News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Using a character.nif animated as an fx?

Started by blackjacket, December 09, 2009, 09:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackjacket

Hey, quick question.  Is there any way, either through gmax or nifskope, to export a character in a fixed position (example: cyclops in 'fly' animation) to be used as an fx?  Trying to see if I could use an fx of a character's model for a projectile through living laser attribute and can't seem to figure out how to put a model in a position for exporting.

GogglesPizanno

I'm not really that knowledgeable with 3D Studio Max, but you could try downloading one of the male_basic MAX files and use the animation track to set the mesh to the pose you wanted, and then export as an OBJ... maybe.

JKCarrier

You should be able to change the character's pose in NifSkope, by using Edit -> Transform to rotate the various NiNodes. It's tedious, but do-able (that's how I made my "Catman riding a giant robot" skope). You might also have to rotate the Scene Root to get it pointing in the right direction. I don't know much about FX, but once you've got it posed right, I would think you could just change the name from character.nif to core.nif to make it into a projectile.

detourne_me

blackjacket

Your suggestion worked perfectly and it was way easier than I thought it'd be.  Now I'm gonna make a real drill claw for wolverine using an fx of him in a fixed position in conjunction with the living laser move..sweeet

electro

:thumbup:This is a great idea BlackJacket - I'm doing the same to my Wolverine :blink:

area34

Wow. I never even thought of that. Good Idea... That opens up a lot of possibilities.

blackjacket

Hey i was able to get it all to work..few issues i wanna bring up for living laser...the attribute assumes a long range for the power to use correctly..i actually had to mess around with ffx.py to bring the range expectation down.  Also, I'm trying to get it so that if wolverine misses the drill claw, he teleport to the end of the fx not directly in front of the target.  SO it wont look as pretty if you go with the default settings in ffx