Beat 'Em Up Makers & Sprite Sheets

Started by UnkoMan, February 08, 2009, 02:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

So... I'm sitting here thinking... I'd really like to make a game featuring the Corpse, and maybe a couple other of my characters. But the mod me and AA were working on required a lot of skins. We got burnt out on doing them after a while.

Plus, I don't think I captured the Corpse too well in FF. And besides, I've always really liked side scrolling beat 'em ups. But was there a program that would make them as easily as, say, RPG Maker 2000 (of which I fooled around with quite a bit and really enjoyed, though still never completed a game)? Then I found this thing called OpenBOR. You can make your own beat 'em ups. Of course, it isn't as easy, and requires some programing and blah blah blah, but whatever. It's another thing for me to fool around with.  http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php

But now I'm wondering if anybody knows good sites to find full on sprite sheets? I think I want to try doing some of those. I found a full Marvel Vs. Capcom Spider-Man easily, but mostly I find one or two animations at best. That's fine for some villains and such, but I would love if I could find a bunch of full ones.

Also, I was wondering if anybody else was interested in this sort of thing? Have people heard of this program? I know some people around here were into Mugen. I never figured out how to make characters for that, but it seemed pretty cool.

vamp

That looks awesome. It would be really cool if you made a side scroller for the Corpse. I wish i could help with your sprite sheet search, but I have never even heard of this so, not much I can offer. Hopefully this endeavor will go better than your others  ;)

electro

Can't go wrong with this site - full of beat'em up sprite sheets , tutorials, etc...  - It's like the Freedom Reborn of the Mugen community :blink: Link : http://www.infinitymugenteam.com/Forum_345/index.php other good sites are Link : http://www.scruffydragon.com/ & Link : http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php

AfghanAnt

I'm totally interested in something like this. I really wanted to make something that could be DS compatible though.

JeyNyce

Unko, How good are you with Fenix language?  The reason why I asked because it sounds like you're are trying to do what this guy did with Streets of Rage - http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/  Maybe he can give you some tips/ advice.  Just throwing that out there.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

UnkoMan

Electro: Hey, thanks man. I found a couple other cool sites too, through various searches. Actually... you wouldn't know how to get all the sprites out of mugen characters to edit, would you?

AA: I'm glad you are interested. Very glad. I was thinking it could also make star Agent 23 and the Night Stalker. Corpse would be the fast one, Night Stalker the strong one, and Agent 23 in the middle. And, if possible, it would be cool to have power ups where you can call on other Apocalyptics (did we ever decide on a team name) to come out for an attack.
As to platforms, I know BoR can be used on some... I think Dreamcast and Xbox and something. I don't know about DS. How hard would it be to make it compatible? I wouldn't know the first place to start.

Jey: Fenix? Never heard of it. I'm fairly terrible with most programming, really. I don't quite get what this fella is doing also. Is this like a Streets of Rage remake with a million special features or something? That he's programming from scratch? Like I said, I am not a programmer, which is why I look for the easiest "build a game" engines possible.

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: JeyNyce on February 08, 2009, 10:04:03 PM
Unko, How good are you with Fenix language?  The reason why I asked because it sounds like you're are trying to do what this guy did with Streets of Rage - http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/  Maybe he can give you some tips/ advice.  Just throwing that out there.

That looks fun... man I loved Streets of Rage so much!

electro

Sure just get Fighter Factory program - it's like FFEdit but for Mugen download Here: http://virtualltek.mgbr.net/inicial.php?page=downs&d=0&lang=en-us - Then just download a character & unzip it to desktop  - then open fighter factory & open the character by selecting it's .def file now you can select the Sprites Tab in the tool bar & scroll threw the sprites till you see one you like & above the scroller is Save, Change, Load, Erase etc... - Here's a pic of me scrolling threw Rorschach's animations - Mugen is mainly used for fighting games but plenty of people have made sidescrollers with it & it's probably the easiest way I can think of :blink:

lugaru

I'll just warn you that MUGEN masters spend months if not a year on a character, so it is not nearly as well populated as freedom force. On the other hand if you loved MARVEL VS CAPCOM and you would love to use that style for a fight between superman and thor, then MUGEN is the best bet in town.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: UnkoMan on February 09, 2009, 03:50:06 AM
AA: I'm glad you are interested. Very glad. I was thinking it could also make star Agent 23 and the Night Stalker. Corpse would be the fast one, Night Stalker the strong one, and Agent 23 in the middle. And, if possible, it would be cool to have power ups where you can call on other Apocalyptics (did we ever decide on a team name) to come out for an attack.
As to platforms, I know BoR can be used on some... I think Dreamcast and Xbox and something. I don't know about DS. How hard would it be to make it compatible? I wouldn't know the first place to start.

Yeah sounds good to me and we did agree on the Apocalyptics.

