News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Ghostbusters

Started by docdelorean88, January 31, 2009, 04:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docdelorean88

I'm not sure who all cares, but, as of yesterday the ghostbusters the videogame website is back up. Nothing new(other than the attari logo on everything now) as of yet, but it is still an improvement.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

docdelorean88

Has anyone been able to find actual footage of the ps2 version, or is it going to look all toonish like the wii version? Also, just found out that Alyssa Milano is one of the main characters, more good news Ghostheads!

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

RTTingle

Wow.... that looked incredible!

docdelorean88

detourne_me

holy crap...i think i'm going to have to get a new pc...just for this game!

Previsionary

Disappear when you least expe--

RTTingle

This is just way to sweet...

That Columbia logo just takes me back.  :)

RTT

docdelorean88

Quote from: RTTingle on April 26, 2009, 05:44:00 PM
This is just way to sweet...

That Columbia logo just takes me back.  :)

RTT
:)... Me likey. Me likey a lot!

docdelorean88

The website has had a MAJOR overhall, and i just pre ordered my copy(from gamestop)! Each store has exclusives for preorders! Its pretty cool.

RTTingle

I'll be picking my copy up this weekend.

RTTingle

Got it.

Never bothered looking at the specs.  Not a gamer, just not used to it.

Wow... do I need an upgrade cpu and graphics card wise.

Sigh.  So now I have to blow at least $250 to upgrade my MB, CPU, Graphics card and Memory to play $30 game.  This ones going on the shelf a while.  :(

RTT

captmorgan72

Quote from: RTTingle on June 18, 2009, 04:41:55 AM
Got it.

Never bothered looking at the specs.  Not a gamer, just not used to it.

Sigh.  So now I have to blow at least $250 to upgrade my MB, CPU, Graphics card and Memory to play $30 game.  This ones going on the shelf a while.  :(

RTT

This is EXACTLY the reason I switched to console gaming. Games made for the consoles are optimized for their hardware and are the perfect balance of good fps and graphics.

JeyNyce

Quote from: captmorgan72 on June 18, 2009, 10:50:36 AM
Got it.

Sigh.  So now I have to blow at least $250 to upgrade my MB, CPU, Graphics card and Memory to play $30 game.  This ones going on the shelf a while.  :(

RTT

This is EXACTLY the reason I switched to console gaming. Games made for the consoles are optimized for their hardware and are the perfect balance of good fps and graphics.

If we were on a PC gaming forum that statement would have started a PC vs Console flame war

captmorgan72

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 18, 2009, 05:50:25 PM
Got it.

RTT

If we were on a PC gaming forum that statement would have started a PC vs Console flame war

You are right it would have. I wouldn't have posted that if this WAS a PC gaming forum. Even though what I said is absolutely true.

RTTingle

I'll never buy a console.  One purpose machines.  While my machine can't play this game, its still good for plenty of other things and not useless.  I'd much rather spend the money to upgrade my box and be able to do much more with it... then buy a console.  I'm just not a gamer and pick up maybe a game a year.

RTT

captmorgan72

Then that makes sense. Just for example, I have a buddy who IS a hard core gamer, but only for the pc. It seems he is always spending money upgrading his rig to meet the demands of new games. He spends tons of time tweaking this and that, looking for that one driver that will give him the performance he is looking for, etc. On the other side of the fence is me, who simply opens the case, inserts the disk and enjoys a game that is beautifully tweaked and balanced. By the time he finally gets everything where he wants it, I have already finished the game and traded it in for store credit for the next game. Something you can't do with pc games.

JeyNyce

Sorry I bought it up, Let's get back to the game.  :lol:

thalaw2

Quote from: captmorgan72 on June 19, 2009, 12:53:10 AM
By the time he finally gets everything where he wants it, I have already finished the game and traded it in for store credit for the next game. Something you can't do with pc games.

Oh yes you can!  I used to trade in my PC games quite a bit when I was more hardcore into games.  You have to find the right store.
革命不会被电视转播

Courtnall6

Anyone else play it yet? Is it fun? I'm thinking about getting it after I'm done with Prototype.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

docdelorean88

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 19, 2009, 01:29:47 AM
Anyone else play it yet? Is it fun? I'm thinking about getting it after I'm done with Prototype.
I'm still waiting to get word of my preordered copy, but, i played a friends copy today for around four hours and didn't get bored once! Simple controlls, great gameplay, and a consistant story line. This gets my two thumbs up  :thumbup:!

NeoDarke

I just beat it today, was awesome. Got the preorder copy/code for the 360, just gotta hook it up to X-Box Live to get the Gold Proton Pack. I honestly found some parts of the levels to be more freaky then some of the ghosts, and while not all of them scared the hell out of me, a few made me really jumpy.
Spoiler
The children section of the library springs to mind. Places spooked the hell outta me, and all the disembodied kid voices weren't doing me any favors. Now that I think about it, the whole Library was kinda spooky.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

docdelorean88

Anyone else cross the streams. My achievement for that was toatal protonic reversal. Me likey this game, me likey alot... :)

bredon7777

Almost beat it.  The little stone angels at the last cemetery mission are a real pain in the rear :)  Cant quite get by them.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

NeoDarke

Quote from: docdelorean88 on June 19, 2009, 11:06:25 PM
Anyone else cross the streams. My achievement for that was toatal protonic reversal. Me likey this game, me likey alot... :)

Yeah, I got that one in the beginning trying to get the Sloth ghost. Was funny.

