News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

strangers mod

Started by freedomgod55, January 02, 2010, 11:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freedomgod55

Yes could someone please convert the strangers mod so you could play it on freedom force vs 3d reich if someone could do this that would be so great !!!.

GogglesPizanno

I would not hold your breath on that one....
You should just pick up FF on Steam for $5 (especially since Dr. Mike is working on a new FF mod right now).

Epimethee

Freedomgod, converting the Strangers would require a huge amount of work (think months), so I would indeed suggest picking FF1 instead. Its well worth it.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

DrMike2000

Like the guys said, converting it would be huge.

Aside from somehow porting every level mesh and prop mesh, as well as character meshes, there are gameplay balance problems.

The costs of some powers changed significantly between FF and FFVTTR, so you might find that some character's power progression gets blocked by a power that now takes 20,000 points to buy. (I think Hypnosis and Passive Defences to multiple types shot up?) The new simpler energy system would mess with some characters set-ups. The way that knockback works differently is bound to cause some issue I havent thought of.

In short, its a year's work at least, by someone who understands the mod thrououghly.
Which means me.
So no, I'd rather produce new content, like the Amazanauts, which I'm working on now.

Go spend 5 bucks on Steam. It'll also enable you to play Tales of the Navigator for free! :)

(To say nothing of the original FF campaign in all its awesomeness, it really would be a value for money decision!)
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Epimethee

Quote from: DrMike2000 on January 06, 2010, 12:11:01 AM
The costs of some powers changed significantly between FF and FFVTTR, so you might find that some character's power progression gets blocked by a power that now takes 20,000 points to buy.
IIRC, for that though, you should be able to create/edit the FFvsTTR power cost file (cf. "Help\Number Balancing in Freedom Force.doc").

DrMike2000

Good point, Epimithee. I think the Passive Defence costs weren't amenable to that fix though.

Passive Defences in FF1 cost N times as much to cover N damage types instead of 1
In FvTTR they cost N^2 to cover N damage types

So Jimmy Jupiter (for example) with his 80% PD vs almost everything would suddenly become insanely expensive. Not that that mattered, since hes recruited for free and already has that ability.

But Anemone I do remember acquires a PD as she levels (Sacred Armour) which I think was a low level deflect against a few types. So her levelling path would need to be looked at, at the very least.

I forget if Active Defences were changed to the N-squared rule too. King Zero and Miss Amazing both acquire them, as do DD and Adam Zorn? I can't remember all the details really. Did Marla get a Web Cocoon active defence even?

It would all be hideously fiddly.

Besides, I loathed the new energy system with a vengeance. That alone would make me never want to port the Strangers.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Epimethee

Active and passive defence costs can both be tweaked, but not the formula itself, so yeah, costs would still be messed. As a partial workaround, you could always use the Defender attribute (n? Untouchable) for raising passives.

But at this point, were the Strangers to get ported, I'm not sure a different game engine altogether would not make more sense than FFvsTTR. (Not for the faint of heart.)