I'll look into some ds developer sites and see but I think it could be done. Just requires us putting some work in.

UnkoMan

Yeah, Mugen characters are quite intricate to make, as far as my looking into it went. I had no idea people made sidescrollers with them.

This OpenBOR engine seems like it would be somewhat easy, once you figure everything out.

Speaking of figuring out... I have no idea how I am suppose to be using this Fighter Factory. I'm going back to looking for sprite sheets.

electro

Good luck & if I can help out in any way let me know :blink:

UnkoMan

I would like to say, right up front, that holy crap making big sized sprites are hard. I used to do smaller sized ones (see NES sized RPG games) and that was alright, but these? I made a really terrible one of the Corpse mid jump, but ugh. I clearly need a lot of practice on this end.
Have you done editing, Electro? Maybe you'd like to give me a hand for some of it. I don't know how many sprites I need to full on make and how many I can swipe from other games... I've gotta start ripping from Splatterhouse.

EDIT:
This is what I did, by the way.

Backgrounds should be a bit easier, since I'm just going to be modifying pre-existing games. I'll have to figure out how to start ripping stuff though. I have ZSNES, and I think you can rip decently from that? I will definately be stealing Batman Returns backdrops. Any other games that look similar or have cool backgrounds people know of?

I'd need:
Alleys
Hallways in a mental institution
Subway station
Subway
Tunnel & Tunnel made of meat
Some sort of Ditkoish, but gothic looking outer spacey stuff... for the Land of the Dead

That's just off the top of my head, though. We'll see how the story progresses, as I figure it out.

detourne_me

Quote from: UnkoMan on February 12, 2009, 08:10:57 PM
Any other games that look similar or have cool backgrounds people know of?

I'd need:
Alleys
Hallways in a mental institution
Subway station
Subway
Tunnel & Tunnel made of meat
Some sort of Ditkoish, but gothic looking outer spacey stuff... for the Land of the Dead

Two of the best games ever,  Maximum Carnage and Earthworm Jim should have you covered for those locales.
Also a Ninja Turtles game,  like turtles in time might have them too.

electro

Yes I have done filler sprites for people - I am working on a Yellow Jacket (Giant) & Ryu (SF1) right now for Mugen but, it seems your planning on working on an handheld game & I don't Know the editer's or codes for those - but the sprite animations I could help out with (yaknow the art side of things) since it takes many frames to complete sprite'd playable character's to completion - Good job buy the way on that sprite - It looks like you got that base from spidey :blink:

UnkoMan

Gosh, this is proving way harder than I figured. This engine seems a little jumpy the more I play test it. And I still can't quite get the palette thing, but that's my problem.

EDIT: I was also thinking something with a little more "platformyish" feel would be cool. Just the ability to go up and down within a level. The BOR engine allows you to only scroll one way (though that way can be up or down for elevator levels).
See, I wanted to maybe utilize the Corpse's wallcrawling a bit.

I think, right now, I'm going to just piece together some levels, write out the story, and maybe hand draw what I want the sprites to look like at first. If I can find me a better engine at all, or wrap my head around this, then we'll see. And I guess I oughta learn how to rip sprites.

Thanks for the interest, ideas and help though guys. It may end up like a lot of stuff I do, ultimately unfinished.

deanjo2000

I can probably help out in the sprites (bases and concepts and such as i do have a little experience in editing)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

UnkoMan

Thanks, BatWing. I had actually been using that.

And deanjo? Sweet sprite as always, though the hair's a bit small. Seriously though, awesome to see.

Nah, I think I am going to drop this like a punk. The engine isn't really what I want and... I'm so lazy. Programming stuff stinks. I would never have the patience. That's why I dropped out of animation.

But, I did write this: http://jowsome.deviantart.com/art/Corpse-Beat-Em-Up-114322091
Simple. Easy. I'd play it.

UnfluffyBunny

I actually have a side scrolling engine near working, there's lots of little details I need to work out but if I get something that could be of use here i'll let you know

UnkoMan

Whoa, sweet.

Hopefully it won't have the limitations imposed by the other one (mostly in terms of palette), and maybe AA can work out the DS compatability.

I was actually thinking about it more, and have a different second player in mind. A buddy on Deviantart has a character called "The Ghoul" (one of the original choices for the Corpse's name): http://thegrinningghoul.deviantart.com/art/The-Ghoul-115020612

Though not technically part of the Weird World universe, the Corpse crosses with him time and time again. His character would be a little slower, but a little stronger. Maybe with the ability to glide downwards from jumps (or even outright fly) but not climb walls.

...but yeah, I haven't been working on it.

AfghanAnt

This is awesome what I'm seeing. I should spend some time with sprites. I've just been so busy lately.

As for the DS thing, I know a developer and I'll talk to him to see if it is possible (and how difficult). I know it shouldn't be too hard considering there are so many mini homebrew games.