News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Gladiator v.s Superman

Started by herodad1, May 30, 2009, 02:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herodad1

ok guys, what about this battle royal.both supermen,both aliens from different planets.place your bets.

thanoson

Sadly, Superman wins this. I like K'lark, but he is not the guy that overcomes everything. Clark does.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

gengoro

It would be a stalemate.  Their powers are the same except for weaknesses. If it were actually written, Im sure Gladiator would lose though plus he has far less appearances.

BentonGrey

Quote from: thanoson on May 30, 2009, 02:19:50 AM
Sadly, Superman wins this. I like K'lark, but he is not the guy that overcomes everything. Clark does.

His real name is actually K'lark?  :huh: *shakes head*

Yeah, I am thinking that it would be a long fight, but Supes would win.  He's just as strong, fast, and tough, but at SOME point in the fight Gladiator would begin to lose confidence 'cause he couldn't put him down.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Courtnall6

Superman would win. Metropolis would be leveled in the process...but he would be the last one standing. :cool:

QuoteHis real name is actually K'lark?   *shakes head*

Only modern day Marvel writers can retcon something that ridiculous.

Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Podmark

Actually his name is Kallark, and I think that name has been around for a while.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

This is the classic example of original vs. rip-off/homage/"inspired by" characters.  Superman wins by default, just like he would fighting Hyperion, the Sentry, and all the other Superman clones running around out there.

herodad1

has superman been given any combat training?dont keep up with dc mythos?i know gladiator has.when he fought hyperion and beat him he mentioned his superior shiar combat training.gladiator is like a special forces in the shiar military.i know his special powers sets him above normal shiar but he's actually more warrior than clark.supermans had ALOT of battles but pitted against someone of equal power with more hand-to-hand combat knowlege well, that wouldnt be so easy.thats why hyperion was beat.not used to fighting someone with similar powers but more battle driven and more experienced.i couldnt just jump on this one and say superman all the way.

Courtnall6

Quote from: Podmark on May 30, 2009, 04:51:17 AM
Actually his name is Kallark, and I think that name has been around for a while.

Not as bad as K'lark...not as obvious anyway. By "modern" I meant for the 90's until now. :D

USAgent

Superman, I gotta believe Supe's strength is just above Gladiator's.  Gladiator most likely would lose confidence as the fight wore on because he couldn;t beat Superman diminishing his powers then.
As for the Hyperion/ Gladiator fight, Gladiator did have the upper hand because of his fighting ability but Hyperion was also almost blind from fighting Evil Hyperion just before.

thalaw2

Post Crisis Superman or Pre-crisis Superman?
革命不会被电视转播

Courtnall6

Quote from: thalaw2 on May 30, 2009, 03:49:23 PM
Post Crisis Superman or Pre-crisis Superman?

Pre-Crisis Superman beats anyone and everyone so there's no real fun discussing him.

gengoro

Quote from: USAgent on May 30, 2009, 03:22:23 PM
Superman, I gotta believe Supe's strength is just above Gladiator's.  Gladiator most likely would lose confidence as the fight wore on because he couldn;t beat Superman diminishing his powers then.
As for the Hyperion/ Gladiator fight, Gladiator did have the upper hand because of his fighting ability but Hyperion was also almost blind from fighting Evil Hyperion just before.

To my knowledge, Glads confidence has only faded when being tricked(cannonball, reed richards) or from psychic influence.  He's has fought plenty of superman level opponents without his confidence wavering.

captmorgan72

I have to go with Gladiator on this one. He has the elite combat training and he matches all of Kal-el's abilities.

Zapow

Quote from: captmorgan72 on May 30, 2009, 04:47:56 PM
I have to go with Gladiator on this one. He has the elite combat training and he matches all of Kal-el's abilities.

Many people don't consider this but Superman has been trained by Batman in combat. It's often glossed over when they pit Supes vs. Bats.

In recent issues of Superman he's now part of the Kryptonian military with the founding of New Krypton by the released people of Kandor. On a world of 100,000 super people he still stands apart due to Batman's training. He's beaten one of Zod's elite commanders one-on-one.

