News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mod Question

Started by N-Lightner, March 01, 2009, 07:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-Lightner

How would I create a shortcut or an icon, in order to be able to play a mod? Thx in advance.

N

stumpy

Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

N-Lightner

I'm sorry and embarrassed to say that that link did not help my problem.

N

Edited to add: As you probably have already guessed, I'm trying to play that Marvel Megamap mod that was made by Tommyboy.

stumpy

Hmm. I'll have to add a section for cases where you don't have a shortcut for the mod you are trying to install.

The short version is that the simplest way to get a shortcut to a new mod is to make a copy of the shortcut for another mod and make one change to it. So, if you have FFX 3.x installed, here is the step-by-step instructions for creating a shortcut for tommyboy's MegaMap (installed in the maps folder in the base game folder). This will also work by copying the shortcut of mod besides FFX, just use that mod's folder name instead of ffx3 below.

• Right-drag (drag it using the right mouse button) to a new spot and choose "Create shortcut here" when you release the mouse button. That will create a copy of your FFX shortcut.
  • Right-click on the new shortcut and choose Properties.
  • Go to the General tab up top.
  • You can rename the shortcut here, e.g. MegaMap.
  • Make sure the Read-only box is not checked.
  • Go to the Shortcut tab.
  • In the Target field, look at the string after the -game option (it will be ffx3 for the FFX mod). Change that to maps, making sure to keep any spaces before or after it.
  • Click OK.
That should be it.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

N-Lightner

THAT did it. Thanks for holding my hand and breaking it down to the very basics. you have much patience, Stumpy.

N

stumpy

Glad to help. And, your question is probably one that others have as well, so your asking will help them, too. Hopefully, I will migrate the Game FAQ over from the archive this weekend and I'll be sure to add this to the section on creating the shortcut.