new clone wars season

Started by UnfluffyBunny, August 25, 2009, 12:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnfluffyBunny

After seeing the initial trailer, I was extremely hyped to be seeing mandalorians in the upcoming series, but alas, as always, too good to be true.
the use of mandalorians in the new clone wars series brings upon some MAJOR canon issues, retconning alot of the books, so much that the main mandalorian writer (karen traviss) has decided to not carry on with her books.

to start with, Keldabe is the capital of mandalore prime, NOT "Sundari" which has never appeared in star wars before now.
Mandalore prime should be mostly farmland with some large-ish cities, not a desert wasteland.
most mando'ad live on farms and homesteads, not in glass towerblocks.
boba fett never visited mandalore prime as a child, infact he did not actually become a mandalorian till after escaping the sarlac.

lucasarts makes starwars fans rage again ?_?

Talavar

Didn't the prequels already demonstrate that the Star Wars expanded universe has about as much weight in Lucasfilm's interpretation of canon as fan fiction?

Kommando

Karen Traviss' Blog and what she has to say about the whole thing.  This doesn't really surprise me much.  Certainly the Expanded Universe setting has some interesting things, and Lucas picked and chose what he liked and what he didn't care for.  For instance, Coruscant was named by Timothy Zahn, and had not staff petitioned Lucas, it would have likely had the name of Had Abaddon (which would have killed the Thrawn Trilogy right there).  Aayla Secura made it in because Lucas liked the cover of the comic.  I'm still waiting see something in the new shows which will wipe out everything after ROTJ, continuity wise.  Fans may not like it, but ultimately its Lucas's IP to play with as he sees fit. 

Talavar

Very true, but I'm also fairly certain Lucas' involvement in the Clone Wars series is largely as a figurehead.

And in regards to the Expanded Universe, most of Timothy Zahn's first trilogy (the best the Expanded Universe has to offer) was invalidated by the prequels, and the rest was largely built on that foundation.

Kommando

Quote from: Talavar on August 25, 2009, 05:18:52 AM
Very true, but I'm also fairly certain Lucas' involvement in the Clone Wars series is largely as a figurehead.

And in regards to the Expanded Universe, most of Timothy Zahn's first trilogy (the best the Expanded Universe has to offer) was invalidated by the prequels, and the rest was largely built on that foundation.

Not really.  Aside from the timeline, it was still workable.  In fact, I recall Traviss working in the Spaarti cloning tubes after Kamino was totalled to explain why the new clones (and subsequent stormtroopers) were teh suck.  The Thrawn trilogy could use a little updating, but it still remains a viable story.

Trelau

I didn't know that what Lucas did since the prequel was considered canon. The expanded universe (novel and comics) has much talented writers than Lucas, and as stated above he mostly just put his name on the product without getting too involved nowadays. I'm sorry but "clone wars" is so much infuriating (yey! all star wars fans must be 4 years old! let's do cheap battle droid joke and have no plot whatsoever!). And retckoning the mandalorian? Those guys better not cross my path. Anyway, i don't see them going post ROTJ without ruining a lot of their own material. Some of their most prolific comics (= make good money) are set in a future that cannot be compatible with what lucas has in mind for his saga. So either you stay the hell away from post ROTJ to avoid disproving the comics/novels (high risk of drop in sales) or you just retell what's already been told (in a more talented way than theirs...)
i may sound a little pro -extanded universe. don't get me wrong, it has flaws (filler writers as i call them, who always write lame books to temporise while the next big hit is in preparation) but it has done so much good to some character and it brought us some very good storyline (Zahn as always...still the best). I'm a fan of the X-wing trilogy for example (novel one, didn't read the comics) who gives Wedge Antille and the Rogue Squadron the treatment it deserve. Or "I, Jedi" who develop the Corran Horn character very well. On the other hand i'm not fond of the New Jedi Order.
And you know what? It's ok, because the expanded universe let you choose (to a point) what you want to believe about the star wars universe. If you don't like a book you can cast it out of your continuity. Sadly you apparently can't cast the prelogy out of continuity.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Talavar on August 25, 2009, 01:44:42 AM
Didn't the prequels already demonstrate that the Star Wars expanded universe has about as much weight in Lucasfilm's interpretation of canon as fan fiction?

Not at all.

Shogunn2517

A lot of what the Expanded Universe is has been made to be fluid and not set in stone.  If Lucas had named Courscant Had Abaddon the entire Thrawn trilogy wouldn't have been thrown in to infinities, it would have been refitted back into continunity.  It's been done before.  It's been done with the Clone Wars and it'll be done in the future as well.

Talavar

The Zahn trilogy was predicated on assumptions about the Clone Wars that were shown to be incorrect when Lucas underwhelmed us with the basis of the Clone Wars.  Without that, many of the events that occur in the Zahn novel trilogy still work, but the reason for any of it happening in the first place no longer make sense.

Other authors can try to shoehorn in a retcon to make things still work, but I think the point stands - to Lucas the expanded universe is largely irrelevant, and ready to be invalidated as convenient.