News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

EzScript and TC?

Started by Ewzzy, August 02, 2009, 05:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewzzy

I've been considering starting a mod and I've been very intrigued by EzScript. Is it possible to use EzScript in a total conversion mod? I want to replace the campaign with my own, not just run danger room scenarios.

BentonGrey

Yes Ewzzy, completely possible and there is QUITE a bit of stuff that you can do with EZScript, even the standard campaign stuff, like adding characters, prestige, and XP, as well as actual encounters.  All four of my finished DCUG campaigns are 100% EZScript.  Go into your FFX directory, look in the "Help" folder, and open up the EZScript folder.  The overview manual will tell you a bit about how to make a campaign.  If you need any help, just ask!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Ewzzy

Thanks Benton. I've seen you around here espousing the virtues of EZScript, and I was hoping you'd be the one to reply. I'm probably going to need a lot of help in the future if I go forward with my project. Is there an example mod that I should use to get started?

BentonGrey

Hrm....well, there soon will be.  The side project I'm working on will be 2/3rds EZScript, and it should be out as soon as I can send my bit to my co-creator.  The campaign side of it is really the easiest thing.  I rarely have much trouble with that, although I can give you a few pointers that will help you avoid the most common problems.

First off, whatever you do, use the default campaign as your base.  Just add new missions in front of it, but don't just start from blank.  Also, always remember to check how many characters you are requiring and who you have selected.  I've had a few issues when I forgot to double check that.  Generally, those are the only things that might give you trouble.  I'll be happy to give you pointers on EZScript, but if you read the manual and use the editor, it is all pretty straight forward.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tame Fisher

Benton is definitely doing some crazy work with Ezscript, so anything he says goes in my book. As far examples, wasn't there some kind of tutorial Nuclear Winter mission online somewhere? I seem to remember using that to figure out my first few scenes. It's actually pretty surprising how simple things get once you run through that first one in notepad.  :D

GogglesPizanno

*Poofs out of hiding*

Notepad is so yesterday.
Get the EZscript editor and make your life even easier....
http://ezscript.wikispaces.com/Mod+Tools

*Poofs back into hiding again*

Ewzzy

I just created my first minimod. It's just an edit of the allies example with pinstripe and his goons replaced by t-rex and some raptors. My roommate has me convinced that I'm making a DrMcNinja mod. :ph34r:

I'm still a little shady on how you take a story.txt and turn it into a mission. Any pointers?

BentonGrey

How could I possibly refuse to help someone working on a Dr. McNinja mod?!?!  Haha, if you let me know the kind of things you want to have happen, I can whip up some example encounters for you easily enough.  Doing the actual guts of a mission is actually pretty easy for me most of the time, but dialog slows me down to a crawl. 

As to your question, it is actually nice and simple.  Look in your FFX folder, I don't remember where exactly, but somewhere in there is an EZScript Campaign Files folder that has some python files in it.  Copy those into whatever map you want to use, then copy your story.txt as well.  Then rename the story.txt to mission.txt, and you're all set.  You'll eventually need a base map and base.txt as well, but only on the second mission and up.
God Bless