Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Universe Online

Started by Midnite, January 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat1987

Ok, my 2 cents after playing for a while:

Character creator:

Although you have a lot of cool options available with different skin, gear etc. Its still veeery limited in terms of customization. You can't get as creative as you could in Champions, most of the time you'll settle for what's there. There's a ton of costume pieces to unlock and IMO most of that should be available from the start (excluding boss drops).
I'm ok with pre defined body types, but they should add at least 3 more. My suggestion would be: skiny (joker style), athletic ( a la Nightwing) and fat (which was actually available in friends and family beta).

Powers and combat:

Combat is really fun, its really fluid for an MMO and very "actiony". As far as weapons go, I couldn't think of any other weapon type they would add, and as with costumes there's a ton to unlock in the game. I like that movement mode can play a big part in combat so kudos for that.
Power choices are really cool IMO, and they play very differently, which is good for those of us that like to have multiple toons. Iconic power tree is a nice touch as well (heat vision and batarangs are personal favorites). If what I heard is correct, there are 3 power sets that are more or less ready, but probably won't be ready for launch: Hard light (green lantern), atomic and lightning (can't wait for this one!).
Roles play a bit differently from most mmos out there. Every class can be a dps which is great, and additional function ( fire and ice are tanks, gadgets is crowd control etc.)

Mission and content:

Can't comment 100% on this since pre-order lvl cap is 20. Like others have said the main pve draw here is that you're in DCU and you do the missions for Superman, Batman, Joker etc.
I like that unlike Champions your leveling path is very different if you pick another mentor, sure you can play other mentor missons, and at some points you'll have to, but most of the time you'll be spending time with the one you chose at creation. Every mission chain leads to a boss fight at the end which I always look forward to. Haven't tried raids yet since they're only for lvl 30.
PvP is a lot of fun, and in most cases the more skilled player will win, regardless of the lvl difference. I'm having a blast with legends PvP, and the heroes play very differently.
I have Batman, Robin and Nightwing atm, will unlock others later.

All in all this is not a typical MMO, which I like. I'm enjoying the game so far, but like I said, I haven't tried end game content, which according to devs was their focus so there's much more to be seen here and I'm looking forward to it.

electro

Quote from: Courtnall6 on December 25, 2010, 01:20:45 AM
I'm curious what they plan to do with the Green Lantern powers set once it's added. After fighting with the GLs against the Sinestro Corps...I gotta say I'm very excited for it. Will we be able to make a GL right away you think? Or would we have to get to a certain level first or a certain amount of rep with the Lantern Corps? I'm kinda hoping for the latter...simply to cut down on the immediate mass numbers of Green Lanterns' there would be. Getting to be part of the Corps should be more of a great achievement rather than "just joining up". But that's me. :P

I'm betting that there mentors with there own missions, city, powers - Green Lantern mentor for hero & Sinestro for villain - I just can't wait for Plastic Man powers :blink:

UnkoMan

Plastic Man powers would be pretty awesome. They already have shapeshifting so I could see them doing one where you turn into random crazy things. I couldn't really see stretching powers. They are hard to do, especially in a game like this.

I had heard they were bringing lightning and atomic powers, but it might just be forum talks. Still, lightning is glaringly absent.

Anyhow, this is pretty fun so far. I thought you would stay with the one mentor the whole time, but I got a bunch of missions from the other two? Glitch or working properly? Anyhow...

Spoiler

I made Unko Man, obviously, but haven't played him much. Had a version with staff/gadgets, but decided to see if brawling/gadgets would work, since that's probably what he'd be. Did a Corpse too, obviously, but I don't really like how he ended up looking, and no powersets really fit.

I made and deleted a ton of characters so far, but these guys have stuck.

bat1987

Quote from: UnkoMan on December 25, 2010, 07:52:09 PM
Anyhow, this is pretty fun so far. I thought you would stay with the one mentor the whole time, but I got a bunch of missions from the other two? Glitch or working properly? Anyhow...

You start with your mentor, and do missions for example until you're lvl 10, next mission from your mentor requires you to be let's say 13. Until you reach 13 you can do missions for other mentors and then continue working for your own (or the other 2, its actually pretty flexible).

RTTingle

Gas mask?  Suit?

Ok... I gotta' give it a shot a least.  ;)

deano_ue

can you use a gun and sword combo

Courtnall6

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on December 27, 2010, 11:10:05 PM
can you use a gun and sword combo

Not at the same time. You can select different Weapon skills...but you have go into your inventory and change to that weapon before you can use the skill set. So far there is no way to switch on the fly. There is also only a "Dual Pistols" Weapon option at the moment...no single firearm other than a Rifle.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Midnite

New patch out today, only 69MB. I wonder what it is.
By the way, anyone up for arena matches?

RTTingle

Did the preorder few days ago.  Waiting on my beta... wish there was a way to download it before I got the key So I would have a jump on things until it starts to patch at least.

Reviews have been up and down and it doesn't look like I'll be playing past the first month... but I'll get it and and when the new stuff comes out, see how it goes.

Later!

Silverlion

I'm around, got a pretty solid compliment of heroes and a few villains. Still can't get the friend stuff to work at last blush, but my capped and first hero is Ghostlion at level 20.
Hearts & Souls: Superhero RPG Second Edition Coming Soon
High Valor: A fantasy Dark Age RPG. Available NOW!

marhawkman

This looks like fun. Too bad there's no support for khorokineticxs yet, but it looks like it's worth playing anyways. :)

bat1987

Quote from: Midnite on December 29, 2010, 06:54:50 PM
New patch out today, only 69MB. I wonder what it is.
By the way, anyone up for arena matches?

