News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mental damage question

Started by captmorgan72, March 12, 2009, 01:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

I gave a character an attack that does hypnosis damage and swapped it out with mental damage but the opponents always resist it. I was trying to create a unblockable attack and thought mental damage would work but apparently not.

wickerman

The magnitude of the attack affects the resistance chance - not the damage.  The damage is a swap depending on the type of damage for the base attack. 

So if you want to make it super hard to resist, make it extreme magnitude.
The Wickerman - creator of the Metal Storm Mod -
[img]http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wickermanim/cw.jpg[/img]

captmorgan72

I have it set at extreme magnitude but so far after around 20 shots the opponent resisted the attack every time. I am trying to replicate Thor's anti-force blast. So far though I can't figure out how to create an attack that nearly kills in one shot.

stumpy

What is your test setup? Are you in the Rumble Room, which mode, who is on what team?

Usually, problems with hypnosis always being resisted have to do with the game thinking the attacker and target are on the same team.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

electro

Pretty sure that Hypnosis will always be resisted unless you are ussing a BEAM attack & even then you must swap hypnosis for hypnosis :blink:

captmorgan72

Quote from: stumpy on March 12, 2009, 02:58:33 AM
What is your test setup? Are you in the Rumble Room, which mode, who is on what team?

Usually, problems with hypnosis always being resisted have to do with the game thinking the attacker and target are on the same team.

Watch mode in the rumble room http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/test.jpg Thor vs Rulk. Rulk always defeats him.

DrMike2000

Try Mental Blank instead of Hypnosis. It wont do quitre a smuch damage but it works whatever faction the game thinks you're on.
Add Extreme Stun and a Stun to Mental Dmaage swap for the same atack and it should go off twice and do damage both times
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

laughing paradox

If you're playing a Rumble Room, then the characters will ALWAYS defend against hypnosis. There's an odd bug about it.

However, as Electro mentioned, there's a fix in the latest FFX where you can add a power swap of hypnosis for hypnosis, thereby disallowing mental damage as a swap to work, but allowing hypnosis between two computer-controlled teams to work.

Use Mental Blank, as Dr Mike said.. it'll work.

stumpy

What's going on is that the game thinks you have both characters on the same "team", because they are both on the enemies list. Hypnosis doesn't work when the attacker and target are on the same team. The fact that they are separated by the '------' character means that the scripted AI knows to make them attack one another, but the game internally thinks they are both enemies of the characters on the squad and the hypnosis attack is calculated internally.

The other suggestions here are good ideas (although I am not sure you can use a stun carrier attack with another primary state attack like blank).

Another approach which is pretty simple is to run watch mode but put one character on the squad and the other on the enemies list. That way, the game will represent them as enemies internally and the hypnosis attack will not automatically be resisted.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

captmorgan72

Quote from: DrMike2000 on March 12, 2009, 03:16:56 AM
Try Mental Blank instead of Hypnosis. It wont do quitre a smuch damage but it works whatever faction the game thinks you're on.
Add Extreme Stun and a Stun to Mental Dmaage swap for the same atack and it should go off twice and do damage both times

Thanks, that worked.

DrMike2000

Cool!

For the record, you can use a secondary state and stun to implement two separate FFX attacktypes, (or the same as done here), but you can't add two secondary effects from the same source.

e.g. putting a blanktomentaldamage and a blanktocrystallise on the same attack (or character in the case of customs) wouldnt work because the first call will remove the blank state. Which is good, because that would be cheating!

But a secondary state and stun definitely works, I think I may have used it in a mod once. Im drawing a blank on the particular example...

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

stumpy

Quote from: DrMike2000 on March 13, 2009, 03:21:32 AMBut a secondary state and stun definitely works, I think I may have used it in a mod once. Im drawing a blank on the particular example...

Alright! Who used mental blank on DrMike? I'm calling shenanigans on that!  Shenanigans! :P

PS: Maybe it was Blackbird? In FFX, she has a speed decrease swapped to mental damage, with high stun as a carrier for vertigo.