News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC/Marvel comparisons

Started by thanoson, December 27, 2008, 05:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thanoson

Ok, this for some reason bothers me and I don't know why. Many years ago Marvel and DC did the vs game with their two universes pitted against each other. Hulk vs Supes, Cap vs Bats and Storm vs Wonder Woman. Ok, the 1st 2 I could see. Both pretty similar builds. But Storm vs Wonder Woman? WHy? Storm is nowhere even close to a match with the Amazon. SO, my question is this; who is Wonder Woman's counterpart in Marvel? Mine is going to probably be Ms. Marvel due to the fact I think she's the most powerful female on the earth for marvel.

Also, feel free to do other compariosons as well. Now, before you go and say all DC heroes are written to be more powerful, remember if they fought, the power levels would be at a even playing field as was seen in that crossover and the JLA/Avengers one as well. Oh, Squadron Supreme does not count as they are just the JLA.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

herodad1

i always hate marvel/dc crossovers.especially when they clash.when they did the dc v.s. marvel awhile back it was crap.it was one big popularity contest.yeah,i guess ms.marvel is the closest thing marv. has to wonder woman.my opinion is this on the battles...1.)hulk v.s. superman-strength wise a raging hulk has the edge on supes but supes strength plus speed would probably eventually win out unless hulks rage enhanced healing countered the punishment.(hard call) 2.)storm v.s. wonderwoman-storms weather abilities would be brutal but what ww didnt deflect i think she could take the pain long enough for a knock-out. 3.)aquaman v.s. submariner-sorry benton but they're matched in every way but power and namor has way more.gotta go with namor. 4.)cap v.s. batman-no shields or gadgets i'd put money on the red,white, and blue.eventually he'd wear batman down.5.)lobo v.s. wolverine-lobo..no doubt. 6.)capt. marvel v.s. thor-power wise evenly matched but thors hammer would give him the edge 7.)superboy v.s. spiderman-i think power would win the day.spidey's speed and danger sense would help him avoid alot of punishment but eventually i think supes would get him.8.)flash v.s. quicksilver-hands down flash is just to fast. 9.)silver surfer v.s. green lantern-i'd have to go with the herald of galactus.not knocking gl's power but he's flesh and blood where norran is cosmic enhanced off the charts physically not to mention his power cosmic.id say the surfer could even take down superman.

captmorgan72

Damn herodad1, I wished that you wrote that crossover! I completely agree with you on every fight. If it would have been done right, that crossover could have been fantastic.

thanoson

Heh, Namor got beat by a whale falling on him. Sad sad sad.

tommyboy

If they did the crossover today, we could have:
Superman Vs Sentry
Wonder Woman Vs She-Hulk (a much better match up)
Nightwing Vs CapBucky

GhostMachine

The DC vs. Marvel crossover had one flaw: the results of the fights was determined by fan vote, not off what would really happen considering each character's skills, experience and powers (if it had been, Thor, Namor and possibly Captain America would have been the only Marvel characters to win - remember: the Spider-Man in it was Ben Reilly; Peter would have figured out a way to beat Superboy).

I think the fights that were handled best were Superman vs. the Hulk, Thor vs. Captain Marvel, and Captain America vs. Batman. A Batman vs. Captain America fight could go either way, depending on the circumstances. Cap is stronger and has more endurance, but I'd give Batman the advantage when it comes to fighting skills (Cap no doubt has more experience, but Batman is trained in more fighting styles), plus Batman would fight dirty.

As much as I like both characters, Aquaman vs. Namor would be no contest. Namor has a serious strength and durability advantage and he can fly. Aquaman would have to get fish to help to even have a chance of surviving the fight!

Oh, and tommyboy, nice crossover list, but I'd add:

Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye - they'd probably shoot each other's arrows out of the air then have to go at it mano y mano, and I'd have to give the advantage to Green Arrow, since he's had his hand to hand combat skills upgraded the last few years.....unless Clint has some growth serum handy. (Hawkeye was trained in hand to hand combat by Cap, but we rarely ever see Clint actually fight hand to hand unless he's Goliath) Would be interesting if Clint uses trick arrows and Oliver uses regular ones.....

Previsionary

interesting about GA and Hawkeye...are you not including Clint's recent handle of Ronin? Cause under that identity, he does a little more melee combat...albeit usually with weapons.

Some other obvious vs. battles, imo, would be:

Deadpool vs Deathstroke
Ice vs. Iceman
Fire vs. Torch
Aquagirl vs... um...namora or namorita?
Disappear when you least expe--

Talavar

I would say both She-hulk and Ms. Marvel would be better counterparts to Wonder Woman than Storm.

In a supposed Sentry vs. Superman fight, all Supes would have to do is say, "You know you're a pale imitation of me, right?"  And the resulting existential angst would leave the Sentry crippled for months.

thanoson

Lol. That, or soap operas are on. He loves him some General Hospital.

daglob

What about Thor vs. Superman? While I don't think either of them is going to one punch the other, Supes is NOT going to like magic lightning bolts...

Iron Man vs. Steel? IM has it all over Steel.

Creeper vs. Spider-Man. Now THIS would be a fun fight to watch. Preferably from a distance. And don't say "But Spidey would just web Creeper", Creeper should be able to dodge the webs. I think Spidey would win in the log run. Creeper vs. Daredevil might be fun too. Or (Ted Kord) Blue Beetle vs. either Spidey or DD.

A combat between Captain America and Batman should go pretty much like the two times I've seen them go to it: after a miknute, each steps back and they talk it over. Not that either has any doubts that they could win, it's just likely to take a llllooooonnngggg time.

