Champions Online Free Demo!

Started by Alaric, December 22, 2009, 02:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric

If you're on the fence about whether to buy the game... click here!

Note: The tutorial isn't actually very representative of the rest of the game, due both to the setting (much more CoH-ish than the rest of the game) and to the limits placed on characters (only two attack powers, no defensive powers, no travel powers, no super characteristics, etc.). Still, you'll get to use the character creator and experience the game at a very basic level, so why not try?
Fear the "A"!!!

lugaru

Got it downloading on steam, I'll try it when I get off work.

Yeah... I work all night.

bat1987

Huh I just downloaded the demo but I cant play it. After I log in it says `Account error, please contact billing support`, does anyone know how can I resolve this issue?

Alaric

Quote from: bat1987 on December 22, 2009, 04:45:12 PM
Huh I just downloaded the demo but I cant play it. After I log in it says `Account error, please contact billing support`, does anyone know how can I resolve this issue?

Seems to be a problem some people are having. There's a link in this thread that may help you. Otherwise, call the support number at the bottom of this page.
Fear the "A"!!!

lugaru

I was going to come back and post the link this morning in case it was helpful to anyone, but glad to see Alaric beat me.

So I recreated my City of Hero character (who I also made a copy of on Freedom Reborn) and this game is very well suited for him.

The Vocalist An 80's rocker who emerged from one of his tours with super sonic abilities. He does not know if it was from some experimental drug or a mystical ritual that a groupie performed (hey, it was wild backstage) but since hair metal went down the drain he now fights crime, if anything just to spend another day in the spotlight.

bat1987

AncientSpirit

Thanks for letting us know about this, Alaric.    I had tried CO when they had a free weekend but my computer and graphics card were both too old to handle it.    But now that I'm getting a new 'puter for xmas, I'm more than curious to see what CO is all about, and hook up with all of you over there.   :D

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

lugaru

Quote from: Alaric on December 22, 2009, 02:39:26 AM

Note: The tutorial isn't actually very representative of the rest of the game, due both to the setting (much more CoH-ish than the rest of the game) and to the limits placed on characters (only two attack powers, no defensive powers, no travel powers, no super characteristics, etc.).

Thank god for your warning, because I was REALLY disapointed with the fact that they would not let me level at all. Sure, I got some cool items, fought some good fights, did a few nice quests, but they really asked for the money quick. Meh, I might pay sometime next year, but for now I've got too many great games without full retail + suscription.

lugaru

So the game is $11 on steam until the 3rd. I might pick it up then, it kind of changes things.

GhostMachine

Quote from: lugaru on December 26, 2009, 12:54:21 PM
So the game is $11 on steam until the 3rd. I might pick it up then, it kind of changes things.

Apparently the version on Steam still comes with the pre-order bonuses (a Steam exclusive in-game action figure (vanity pet) and a couple of other things), according to some people I've talked to in-game who bought it just for the extras. (I got mine at Gamestop, and the extras from there were kind of lame)

If you do pick it up, be sure you post in the CO handles thread, so we can find you in game.

bat1987

Seems that they are going to improve it soon!
Hey guys!

We've been taking all the feedback of the Champions Demo into consideration, and are currently putting together plans for improving it. I can't talk about most of the stuff we're looking at, but we are strongly considering opening the demo up to include the CAN/DES crisis zones. As you've all said, the Crisis zones are some of the most fun parts of the game, and opening it up would allow players to also purchase new powers and explore various builds. I don't have a timeframe for this yet, but I did want to let you know that we're definitely taking everyone's feedback into account.

Thanks!
Daeke

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=96536&highlight=demo&page=3

The current demo doesn`t offer enough to make me wanna buy the game, hopefully this will change things.

AncientSpirit

QuoteThe current demo doesn`t offer enough to make me wanna buy the game, hopefully this will change things.

I felt the same way after playing the demo.  (In fact, my wife had bought me the game for XMAS and I returned it unopened.)

But there's something you can do about it.  Right now.  Before they even fix the demo.

There is a thread (not the one you linked to) that simply reads something like "Online Demo open now" or some such.   And I described my experiences with the demo and the next thing I knew someone very thoughtfully emailed me a referral code which allowed me to get passed the initial zone and into Canada and the Desert, where I could get more attacks, the travel powers, etc.   The referral code lets you level up to 15.

Since then, people have started to post more referral codes in this thread.    So log on and explore more of the game.  The experience is far more enjoyable.  While I'm still not sure this game is for me, you may find that with more experience under your belt, you really enjoy it.   Good luck with it.   

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

bat1987

Cheers mate will check it later!

NeoDarke

Well, I've downloaded the demo and played for a bit. So far, I'm leaning toward getting it, not sure yet.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

bat1987

Believe me, the only way to really test this game is to get refferal code from the CO forums or wait for the demo upgrade. Only after trying both Crisis zones and trying the travel powers I decided to get the game. Demo doesn`t do this game justice, I`m still on my 10 day trial and I`m enjoying it!