Uwe Boll and good movie on the same sentence????

Started by The_Baroness, October 06, 2009, 10:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hamrick

but the reviewer summed it up when he said that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

though from the sound of it, the film is not THAT good just good by the standards of the rest of the dreck that Boll has directed.

Ares_God_of_War

this reminds me of a quote by Joe Wilson, "You Lie!"
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteNot just good in comparison to the rest of his filmography, but a good movie in its own right.

Right in the beginning there.

Still, it's not the sort of movie I'd ever watch, so it doesn't matter to me.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

marhawkman

Yeah, Boll is responsible for a LOT of total garbage.  something half-decent from him is amazing.....

BentonGrey

No, I mean a movie about a person that goes on a killing spree?  I knew our society was sick, after all the glut of serial killer movies, wherein people wallow in the worst of humanity is alarming, but this is even more disturbing to me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Trelau

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 07, 2009, 05:56:18 PM
No, I mean a movie about a person that goes on a killing spree?  I knew our society was sick, after all the glut of serial killer movies, wherein people wallow in the worst of humanity is alarming, but this is even more disturbing to me.
yeah right. And 24 doing the apology of "the end justify the mean" and "i can torture because i'm right" wasn't disturbing at all. I'm more shocked by the fact that...well, people going on killing spree in the US is factual, and quite frequent (in comparison to other country). It's more "inconsiderate" i would say, for actual victims...
Then again, just an action movie, suppose to be fun and all

GhostMachine

A woman who works at my local comic books shop is trying to work in the movie business (as a writer and actress, but she wants to produce eventually), and I mentioned Uwe Boll to her once after a conversation turned to M. Night Shyamalan. She had never heard of Uwe Boll (fortunately for her), and I summoned him up thusly:

Uwe Boll makes Ed Wood look like Orson Welles.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: GhostMachine on October 07, 2009, 09:28:07 PM
A woman who works at my local comic books shop is trying to work in the movie business (as a writer and actress, but she wants to produce eventually), and I mentioned Uwe Boll to her once after a conversation turned to M. Night Shyamalan. She had never heard of Uwe Boll (fortunately for her), and I summoned him up thusly:

Uwe Boll makes Ed Wood look like Orson Welles.

I wouldn't say he makes Ed Wood look like Orson Wells.  Ed Wood was not that much better than Boll.  Well, in my opinion.

as for the woman who works at your comic shop, have her email interstatefilms@gmail dot com and will see if we can help her out with getting into the business.

detourne_me

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 07, 2009, 05:56:18 PM

I understand what you mean.  I have a hard time with the review comparing the movie to Falling Down (which IMO is one of the greatest films)
If this film can turn the mirror back on ourselves as we watch it, showing how disgusting violence truly is (in mass media) then the film can deserve some praise. But I still find it hard to believe since the filmmaker himself is responsible for a lot of junk violence.

Regardless, I probably will watch it. But Hot Fuzz probably did a better job at showing the ridiculousness of action movies.

marhawkman

Hehe... Hot Fuzz succeeded because it was funny. :)

TheMarvell

I completely agree with Benton on this. When I read the premise my stomach turned a little bit. The premise alone is disturbing and makes me want to avoid at all costs. Uwe Boll doesn't exactly make "deep" films and I find it highly unlikely it's even remotely close to being as good as Falling Down.