[img width=145 height=45]http://home.cogeco.ca/~gdaybloke/HB/hbanim.gif[/img]

"I hold to a simple philosophy: Just assume everyone's a piece of crap and then be pleasantly surprised if you find anyone who ain't." - Luke Cage

captmorgan72

Quote from: Zapow on May 31, 2009, 02:18:47 PM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on May 30, 2009, 04:47:56 PM

Many people don't consider this but Superman has been trained by Batman in combat. It's often glossed over when they pit Supes vs. Bats.

In recent issues of Superman he's now part of the Kryptonian military with the founding of New Krypton by the released people of Kandor. On a world of 100,000 super people he still stands apart due to Batman's training. He's beaten one of Zod's elite commanders one-on-one.

Really? That information could change everything. Bruce Wayne is the modern day Achilles, greatest mortal warrior alive. If Supes was trained by him, then I have to believe a fight between Gladiator and  him would be a draw. I have to catch up on what's going on with Superman.

daglob

Superman has always know how to fight. Just because few opponents are capable of either getting past his guard or stopping his punch, doesn't mean that all he does is go in swinging. Silver Age Superman did know some form of Kryptonian martial art, although I can't cite a reference. I don't remember if he learned it in Kandor or if he learned it by catching up with the light that left Krypton years ago or what, but he did know something like Kryptonian Karate.

Most of the time it was just ignored, or perhaps no one thought it was improtant enough to mention.

If Batman trained him, though, you can bet that Bats didn't teach him everything...

JeyNyce

Batman train Supes in combat???

I would have love to see the sparing sessions.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

daglob

Superman used an artificial red sun to take away his powers when he sparred with Muhammad Ali.

Xenolith

Hmm...

Pre-Crisis Superman vs. Pre-Crisis Spectre?

stumpy

Quote from: Xenolith on May 31, 2009, 10:16:08 PM
Hmm...

Pre-Crisis Superman vs. Pre-Crisis Spectre?

Obviously, whether any character wins any particular engagement is determined by the needs of the story. But, from what I've seen, the Spectre takes this one, and it's not even close. As powerful as Pre-Byrne Superman was, the Spectre is one of DC's cosmic entities.

DC actually had this conflict in DC Comics Presents #29, and it was a pretty decent story (and the sequence that led up to it in DCCP #26-#28 were also good).
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Zapow

Also, I'd imagine that Wonder Woman would have taught Supes a few things too about the art of war.
[img width=145 height=45]http://home.cogeco.ca/~gdaybloke/HB/hbanim.gif[/img]

"I hold to a simple philosophy: Just assume everyone's a piece of crap and then be pleasantly surprised if you find anyone who ain't." - Luke Cage

JeyNyce

Wasn't this topic done before? :huh:

Anyway No-hold-barred, all out fight.....nobody would win.  I think they would tired each other out.  And damage would done on a cosmic scale.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

GrizzlyBearTalon

Aquaman! No wait... wrong thread...

I have one question, is every single member of Gladiator's race as powerful as he is? Or are they all like him?

I found this...

QuotePrior to Kallark becoming the Preator of the Imperial Guard known as Gladiator who had been trained under the tutelage of Deathbird, Lilandra's evil sister, he was a promising young cadet warrior of a proud bloodline back on his home planet Strontia. A powerful race that values nothing above honor and duty who have sworn their loyalty to the Shi'Ar throne having been saved by the then Emperor from the Wraith Plague.

He was part of an elite group of young males and females of his race who under went a series of Trials in a contest which would allow them to have their psionic fueled abillities be enhanced to Gladiator levels. The Elders of these Strontian's would inform the 10 cadets who where elevated to Gladiator level that the Emperor of the Shi'ar T'Korr was looking for new members for his Elite Imperial Guards and only one of them could take the position. T'Korr gave them a final test a mission to see if their proffessed loyalty was indeed without question by ordering them to return to their home and slay theirCouncil Elders. Kallark however proves the only one to be able to adhere to the command of the Majestor no matter what, even if he doesn't agree with the order given and does his duty. Defeating his fellow Gladiator's when they falter in their mission, fight his own people and kills the Elders who raised him, leaving Strontia to destroy a Shi'Ar Starcracker that was pointed at the Strontian sun which would have been activated and destroy their sun had Kallark not completed the mission. He returns to Emperor T'Korr who then makes him the leader of the new Imperial Guards known as Gladiator.

