News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Rise of Nations

Started by captmorgan72, April 17, 2009, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

Anyone else thought that the Armageddon counter was pointless since Nukes left no radioactivity?

lugaru

is this a reply to this thread?

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=49845.0

I never got too far in rise of nations, but I did think it was cool. I'm just more of a civ guy.

captmorgan72

Nope, not a reply to that thread. I was just wondering why there was a Armageddon counter when the nukes don't irradiate. Rise of Nations is my favorite rts. Love everything about it. I just wish that there was radioactive fallout at the nuke ground zero sites. Maybe even fallout that would kill trees, destroy resources, etc. Then you would be careful about using nukes and the Armageddon counter would make sense. I do love the nuclear embargo penalty in the markets, that is a great feature.

I actually never played any of the Civs. My bud told me that he did and hated it when some spear chuckers killed his tanks. Hearing that guaranteed that I wouldn't play it.

lugaru

Quote from: captmorgan72 on April 17, 2009, 06:53:48 PM
I actually never played any of the Civs. My bud told me that he did and hated it when some spear chuckers killed his tanks. Hearing that guaranteed that I wouldn't play it.

I would like to say they fixed that, but no. I've also seen knights take down a helicopter. It is really a great game but war is it's greatest flaw. If I had nothing better to do I would go in and re-write the combat system (that is my specialty as a designer) but the game very easy and very hard to mod at the same time, like freedom force. Still if you have Game Tap you can play Civilization 4 up to Warlords for free and trust me it is quite an experience. For me the best game of this style is Total War but it never really progresses into modern weaponry.

Actually I might pick up rise of nations again... does steam have it? I never owned it, only played it at the house of a RTS addicted friend I havent seen in years.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Rise of Nations of hardly a Civ type game.  Sure it takes some ideas from it, but it is an entirely different genre.

And in some Civ games, could a spearman beat a tank?  Sure, but it isn't very likely.  Try enough and you'll do it, but the guy with the spearman will lose the war if that's the best he has even if he wins one single victory.  It's hardly something not play a game because.  Besides, could a group of primitives find some clever way to destroy one single tank in an entire war?  Sure they could.  Not very likely, but it's possible, given an unusual circumstance and an insane amount of luck.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

captmorgan72

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 18, 2009, 02:06:14 PM
Rise of Nations of hardly a Civ type game.  Sure it takes some ideas from it, but it is an entirely different genre.

And in some Civ games, could a spearman beat a tank?  Sure, but it isn't very likely.  Try enough and you'll do it, but the guy with the spearman will lose the war if that's the best he has even if he wins one single victory.  It's hardly something not play a game because.  Besides, could a group of primitives find some clever way to destroy one single tank in an entire war?  Sure they could.  Not very likely, but it's possible, given an unusual circumstance and an insane amount of luck.

I totally get what your saying cat and I agree with it. Maybe I misunderstood my bud, but he made it sound like his tanks where getting decimated by spearmen and that just isn't right. It probably shouldn't be a reason to not play Civs, but it is the little things like that, that bug me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

In any civ game I've played, spearmen could NEVER decimate tanks unless you were so foolish as to throw one by itself against an entire empire.  An odd victory once in a while, sure, but that's it.

Shoot, in Civ 3, I once walked over spearmen with my Samurai, which were not even close to tanks in terms of power.

captmorgan72

The more reading I am doing about Civ 4 the more interested I am getting. I love the fact that the nukes leave fall out and they damage the environment. I wished that Rise of Nations did that. The nuke explosion animation also looks very nice, better than Nations. Looks like it is very deep in terms of detail also, which is good. I'll have to download the demo and give it a whirl.

Uncle Yuan

I heartily endorse Civ IV - excellent game.  The greatest time-suck of all time.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Warning, though, those games are VERY complex and can be overwhelming the first time you play.  Just keep with it, though.

III is also good, as is the space version, Galactic Civilizations.

lugaru

I havent played CIV 4 in nearly a year (all my cd's decayed real bad, I dont want to rebuy since it is free on Gametap) but I can probably point you in the direction of some excellent cosmetic mods for your first couple of games and then some game balance ones once you get into it proper. I worked hard on a civ 4 mod myself, so I'm at least familiar with what is going on there.

Also Civ 4 is very playable on LAN. We used to get together every weekend and play from the stone age to about the 1800's, usually ganging up on the computer which can be pretty brutal. Overall it is a great game althought nobody has ever balanced it just perfect for my taste, If I could stop time I would go back and mod the heck out of that game and Fallout 3. Maybe even do some more Freedom Force skins. Still with work, school and a relationship I dont find any time.