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 21, 2009, 12:03:14 AM
Almost beat it.  The little stone angels at the last cemetery mission are a real pain in the rear :)  Cant quite get by them.

That was the first and only time I ever got a game over.
Spoiler
Only thing I can tell you is to use your slim tether on the stone cherubs and the stone arc over the three glowing heads.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

Jakew

So this game is good? I was thinking about getting it and playing it with the gf?

NeoDarke

Quote from: Jakew on June 23, 2009, 06:10:29 AM
So this game is good? I was thinking about getting it and playing it with the gf?

I would say that yes, the game is good. However, if you wish to "play with your girlfriend", *tries not to snicker like 13 year old pervert, fails will save: snickers* the game only has online multilayer; so you'd be looking at two copies of the game if you both have the same console. Unless of course both of you can co-op online from the same console. I wouldn't hold my breath however.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

bredon7777

Ok, Beat it.  Here goes.

Review of PC version

Short review: Overall, this game is very good. I recommend it, as long as you're not bothered by the lack of multi-player

Long review: A Ghostbusters came cries out to be a mix of X-Com (research new tech, spend money), Grand Theft Auto (pre-rendered, free-roaming city), and, well, this game (for the actual ghost-busting).  While this game only gets 1/3 of the formula right, it gets it very right, and is better than most games that came before.

Pros
_____
Atmosphere is dead- on.  As to be expected with the original writers penning the script and the original cast (mostly) reprising their roles.
Ghostbusting is a ton of fun- once you get used to how to do it.
New equipment and alternate weapons build on existing buster tech, and make sense.
Graphics are wonderful - Levels are large and spooky, and characters and locations look identical to their movie counterparts.
Inventive new ghosts and boss monsters
Great running gag about your character.
Interesting collectibles- youll want to find them all just for the descriptions
Keeps track of how much money you made and how much damage you cause.
Clever set up for the next game (sans original cast) at the end.

Cons
____
Plot is pure fanservice- its not very sensible, just an excuse to stick all the favorite bring all the favorite things from the movies back for one more go round.  It's like they had a checklist and went through ticking things off.
End of the game feels rushed and the twist comes out of nowhere.
Firehouse levels are boring- no point to them other then to spot things from the movie.
Collectibles and damage totals serve no purpose.  Sure, you can use money to upgrade your tech- twice per item, and thats it.  I had upgraded to maximum tech less than halfway through.
SHORT.  Even counting the hour I got stuck, game took me about 6 hours to beat. Sorry, but for $30, that's not long enough.  I'm not saying every game has to be a Fallout 3 (120 hours of play for $80, including expansion packs) but a $30 game should provide at least 12 -15 hours of gameplay.
Also, linear.
Weird hiccup in difficulty- youll cruise along till right before the end, when the game suddenly becomes near impossible, and then go back to really easy.  When the final boss is one of the easiest fights in the game, your playtesters werent doing you justice.
Brutal learning curve- takes about an 30 minutes before you can get the hang of busting ghosts enough to make it fun.

Over all 3 out of 5.

Suggestions

Its implied that in the next game you'll be running your own Ghostbusters franchise in a different city.  Lets hope for a new plot, (since the fanservice got taken care of here) a free-roaming city, and incorporating more of the business aspect- since the game already tracks ghost costs and damage totals.)  In terms of the actual Ghostbusting- I wouldn't change a thing, though.

"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

docdelorean88

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 23, 2009, 03:10:33 PM
Spoiler

Its implied that in the next game you'll be running your own Ghostbusters franchise in a different city.

Was there anyhting that lead you to this implication? Any in game content/secret video that i may have missed? I think it would be a great game, but i didn't get that sort of a vibe off of this.

bredon7777

Quote from: docdelorean88 on June 25, 2009, 03:06:29 AM
Quote from: bredon7777 on June 23, 2009, 03:10:33 PM
Spoiler

Its implied that in the next game you'll be running your own Ghostbusters franchise in a different city.

Was there anyhting that lead you to this implication? Any in game content/secret video that i may have missed? I think it would be a great game, but i didn't get that sort of a vibe off of this.

Spoiler

Bet you didn't let the credits run through.  About halfway through the credits there's a voices-only bit: I'll paraphrase

Venkman: C'mere new guy, we need to talk
Alyssa Milano: You're not gonna fire him are you? After all that he's done?
Egon: No, not at all, in fact we're gonna promote him. We're expanding to LA, Chicago, and (I forget), and he can have his pick to be the very first Ghostbusters franchise!
Ray: How bout it new guy? You up to expanding the Ghostbusters brand name?
Winston: I know you'll do us proud.

To me that implies theres gonna be another one, without the original cast (probably as a cost cutting measure).