Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Started by captmorgan72, February 25, 2009, 11:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

Barely heard of this game but got a email from a gaming site and this game was listed as number one pc game played. I looked into it and the game does look very good. I suspected that one would need a super computer to be able to crank up the graphics and get a decent frame rate. After reading some posts on the tech boards my suspicions were confirmed. Many people with similar rigs as mine are having performance issues like low frame rates and are reduced to turning everything down to get it playable. For me this means a pass on this game. Until I saw that it is coming out for the consoles. Very good news as I know it will play well on my 360. God bless companies that port popular pc games to the consoles and allow us guys with low to mid level pcs to enjoy the game as it was meant to be played, ie decent graphic/frame rates. 

UnfluffyBunny

meh, I play with everything on max and have no issues, only time I have to turn everything waaay down is when i'm hosting a game and I get messages that my settings are lagging everyone elses computers >_> lol

captmorgan72

Yep, I picked it up and your right. I can max it out with no frame rate loss. Great game.

UnfluffyBunny

oh you may get a small amount of frame loss once your screen starts filling with endless tyranid hordes @_@ lol

Courtnall6

I loved the original Dawn of War(plus expansions) so I had to get DoW2. I couldn't run it on my system at all and was forced to buy a new video card...and I'm glad I did. I'm able to max all my pc games now. Even picked up Crysis which I wouldn't have touched before.

I just got onto the 2nd planet in the solo campaign...so far so good. Not as epic as the original DoW...more squad based...kinda reminds me of Freedom Force actually. :cool:

Sadly I've been hearing this game isn't mod friendly...like you can't even make your own badges and banners for new chapters like DoW1. Hopefully Relic will change that.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Nymie_the_Pooh

The game is a lot like another of their games, Company of Heroes.  Dawn of War II doesn't use the same engine, but the engine was designed to be like the one used for CoH.  It will likely have a lot of the same limitations as mod tools for CoH were made by players and not released by Relic.  Right now it is still a bit early to determine what all will be available mod wise, but the safest bet for the future of modding for DoWII is to see where CoH is.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteDawn of War II doesn't use the same engine, but the engine was designed to be like the one used for CoH.

Incorrect.  DaWII uses Essence 2.0, CoH, uses Essence 1.0.  It is, in fact, an upgraded version of the same engine.  It isn't designed to be similar, it was built on top of the original.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

UnfluffyBunny

DoW2 has a very active modding scene already, there's a few new badges and banner mods around, some campaign rebalances, and one of my current favourites, a mod that allows you to play imperial in skirmish :D
some of the campaign rebalances make the pre-order stuff available as ingame drops, usually i'd be against this but they made it so you'd have to buy 5 different copies of the game to get everything, and the UK collectors edition which I got didnt even have any extras atall, just a metal box >_>
check here http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=257
(oh yah, and crysis is awesome too :P)

Nymie_the_Pooh

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 09, 2009, 04:15:53 AM
QuoteDawn of War II doesn't use the same engine, but the engine was designed to be like the one used for CoH.

Incorrect.  DaWII uses Essence 2.0, CoH, uses Essence 1.0.  It is, in fact, an upgraded version of the same engine.  It isn't designed to be similar, it was built on top of the original.
Thanks for clearing that up.  A few months back on the modding forums for the first game one of the admins stated that the engine for DoW2 was based off of the CoH engine and I thought that meant it was all new while taking features from it.  It's always nice to have the correct information.

murs47

*shows up late to the party*

Uhm...anyone still play this? I finally bought it.

Ares_God_of_War

Every know and agan also they're coming out with an expansion soon that will add the Chaos faction.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

murs47

Cool, and I haven't even tried multi-player yet. Been going through the campaign to get a grasp of the playing mechanics.

lugaru

Played the original and loved it but I'm a company of heroes player first, and DoW second so I have not picked up the sequel yet. I gladly will when it is cheap on steam though, and when I dont have a major backlog of games to play.

murs47

I loved Company of Heroes. I might even say it's the best RTS ever. Dawn of War 2 actually plays a lot like it, minus the base building.