Previous topic - Next topic

Torch

I currently have the following system:

Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz, 128 Kb, 400 Mhz L2 Cache
1 Gb System RAM
256 Mb Video Ram
Windows XP
19.5" Widescreen ACER monitor

I can run  :ffvstr: at the max settings and max resolution and it is playable, but there is a slight lag which is annoying.  My motherboard only has PCI slots, so I cannot upgrade the video card to one with more VRAM.  The following system is the best I can get (without changing the motherboard):

Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, 512kb, 533 Mhz L2 Cache
2 Gb System RAM

256 Mb Video Ram
Windows XP
19.5" Widescreen ACER monitor

My question:  Will the upgrades above allow me to play  :ffvstr: on max settings comfortably with no lag?  Is my real limiting factor the VRAM?

Anybody that CAN run  :ffvstr: on max settings with no lag please post your system specs so I have a better idea also.  Thanks.

drfelip

What videocard are you using? Maybe you could find a faster PCI card in eBay.

Torch

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 w/ 256 Mb VRAM

Is there another PCI card faster? (I have not seen standard PCI cards with more than 256 Mb VRAM)

catwhowalksbyhimself

You should be fine.  I was running it on full with my default 5 year old setup.  In fact, my previous computer, which had half those specs, could also run it perfectly.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Torch

Thanks.  You mean I should be fine if I upgrade?  Because I am not fine right now with the Celeron and 1 Gig Ram specs.  :banghead:

wickerman

Don;t be surprised if you have issues with video if you ramp up the display settings in game.  I have a ati x1900 512mb card on the rig I have FFVTTR installed on and if I have to omany old converted FF1 skins, I still get pink textures and lag in the rumble room  even with a Athlon 64 3800.  Not so cool by todays standards, but super stuff back when FFVTTR was released.
The Wickerman - creator of the Metal Storm Mod -
[img]http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wickermanim/cw.jpg[/img]

Torch

Thanks.  So do you recommend the upgrade or not really worth it?  I'll probably need a new rig within a few years.  The upgrades will run me $170 US.

Also, I can run  :ffvstr: at 1280 x 720 res with everything else maxed out just fine.  It is when I max out the res also that I experience lag.  Though I am not running Rumble Room with 25+ opponents or anything like that.  Just the normal game and working on story based mods (where there usually isn't more than 5-10 enemies at one time).

drfelip

Quote from: Torch on March 14, 2009, 03:50:59 PM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 w/ 256 Mb VRAM

Is there another PCI card faster? (I have not seen standard PCI cards with more than 256 Mb VRAM)

I don't think so. I thougth you maybe had a slower card. It's hard to tell if a faster processor and more RAM are going to help, high resolutions are usually GPU-limited and your processor and RAM are well over the recommended requirements, maybe the PCI bus is not fast enough to drive high resolutions.

I think its safer to save the money and look for a new motherboard with AGP or PCIe slot, there are good deals in eBay and other places for MB+CPU combos, or wait and go for a new computer.

lugaru

Yeah, I love freedom force but anyone on this forum will tell you that game is a hog. The main reason I prayed for a sequel was so it would be cleaner and less memory intensive... I actually run recent games better than I run older games because for a while everything was coded in a way that would bloat after 20 minutes.