Keanu Reeves set to play Spike Siegel in Cowboy Bebop

Started by Sevenforce, January 20, 2009, 01:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenforce

I so need booze -_-

BWPS

He's 45! Spike is not that old. I don't like this at all. Also, a live action CB movie? WHY? WHY?
I guess anime movies are the new comic book movies? Well way to pick all the anime that I don't want to see in live action instead of the one anime I DO want to see in live action. BAH!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

cmdrkoenig67

Holy carp!...Keanu is older than me?  For some reason, I thought he was younger...Weird.

Dana

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Figure Fan

BentonGrey

Yeah, Spike is rather quiet, rather reserved most of the time.  He doesn't emote overly much...but he has TONS of depth...something Reeves simply can't do.  Oh well, there goes my love for Beebop.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Zippo

Keanu simply isn't enough of a badarse to play Spike.

I don't understand why people are so compelled to create live-action versions of anime. No good can come of it.

BentonGrey

No good can come of anime in general ;), but the exceptions like Cowboy Beebop might transfer better than most of that ilk.  At it's heart, CB is a noire-ish dystopian story, like Blade Runner, but set to jazz and packed full of action...that could work on the big screen.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Uncle Yuan

And it's got a cute dog.  A good cute dog can rescue just about any film.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Ares_God_of_War

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Jakew

Spike Siegel is a VERY Japanese character, so Western casting was always going to be disappointing.

Reeves is too old, and just not charismatic enough on screen to play this role.

Bummer.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

detourne_me

Spoiler

That's who i think should play Spike.
his name's Yusuke Iseya. The above shot is from Sukiyaki Western Django.

Glitch Girl

wow, he's a dead ringer for Spike.  I bet he can do all the moves too. 

Too bad it'll never happen

[cries some more]
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Champion 2 of 11

Spoiler

You know wut!... It's really not a bad pick!

BentonGrey

Looking like the guy is only part of the equation...he also has to be able to...you know...ACT like him.
God Bless

Uncle Yuan

Keanu can act like anyone who acts like Keanu  . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

TheMarvell

while I'm not familiar with Cowboy Bebop that much, I don't really understand why a lot of Hollywood producers flock to Keanu Reeves to play their dark and brooding hero or anti-hero. The man is simply a very, very mediocre actor on his best days, so why does he always get these roles?

House Quake

Quote from: TheMarvell on January 30, 2009, 05:27:22 AM
while I'm not familiar with Cowboy Bebop that much, I don't really understand why a lot of Hollywood producers flock to Keanu Reeves to play their dark and brooding hero or anti-hero. The man is simply a very, very mediocre actor on his best days, so why does he always get these roles?

Because the $$$ his movies usually make suggest that more people like him than don't.  He isn't a great actor by any means.... but there are much worse.