Calling All Hopeless Romantics

Started by BentonGrey, February 12, 2009, 05:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I'm looking for some movie suggestions for Valentine's Day.  The wife and I are grad students, so our funds are severely limited, but I was thinking an evening in the park and a romantic movie will be a nice way to spend the day that we can actually afford.  However, I'm having trouble finding the right movie.  We love classic, black and white romantic comedies, like "His Girl Friday," and "It Happened One Night."  What other great movies are around from that period of time?  Ohh, and we really like Carey Grant as well.  Got any suggestions?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

lugaru

I highly recomend Kiss Me Stupid with Dean Martin, it is black and white and it is a classic but it is a little bit racy at the same time, so it should provide a little bit of spark besides entertainment...

zuludelta

Roman Holiday starring Audrey Hepburn is a good romance film from the black & white era, and it's not as predictable as other romantic films of the time. It's one of the very few "romantic" movies that I still enjoy after multiple viewings.

Art is the expression of truth without violence.

GogglesPizanno

You already said Cary Grant... cant go wrong there. Anything with Grant directed by Howard Hawks is pretty much guaranteed to be good. Bringing up Baby is a good choice. While more comedy than romance, I have a soft spot for I Was a Male War Bride.

There are also the Spencer Tracey Katherine Hepburn ones. I always liked Desk Set myself.

FOr the audrey Hepburn stuff Roman Holiday is good, as is Breakfast at Tiffany's.
George Peppard always makes me laugh in that one.

On the more modern stuff. Love Actually is a little overly done, but charming in its own way. Notting Hill is one of my all time favorites (and I am not a fan of Julia Roberts). Wimbledon gets no love at all, but I really like it.

BentonGrey

Thanks for the responses guys!  These should be really helpful.  I knew I could count on y'all for some ideas. ^_^  Both "Roman Holiday" and "I Was a Male War Bride" sound pretty good.  We actually weren't that fond of "Bringing up Baby," nor "Breakfast at Tiffany's."  I couldn't really say why.  We liked "Love Actually" and "Notting Hill" but our favorite "modern" romance is "When Harry Met Sally."  That's sorta' 'our' movie. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

The Hitman

The Apartment, starring Jack Lemon and Shirley MacLaine. One of the bests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apartment

thalaw2

革命不会被电视转播

AncientSpirit

A modern "old" movie:   Shakespeare in Love
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

GogglesPizanno

A friend reminded me of this one. Down With Love.
Its a spoof of 60s Romantic Comedies with Ewan McGregor and Renée Zellweger.

lugaru

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on February 13, 2009, 08:29:30 PM
A friend reminded me of this one. Down With Love.
Its a spoof of 60s Romantic Comedies with Ewan McGregor and Renée Zellweger.

That was actually pretty good. Also you can try Leatherheads... it's a little bit of a snoozer but the romance part with all the snappy dialog is actually pretty good.

GogglesPizanno

Leatherheads was sooooo bad.
Just rewatch His Girl Friday and get a whole movie of what Leatherheads tried desperately to mimic (and failed)

lugaru

Yeah, leatherheads was pretty awful, I just keep wanting it to be better than it was given how many great character actors it had and the fact that the chemistry was pretty good. But the rest... slow, boring and anticlimatic.

Uncle Yuan

I'm a little late to the party, but . . .

Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn - "Charade" is one of my faves.  Technically a thriller, but it has a fabulous cast and some nice romantic undertones.  "The Thin Man" (and etc) is another fave in a similar vein - straight forward mysteries but William Powell and Myrna Loy have incredible chemistry.

I can't believe no one has suggested "Philadelphia Story."  And when it comes to Hepburn and Tracey "Man of the Year" and "Adam's Rib" are excellent
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."