So what I really want to know is, if this is all true.

Podmark

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on June 01, 2009, 02:41:54 AM
Aquaman! No wait... wrong thread...

I have one question, is every single member of Gladiator's race as powerful as he is? Or are they all like him?

I found this...

QuotePrior to Kallark becoming the Preator of the Imperial Guard known as Gladiator who had been trained under the tutelage of Deathbird, Lilandra's evil sister, he was a promising young cadet warrior of a proud bloodline back on his home planet Strontia. A powerful race that values nothing above honor and duty who have sworn their loyalty to the Shi'Ar throne having been saved by the then Emperor from the Wraith Plague.

He was part of an elite group of young males and females of his race who under went a series of Trials in a contest which would allow them to have their psionic fueled abillities be enhanced to Gladiator levels. The Elders of these Strontian's would inform the 10 cadets who where elevated to Gladiator level that the Emperor of the Shi'ar T'Korr was looking for new members for his Elite Imperial Guards and only one of them could take the position. T'Korr gave them a final test a mission to see if their proffessed loyalty was indeed without question by ordering them to return to their home and slay theirCouncil Elders. Kallark however proves the only one to be able to adhere to the command of the Majestor no matter what, even if he doesn't agree with the order given and does his duty. Defeating his fellow Gladiator's when they falter in their mission, fight his own people and kills the Elders who raised him, leaving Strontia to destroy a Shi'Ar Starcracker that was pointed at the Strontian sun which would have been activated and destroy their sun had Kallark not completed the mission. He returns to Emperor T'Korr who then makes him the leader of the new Imperial Guards known as Gladiator.

So what I really want to know is, if this is all true.

I think this is from a recent digital comic on Marvel's site that does his origin.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: Podmark on June 01, 2009, 03:54:39 AM
I think this is from a recent digital comic on Marvel's site that does his origin.

Thanks Podmark, just looked on their site and found it. Some really interesting stuff in it. All of that stuff I posted is true I have found out.

Spoiler
Gladiator claims he is the last of his kind, of course there could always be a few hiding here & there. It also fully states that the Strontians powers are COMPLETELY psionic and backed up by their confidence. No confidence or large amounts of doubt means they essentially become powerless. Another interesting detail is the very LARGE power difference between the empowered Strontians via what they call the Gladiator treatment and regular ones. It is stated that a regular Strontian could take on an army, I would be inclined to believe this as an empowered Gladiator seems more so able to take on an entire planet by comparison. They also point out that Strontians have a vulnerability to magic, even the strongest are not immune to it.

Gladiator beats senseless a squad of Strontian guards he obviously outclasses them. Then kills a group of Strontian Elders with a single blast from his eyes. He even easily defeats another empowered Strontian who has a slight twinge of doubt in what he is doing.

We learn gladiator is at least a few hundred years old. I would wager he is at least 400+ years old now. The whole things really gives a fantastic insight into why Gladiator is the way he is.

Podmark

There's a female Strontian who's been introduced during the recent War of Kings stuff. A Supergirl counterpart I'd assume.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GhostMachine

Does she have a mohawk, too?

Frankly, as far as comics characters go, I don't think there is any character who would be able to beat a fully-powered, angry as heck Spectre. Physical manifestation of the wrath of God beats everyone except God.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: daglob on May 31, 2009, 05:37:48 PMSilver Age Superman did know some form of Kryptonian martial art, although I can't cite a reference. I don't remember if he learned it in Kandor or if he learned it by catching up with the light that left Krypton years ago or what, but he did know something like Kryptonian Karate.

The name you're searching for is Klurkor.  While I don't recall where he picked it up from, I'd assume it was Kandor, and I think I recall seeing reference to it before the World Of Krypton mini-series came out (he was mostly just chronicling the history of the El family before the light faded/degraded too much, so not much study time).  He even taught Lois some of it, for self-defense, since she was continually getting herself into trouble (lessens the amount of times he has to pull her fat out of the fire).
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Podmark

Quote from: GhostMachine on June 01, 2009, 10:22:02 PM
Does she have a mohawk, too?

I want to say she was bald, but I can't remember for sure off the top of my head. She appeared in a recent Nova and was I think introduced in Kingbreaker, which I haven't read yet.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page