted 2 seasons regardless of whatever stipulations you want to throw at it.

All in all Mr. Whedon is not exatly a TV or Movie powerhouse. BUT I think it is HIGHLY unfair that someone would just dismiss his possible future TV efforts. Joss has a great eye for TV. He just hasn't had a decent outlet for his vision since Angel was canceled.

IMO if Firefly or Dollhouse aired on Sci Fi originally they would still be on the air today.

(my first post in over a month or so. GO ME!!)

Trelau

Quote from: MJB on January 19, 2010, 08:08:16 AM
IMO if Firefly or Dollhouse aired on Sci Fi originally they would still be on the air today.

Probably true. Joss doesn't do "mainstream" shows in my opinion, and producer keep expecting him to make a super hit that everyone will watch (like lost or prison break in their first season). but that's not what joss is for: he's a story teller, and a good one at that; the worlds he imagine are always unique and fascinating BUT...not made for everyone. So channels mlike scify that tries to appeal to niche genre oriented audience is exactly what whedon needs to have the sandbox for the shows he wants to make. Budget will be lower, but with all the friends he have (i'm talking actor friends, nearly everyone that worked with him would come as a guest star in a heartbeat) the quality wouldn't be too much affected.

Podmark

Quote from: MJB on January 19, 2010, 08:08:16 AM

That would mean that Firefly would be on to season 8 by now, which is a little unlikely. It's rare for shows to go on that long. Not that I'd be complaining, Firefly was great.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

BUMP!

Just a reminder: the series finale airs tonight.
Disappear when you least expe--