News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The DCU is getting kind of crowded

Started by Renegade, July 27, 2009, 12:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade

First the Shazam-verse way back when, then the Charlton gang 25 years ago, and now in pretty rapid succession the Milestone hommies, the Red Circle guys, and now, officially, the Thunder Agents. As much of a DC lover as I am, I'm having a hard time believing that they'll be able to do justice to this many new characters.
Hey Kids, COMICS!

yell0w_lantern

I thought they had Red Circle and Milestone in the 90s?
Yellow Lantern smash!

Renegade

Well, yes. But they weren't part of the DCU. Now they're being integrated in.
Hey Kids, COMICS!

Jakew

Eh, the DC universe can fit plenty of characters in their own little minis and specials. I mean, look at Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers ... cool series that sort of existed in its own little part of DC continuity, and while the characters have never really been touched again, they're still around for any enterprising writer to fiddle with.

It really just depends on the strength of the characters regarding being popular enough to thrive (like Captain Marvel, Question), or sink into obscurity (Peacemaker, Thunderbolt).

The Hitman

I think it's kinda funny how Dwayne McDuffee gave an easy cop out if DC ever decides to discontinue use of the Milestone characters.

Spoiler

Essentially, Dharma is "holding" Earth-1 and Milestone-Earth together, fusing false memories into each person on the planet. If he is ever distracted, the two Earths will slip apart, and one will whither away.

marhawkman

-_- that is lame.....

why not just retcon it as having gotten fused during one of the recent crisis.....

Cyber Burn

I gotta admit that I have been looking forward to the return of the Red Circle characters. I hope that they are done some justice.

JKCarrier

The THUNDER Agents are a particularly bad fit for the DC Universe. The main conceit of the THUNDER universe is that superpower technology is rare and comes with heavy drawbacks. In the DCU, where similar technology (and better) is commonplace, they're going to look kind of silly.

daglob

I could see THUNDER Agents on one of the various Earths but not Earth Prime, unless they change a lot of the things in TA.

There is a TA Yahoo group, and a couple of years ago John Carbonaro (sp?) and DC were discussing a TA book. From what I got reading the descriptions, it was to focus on a new multicultural, multiracial, multinational team, some of which might bear superficial resemblances to some of the original team. The old geezers would show up every once in a while.

Cyber Burn

Off subject, and possible spoiler alert.

Spoiler
On G4TV's Comic-con coverage, they said that Aquaman died and was going to be in the Blackest Night (at least that's what I thought I heard). But when did he die? And how?

Thanks.

The Hitman

To the Wikipedia!

Quote from: Wikipedia
Orin was transformed into the Dweller of the Depths during Week 50 of 52 in the World War III event. In a desperate bid to save the lives of several Sub Diego inhabitants who had lost the ability to live in water, Orin made a deal with the gods of the sea to gain the power to save them. Using the bones of his severed left hand in a magical ritual, the sea gods gave Orin the power to raise Sub Diego onto dry land. However, Orin mutated into the Dweller of the Depths as a side effect of gaining his new abilities and lost his memories as a result. He dies in Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #50.

On the subject:

Quote from: Also Wikipedia
An "alternate universe" version Aquaman is seen in Final Crisis #7, with hints that Aquaman will be revived as a Black Lantern.

marhawkman

that and they've released promotional art of him as a black lantern.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: The Hitman on July 31, 2009, 07:32:07 PM
To the Wikipedia!

Quote from: Wikipedia
Orin was transformed into the Dweller of the Depths during Week 50 of 52 in the World War III event. In a desperate bid to save the lives of several Sub Diego inhabitants who had lost the ability to live in water, Orin made a deal with the gods of the sea to gain the power to save them. Using the bones of his severed left hand in a magical ritual, the sea gods gave Orin the power to raise Sub Diego onto dry land. However, Orin mutated into the Dweller of the Depths as a side effect of gaining his new abilities and lost his memories as a result. He dies in Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #50.

On the subject:

Quote from: Also Wikipedia
An "alternate universe" version Aquaman is seen in Final Crisis #7, with hints that Aquaman will be revived as a Black Lantern.

Thanks  :thumbup: