Starting to think about Community Rules. And write them out.

Started by tommyboy, February 05, 2009, 04:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaskMasterX

Let the person that is offended have their content removed from the torrent or mod. If they don't have any content in the mod and no one else is bothered by it, then the answer is pretty obvious.

Nymie_the_Pooh

Quote from: TaskMasterX on February 08, 2009, 02:12:26 AM
Let the person that is offended have their content removed from the torrent or mod. If they don't have any content in the mod and no one else is bothered by it, then the answer is pretty obvious.
I think that part of the problem here isn't the original mod.  Here is what I mean by that.  Let's say I release a sandbox mod.  Someone comes along behind me and creates a mod using the sandbox I put out.  Creators that gave permission to be included in my sandbox mod enter into it with the agreement that any content they include in that mod can be freely used by any member of the community as any mod can be created off of the sandbox.  The content creator waves any rights to what is done with the content from that point forward.

I'm not against sandbox mods, but people that permit their content to be used in a sandbox need to realize that they are signing away any rights to how that content is used in the future.  The moment their content is put into a sandbox is the moment they no longer have a say in how the content is used and can no longer request that their content be removed from a mod as entering into a sandbox they permit anyone to use their content in any way they see fit.

That's why what you suggest here works in most cases, but not in all.  If a mod is made off of a sandbox, then the original creator has no say in what happens to their content.  They can not request that their content be removed.

stumpy

Folks, I have removed some recent posts and I am locking the topic, as will surprise no one who saw some of the posts removed. Which posts were split out is somewhat arbitrary, since it was tough to decide where things went too far.

My current intent is that the locking be temporary. The posters with itchy trigger fingers need to give this topic (in this thread and others) a rest for a while and it won't hurt anyone to let this go until tomorrow.

Okay, the thread is unlocked again. If people want  to continue this discussion, then let the watchword be "civility".
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg