Farewell, Dollhouse

Started by Uncle Yuan, November 11, 2009, 10:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

I still haven't had a chance to watch this show, mostly because I don't have a television for anything but watching DVDs (no cable, pre-digital TV).  And as such I feel a little guilty about it's death.  From what I've heard it was good-but-not-great, which would still put it ahead of 98% of shows.  And there's a side of me that kind of blames Joss - he did get back into bed with Fox, after all.  Still, I think on the whole he does great work and I always want his stuff to succeed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ibd4c93af8a3194fac38308723ead997d
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Marmeille

:angry:  :thumbdown:

I was expecting this, but it still sucks.

This show was great, way better than anything else on TV right now.

I agree though that Joss Whedon is a bit to blame, he should never EVER have trusted FOX again.

I really hope Dichen Lachman (Sierra) gets booked on another show or starts doing movies or something, she's not only extremely hot but seriously really talented, she was totally stealing the show everytime she was onscreen.
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright guys, you can't blame Fox for this one.  They gave the show a second season, in spite of abysmal ratings, only for even more horrible ratings the second season.  They did what they should have done, given the circumstances.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Marmeille

Well you are right Fox did give Dollhouse a second chance, I was surprised actually when this show got a second season. It's time for Joss Whedon to stop dealing with network television, he should go with cable channel like SyFy now and manage on lesser budget or whatever and hope for worldwide syndication and good dvd sales. I of course have no clue how things really work in the entertainment business (lol), I'm just a disappointed fan that lost his current favorite tv show.
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

Podmark

I watched all but two episodes of the first season and honestly it never did anything for me. Angel and Firefly are two of my favorite shows ever, I was a Buffy fan, and Dr. Horrible's blog is fantastic but Dollhouse just wasn't for me. It does suck for the fans, and Whedon too.

In the case of Fox they did put it on Friday nights aka the deathslot, but they gave it a fair bit of promotion and with the exception of Epitaph One they didn't screw around with the episodes like they did to Firefly. And honestly the show shouldn't have made it out of season one with it's ratings.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Indeed, it shouldn't have, despite it getting better in the second half of the first season. That was around the time the show found its legs and Amy Acker was given a little more to do. But yeah, it was fan support that got the show to season 2, and at least they're airing all the remaining episodes. Fox usually wouldn't even do that.

But seriously, all their Friday night shows are canceled. It was a dumb idea to start a show out on that block to begin with. Not surprising from Fox, but still....
Disappear when you least expe--

Courtnall6

I can't say I'm surprised by this. I heard very little buzz about this show.

I'm not a Whedon fan and only caught a few minutes of an episode(enough to know to avoid it)...so this gets a big old "meh" from me.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

GogglesPizanno

I tried to like the show but eventually gave up on it due to, as C6 put it, "a big ol 'meh'"
Hopefully Whedon will regroup and give us a new Dr. Horrible.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quotegive us a new Dr. Horrible.

Eh, he announced that a long time ago.  Began working on it since the first one came out actually.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

bredon7777

Sad, but completely unsurprising.  At least they'll air all the episodes.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 12, 2009, 02:40:18 PM
Quotegive us a new Dr. Horrible.

Eh, he announced that a long time ago.  Began working on it since the first one came out actually.

Like everything announced, I'll believe it when I see it.

Talavar

Joss Whedon needs to stop trying to work on network television.  Dollhouse never really did it for me, but if Firefly had been on a cable channel, it might still be on the air now (or at least we would have got more than half a season).

Glitch Girl

Saw it coming, was hoping they'd at least finish out this season (which I was surprised got renewed in the first place).  The first season was fun, though not as strong as it could have been.  The second season though, they were really pushing things, and I was really enjoying it.

I hope the guy playing Victor gets picked up for something else - he's really impressed me. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Sevenforce

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 13, 2009, 04:57:34 PM
Saw it coming, was hoping they'd at least finish out this season (which I was surprised got renewed in the first place).  The first season was fun, though not as strong as it could have been.  The second season though, they were really pushing things, and I was really enjoying it.

I hope the guy playing Victor gets picked up for something else - he's really impressed me. 

Victor playing Donovan = pure, liquid acting in its most condensed form.

I'm not surprised - yes, it's a purely business decision, but still...its Fox. They like to axe shows that I get invested in -_-
I so need booze -_-

MJB