Brand new Wii owner...need advice for games

Started by captmorgan72, December 26, 2009, 03:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

I bought a Wii for my girlfriend for Christmas. Along with that I picked up Wii Sports Resort. The system is much more fun than I would have thought. What are some must haves for this system?

Trelau

Mario Bros Wii, Zelda Twilight Princess. And that's it.

thalaw2

I didn't like Zelda too much....too kidsy for me.
革命不会被电视转播

JeyNyce

Mario Games are always good.  Wii sports is good too.  We was playing Wii sports for a while before we bought another Wii game.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

captmorgan72

What about Marvel Super Hero Squad? I know this is a kid's game but it looked at home on the Wii. Though I have heard nothing but bad things about it.

captmorgan72

How about Star Wars Lego the Complete Saga? Anyone have this one for the Wii?

Trelau

Lego Star Wars is a great game, but i only got it for pc. i couldn't tell if the wii version is different, but if not it's a great investment (but solo only i' think)

captmorgan72

The control scheme is the selling factor for the Wii version, or so I was told.

detourne_me

If you are looking at more mature games, No More Heroes, Madworld, and Bikini Samurai Zombie Kill Squad are some of the best games.
Some of the shooters are really good too, House of the Dead:Overkill is a lot like Left 4 Dead but MUCH funnier.

BentonGrey

Lego Batman is surprisingly fun and was, until the release of Arkham Asylum, the best Batman game ever made....as sad as that may be.  Ghostbusters is good on the Wii, and Battalion Wars II is a lot of fun.  I also like Mario: Galaxies, and even my wife (who hates video games) has gotten into playing it.  Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a MUST.  It is hours and hours and hours of button mashing fun.  I actually didn't like Lego Star Wars as much as most seem to, as I found the levels more contrived than its brother games.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

DrMike2000

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

clownprince

Xenolith

I just bought a Wii and a Wii Fit this past weekend.  My girlfriend will play Wii Sports Bowling with me, but little else.  Are there any good games that are easy and fun?

BWPS

WarioWare Smooth Moves! It's loads of fun and one of the multiplayer modes allows like 30 players.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Xenolith on January 04, 2010, 08:55:18 PM
I just bought a Wii and a Wii Fit this past weekend.  My girlfriend will play Wii Sports Bowling with me, but little else.  Are there any good games that are easy and fun?

My wife was exactly the same way.  I actually bought Mario: Galaxies for her, so that we'd have something to play together, but she turned her nose up at it.  Months and months later, she was really sick and bored from having to spend all day on the cough.  I told her she should play the Wii if she was that bored, and said she should try Mario.  She replied, "We have Mario?"  I stared at her open-mouthed for a minute....but eventually got over her silliness and put it on for her.  She really enjoyed it, despite complaining that it was harder than original Mario, and she "can't deal with the 3D."  The next day, I came home from work to find her playing Mario, so engrossed that she couldn't even be troubled to say hello.  Ha, I was astonished.  All of that to say that Mario: Galaxies is fun, although the later levels get too hard for a casual player.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Viking

I've also been enjoying Super Mario Galaxy, though I wish Mario didn't sound like a castrati.  Thankfully, his noises thus far are mostly limited to inarticulate small shouts as he jumps around.

I've also enjoyed Zelda: Twilight Princess thus far, as well as Lego: Batman.

BlueBard

My boys just got a wii as a gift from a relative.  Can anyone recommend kid-friendly games?

The boys are interested in racing games and sports games.  My wife and I prefer games that will keep them off the couch.

A couple of things, though...

I want to avoid games with heavy metal type soundtracks.

And, my wife has epilepsy so it would be good to avoid games with a lot of flashing screens.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BWPS

MarioKart for Wii is the best racing game for this current generation of consoles. I don't know much about epilepsy but I can't think of any flashing screens that would be a problem. I also heard that the Speed Racer game was good but if its anything like the movie, its probably going to be the worst possible choice.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

cripp12

Yep Mario Cart is the way to go. Don't forget to open the mirror tracks.

Silver Shocker

I just got a Wii myself and got Super Mario Galaxy, and once I started playing it, I was addicted to it in a way I haven't been to a game in years. I beat the main game in about 3 or 4 days but have kept playing to play the extra levels and get all the stars.

QuoteI've also been enjoying Super Mario Galaxy, though I wish Mario didn't sound like a castrati.  Thankfully, his noises thus far are mostly limited to inarticulate small shouts as he jumps around.

I was thrown off by Mario's voice in this game when I first started playing. He sounded noticeably different from all the other Mario games I've played where he talks (including Bowser's Inside Story and Mario Bros Wii, both of which came out after this), and I remember saying he almost sounds like Mickey Mouse. To be honest though I must have gotten used to it over the course of the game, because now I don't really notice.

Question for anybody who's played Mario Kart Wii: how good is it in light of other Mario Kart games? A buddy of mine swears up and down that Double Dash for the Gamecube is the funnest Mario Kart he's ever played, and the only Mario Kart game I actually own is the original SNES version, so I'm wondering if I should get this one now that I have a Wii or just get one of the older ones on the cheap.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Zippo

Mario Kart Wii is hands down better than Double Dash IMO. I would say the only game in the series of comparable quality to MK Wii would be 64. 

BentonGrey

Quote from: BlueBard on March 23, 2010, 12:53:20 PM
My boys just got a wii as a gift from a relative.  Can anyone recommend kid-friendly games?

The boys are interested in racing games and sports games.  My wife and I prefer games that will keep them off the couch.

A couple of things, though...

I want to avoid games with heavy metal type soundtracks.

And, my wife has epilepsy so it would be good to avoid games with a lot of flashing screens.

Hey BB, you might try Wii Sports Resort or Boom Blox.  Both of those are likely to have you up and moving around, and both are tons of fun while still being completely kid-friendly.  Both of those are also hits with my anti-video game wife and family.
God Bless

freegentile

Greetings from your fellow Shazam holdout in the FF community, captmorgan!

Right now, we have slim pickins for superhero games for the Wii, sadly. No DC presence, sadly, but plenty of Marvel stuff...unless you go the Lego Batman route, of course. I got Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but the case art & game content's not for kids...case art should have been a giveaway on that one, I tried it, & was OK for a bit, but the scantily clad women folk & the bad guys...one bad guy, Arcade, has a "Murder World" amusement park w/ attacking clowns...make it not acceptable for children. Definitely one of those situations where you're going, "Man, if they just would have left out (fill in the blank), it would've been perfect!" Game's actually a bit like FF. Can't zoom the camera in on the action, though, & that can be annoying.

You could go w/ the Marvel Superhero Squad, which is the kid version of many of the Marvel heroes...supposedly from some cable TV series. It doesn't get great reviews, but I got a discounted copy & it's actually pretty fun so far.

If you want to delve into DC characters, I recommend finding an old PS2 Slim & getting Justice League Heroes, Superman Returns, & Superman: Shadow of Apokolips. I got a great deal on that very combo on eBay recently. So far, I'd only had the Wii...my first game system since the old Nintendo 64 days of the 80's. JLH looks awesome & plays very much like FF & MUA. And you can zoom in the camera on JLH  :)

As for children & having a Wii, but keeping them up & moving, yes, you have to do the Wii sports games. Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort certainly accomplish that goal. Wii Fit games do this, as well. We have a rule that no one sits down to play video games, so that fixes that  :)

Enjoy! And let's see more Captain Marvel in DC stuff, by golly!

captmorgan72

I just picked up Red Steel 2 for the Wii and it's awesome. The best Wii game so far I have played. As far as Captain Marvel in games, I have DC vs MK for my Xbox 360 and Marvel is in that and based on the art of Alex Ross to boot. Love that game and would never get rid of it.