I'm on PC beta3 and I'm always up for a pvp arena.

marhawkman

BTW what's the current list of skillsets?

UnkoMan

Well there's powers, and then there's weapons.
Powers are: Fire, ice, gadgets, nature, mental, sorcery, with hard light coming soon. Each has two trees, nature having both plants and shapeshifting into different animals.
Weapons are: Single handed, two handed, dual wield, dual pistols, rifle, staff, brawling, martial arts, hand blasts, and whatever I'm missing.

electro

Just as many powers to unlock in the travel power tree as any skillset :blink:   

marhawkman

bredon7777

Ok, Harley is just kicking my rear-end.  Any tips?
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

Reepicheep

Midnite

I think this Friday is the End of Beta event. RadarX was on server 3 talking with players. He mention something big is happening on Friday.

RTTingle

Still havent got Beta info... sigh

Midnite

Quote from: RTTingle on January 04, 2011, 05:23:38 AM

What key are you waiting for? PC or PS3?

RTTingle

Quote from: Midnite on January 04, 2011, 06:19:09 AM
Quote from: RTTingle on January 04, 2011, 05:23:38 AM

What key are you waiting for? PC or PS3?

PC.  Still waiting.  Seems as if Im not the only one and quite a few are going to miss out.  Beta event is tomorrow.  This is really urine poor of Sony.  They expect to hand out keys on the 4th and have everyone have the game d/l tomorrow for the event?

bat1987

Quote from: bredon7777 on January 02, 2011, 03:50:26 AM
Ok, Harley is just kicking my rear-end.  Any tips?

Lure her away from the thugs fighting the police and keep your distance when she's using the hammer then pound her.

Midnite

QuoteThe end of the beta is near, and the next step to legendary is coming...1-11-11!

Tomorrow, Wednesday January 5, 2011 will be the last day of the DC Universe™ Beta in the U.S. and Thursday will be the last day to fight to save or rule the universe in Europe (in beta that is!).

To celebrate – we plan to stage The Battle of the Legends in-game in the spirit of the DCUO cinematic, "Who do you trust?"  Beta players can align and fight alongside or against some of DC Comics most notorious superheroes and villains including; Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor and The Joker.  Together will we take on DC's greatest icons as we embark on our own path to legendary!  Show up to the battle when it erupts on your server!  Check the schedule below and don't miss your chance to become part of the "Battle of the Legends!"

If for some hideous reason you cannot attend have no fear – we will update you as to the status of each battle on our Facebook site at Facebook.com/DCUniverseOnline and on Twitter @DCUO.  We plan to have streaming video, screens and updates and hope that our beta players will contribute as well.  One thing is for sure, this event will be legendary!

And, to add just a little more fun factor we have some special "legendary" guests joining us in a few of the events!  Check the schedule below to find out who and when.

One important thing to be aware of, when it's over...so is the DCUO Beta! (Each server will shut down at the end of the event.)

Server Name / Date / Time / Location

US Beta Servers – Wednesday January 5

PC BETA 2 / Wednesday January 5 / 4PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker)

BETA 1 (PC) / Wednesday January 5 / 5PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)

PS3 BETA 2 / Wednesday January 5 / 5PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)

*PC BETA 3 / Wednesday January 5 / 6PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor) *Come join the battle and fight alongside or against Jim Lee aka Future Batman in this event as he takes on Nick Kolan PC Editor at IGN and his league of wanna be villains!

PS3 BETA 3 / Wednesday January 5 / 6PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)

PC BETA 4 / Wednesday January 5 / 7PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)

*PS3 BETA 1 / Wednesday January 5 / 7PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor) *Once again, fight against Jim Lee aka Future Batman, as he attempts to protect the Universe from the chaos and destruction that Greg Miller, Executive Editor – IGN, and his villainous band are trying to spawn!

EUROPEAN Beta Servers – Thursday January 6

EU PS3 BETA 1 / Thursday January 6 / 11AM CT or 5PM GMT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker)

EU PS3 BETA 2 / Thursday January 6 / 12 NOON CT or 6PM GMT / Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)

RTTingle

Grrrrr.

At this point, I'm more concerned with getting the pre-order goodie at least than enjoying Beta.

Midnite

So what's a good program to record video gameplay on the PC?

electro

Can't wait to go one on one with Lex Luthor in the legend battle :blink:

deano_ue

just seen the price plans for the uk, sadly it's put this out of my price range, i was unsure about the character creation system( i prefer complete control of the skin ala pc games) but i was really considering it after hearing how flexible it can be

but shame

Spe-Dog

Sadly, it seemed like a let down...until the Avatar of Tech (GOD of Tech?) appeared signaling the end times for the DCUO Beta world and all of its populace.  We were sad to see them go...until the next dimension.  Overall, a pretty fun starter universe. I do wish that they had kept the original reward system in place instead of listening to some of the more jaded gamers and at some points making it too hard after level 30.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Midnite

Here are some screenies of End of Beta I took on Server 1, less laggy. Couldn't get any good pics on server 3, way too laggy. In pic 2, Brainiac had a nasty AOE and he was level 60.

Spoiler