Ok try this again... Game newb!

Started by Silvermax, January 30, 2009, 02:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvermax

:doh:

Ok yea this game has been out for years & where have I been?
My head was stuck in SWG pre CU, EQ, EQ2 & Lord of the Rings online... Still is part time, lifetime account...
But, after I did a trial for this game for my kids... well, I got hooked, suddenly I was making Hero after Hero & still not finding the one I loved... Frankly after some 12 tries & some I really like, I still can't find the one that is not only exactly right for me, but, also one that would fit exactly well into a group... it's a tough trade off, soloin is fine, but it seems to take forever... so I went in search of a Supergroup today at work & came across your website... *BAM* I loved the name so here I am...
So I am not only hoping to join up, but, I am also hoping you all can point me in the right direction of a needed & love class for which I can base my Superhero Idea on...
Of course in the meantime I have 11 other alts I kinda like, although only one at this point above level 10...
Thanks much & hope to be joining both evil & good sides soon.
Email me at will!!!

Silvermax

Silvermax

Oh, I forgot to mention, my favorite at this time seems to be the Mastermind with robots....
But I love the idea of a captian america type with just a shield to...
Although I started a scrapper, like Chuck Norris lol just for fun & frankly I love the matial arts above the just plain brawling of the tanker....
*UGH* so many choices so little time, Help! Addiction!!!

:banghead:

First Welcome to the Boards!!

What you have is Altitis and while I have never suffered from this  :rolleyes: I know many that have.
There is a study being conducted at Cornell University, they think Altitis can be attributed to a rather large library.

If you need anything hit me up in game @seventy-seven (normally in hide mode to get away from emjay)

Silvermax

:thumbup:
Been reading around & glad to hear I am not alone in this, my page of characters is nearly full, only 3 left. Last night I went home & made another one... Is there some kind of support group or maybe a pill you can get for this altitis?
I am hoping once I make 1 char of each class & ability I will be cured, is this hopeless thinking?

:blink:So can anyone give me what they believe to be the best Group player build, that can also solo well?:wub:

Thanks a bunch,
Silvermax

Hero side Fire/Kinetics Controller
Villain side Fire/Kinetics Corruptor

J/K your bet is to mix and match different thing till you find some you like

GhostMachine

I don't play anymore (I am currently playing WoW, but if I could afford to pay for 2 subscriptions a month....), but for soloing I'd suggest:

Almost any type of Tanker or an Illusion or Gravity/whatever secondary you like Controller, hero-side. Once you get Phantom Army on an Illusion Controller, you're golden. Just take Blind instead of Flash, if you go the Illusion route, because Flash has an acc penalty and isn't ranged.

A Mind/whatever Dominator or a Mastermind using any combination of Mercenaries, Thugs or Robots and Dark or Traps, villain-side. (The Traps set gets a Force Field Generator, and about the only power in the set you won't use much at all is the mines) Bots/Dark is supposed to be the easiest MM combination to solo as, but I liked my Mercs/Traps a lot more, frankly. Never got a Brute higher than lvl 8ish, but I've heard some Brutes are soloing machines.

BlueBard

A lot depends on your temperament, as far as what you'd enjoy.

If you're just getting into it, Heroside Blasters and Scrappers do the most damage and seem to level the fastest.  They are also good choices for the impatient (or suicidal, in the case of Blasters) who like to charge in and not think about it too much.  Blasters can also be good choices for the tactically-inclined, so in that sense they're more versatile than Scrappers are.

If you like Masterminds, then you'll probably like Illusion controllers, at least once you hit level 16 and can get Phantom Army.  My level 40 Illusion/Empathy controller can mostly fire off Phantasm, Phantom Army, and Spectral Terror and then stand back and concentrate on messing up the enemies or helping his teammates.  Illusion controllers also have a nifty Superior Invisibility power that makes soloing a controller a lot easier, as long as you like sneaking around and doing the old hit-and-run.

The other nice thing about any Controller is that if your enemies are Held or otherwise incapacitated they aren't sending you to the hospital.

Once you hit level 10, you get the ability to switch between different builds of your character.  Primary and Secondary powersets remain the same, but you're free to choose a different combination of powers and freely select from the Pool Powers.  This is a boon; you can have one build suited for teaming and another for soloing.  I've started fixing up all of my alts that way.

And yes, I am a hopeless alt-itic.  The key to managing the disease is to focus on as few servers as possible and not being afraid of deleting characters that don't work for you.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Valandar

If you like sneaking around and sniping bad guys from concealment or just around a corner, a (foo)/Devices Blaster with Cloaking Device, or any Blaster with the Stealth Pool, just totally rawks.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Valandar on February 02, 2009, 03:50:32 AM
If you like sneaking around and sniping bad guys from concealment or just around a corner, a (foo)/Devices Blaster with Cloaking Device, or any Blaster with the Stealth Pool, just totally rawks.

Frankly, even if you go with Devices on a Blaster, I recommend skipping Cloaking Device and taking the Stealth pool anyway, which is what I did on GhostMachine. Phase Shift is still somewhat useful even if it was nerfed to heck, and Grant Invisibility is quite handy when you team.

Silvermax

Thanks all for the input, I have decided for now to go with a Tech scrapper as my main & so far so good pushed it to level 20 this week & got the free bee cloak...
Working him as professor & finding steel canyon to be my major hang out....
Now I just need to find a/the guild to join that is good & not just some random people trying to invite me all the time.... *sigh*

BlueBard

Quote from: Silvermax on February 04, 2009, 04:10:24 PM
Thanks all for the input, I have decided for now to go with a Tech scrapper as my main & so far so good pushed it to level 20 this week & got the free bee cloak...
Working him as professor & finding steel canyon to be my major hang out....
Now I just need to find a/the guild to join that is good & not just some random people trying to invite me all the time.... *sigh*

Pretty much any of the SG's represented here are good ones.  The most established ones have decent bases.  Which server is your tech scrapper on?  Freedom?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Silvermax

Yes freedom is my main server got like 12 char there now... Guardian is my backup cause I have noticed freedom & virtue get pretty packed at times....