Captain Marvel vs. any Captain Marvel: The Big Red Cheese SHOULD be able to win, but, as we all know, his Wisdom of Solomon is on an 8- Activation roll (Champions players know what I mean).

What might be fun is if The Squadron Sinister went to DC Earth.

My favorite bit in the older crossovers was when Lex Luthor threatened to blow up the Earth when faced with defeat, and Doc Ock said (basically) "Are you out of your mind?"

And you know that who would actually win any such contest would depend on who was writing it...

thalaw2

Quote from: Previsionary on December 27, 2008, 06:47:11 PM
Deadpool vs Deathstroke

Old skool Deathstroke would pwn Deadpool.  In the first Marvel vs. DC I read Deathstroke beat down a good portion of the X-men by himself.  I think it would work better as Deathstroke vs. Cap. 
革命不会被电视转播

Champion 2 of 11

My question is this can adamantium cut Superman? :mellow: My guess is no! And I know he is probably not as popular as Sentry is now but how about Gladiator vs Supes? :huh: even better I would love to see the Imperial Guard vs the Green Lantern Corp even though the Imperial Guard is the Marvel counter part to the Legion of Superheroes
This is how I see it:

Superman vs Gladiator
Batman vs Daredevil
Wonderwoman vs Rogue
Flash vs Blob :P
Green Lantern vs Magneto
Wolverine vs Lobo
Spider-man vs Plasticman
Captain America vs Deathstroke
Ironman vs Lex Luther(Battlesuit)
Hawkman vs Falcon
Nightwing vs CapBucky (good pick TB)
Captain Marvel vs Thor
Catwoman vs Blackcat
General Eiling vs Hulk

Talavar

Adamantium can't cut a number of people in the Marvel universe already - the Sentry, the Silver Surfer, X-23's handler whose name I can't remember - so I'd say Superman is definitely safe.

Gladiator vs. Superman also goes to Superman due to legeal precedent.  I believe it was set by the landmark case of Carbon Copy vs. Source Material.

Spe-Dog

The real question comes down to this: who wins? Mohawk or spit-curl?  Who really has better hair?  :doh:
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

DrMike2000

Spit curl? What about post-Doomsday swinger mullet Superman? :)

Kurt Busiek's take on the two universes in JLA vs Avengers handled this the best in my opinion.
Both sets of characters are totally given their due, whilst acknowledging that the DCU is generally higher powered. The reaction of both groups on seeing each others worlds is really well done. No fanboy choices as to who'd win, just a seasoned impartial professional writer who obviously loves both universes.

Its also drawn by George Perez, and even features a picture of the Marvel Universe and DCU incarnated and snogging. If that dont convince you I dont know what will. :)
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

zuludelta

Quote from: Spe-Dog on January 02, 2009, 10:55:39 PM
The real question comes down to this: who wins? Mohawk or spit-curl?  Who really has better hair?  :doh:

I've always been partial to "crazy comic book hair" myself... guys like Timber Wolf and Wolverine... I mean, the only way you can get hair to stand up that way is to either not shower for months on end or dunk your head in a tub of hair gel, and neither guy looks like the type to invest in grooming materials.
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

Gremlin

Quote from: zuludelta on January 05, 2009, 06:28:46 AM
Quote from: Spe-Dog on January 02, 2009, 10:55:39 PM

I've always been partial to "crazy comic book hair" myself... guys like Timber Wolf and Wolverine... I mean, the only way you can get hair to stand up that way is to either not shower for months on end or dunk your head in a tub of hair gel, and neither guy looks like the type to invest in grooming materials.

Be glad this isn't a manga forum.

ubergreendragon

One thing ive always wondered about Superman concerning his weaknesses ..besides kryptonite i mean how good are his abilities in defending some sort of mental attack from say Professor X. Granted Superman could snap baldy like a twig but could Prof throw some mind attack on him to the point of doing any serious damage?

lugaru

I would die and go to heaven if Garth Ennis wrote a Punisher and Hellblazer crossover.

thanoson

I think the Prof could definately do damage to Supes. Max was no Professor X. Yet he was able to completely control the man of steel. Charles could probably just say, Sleep. Goodnight Irene.

DrMike2000

I concur.

Charles would just need to look at Superman funny to stop him in his tracks.

Conversely, Superman could fry him with his heat vision from the stratosphere before the Professor could form a coherent thought, so its a first strike wins match.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

herodad1

question...what did you mean by DCU being higher powered?

thalaw2

I don't know about DCU now, but in the past it's characters were waaaayyyy over powered compared to Marvel.  Take a look at the DC Heroes role playing game.
革命不会被电视转播

DrMike2000

Yeah, I just meant DC characters are generally more powerful in terms of what they do in the comics.

The Flash is a pretty good example. He's fast enough to vibrate through solid matter, run through time, create tidal waves on request and search a city house by house in a few seconds.

Marvel superspeedsters tend to run at 100s of miles per hour, in comparison.

Neither approach is better than the other, its two kind of different takes on the superhero genre. Both universes have their different power tiers of course. Marvel has the whole cosmic stuff - characters like Silver Surfer, Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock and Drax, or the Eternals could probably match a few of DC's heavy hitters.
DC has its fair share of non-powered martial artists, like the Bat-family or Birds of Prey.

But Marvels main ground tends to be the sort of semi-powered hero with a few interesting tricks like the X-Men or FF, whereas DC deals mostly with the plot-device level characters like Green Lantern, Supes and the Flash, who can handle natural disasters by themselves.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

thanoson

Yeah, let's not forget Silver age Supes being able to move planets. Hell, Superboy Prime was moving planets because he was from that age. Recently, Superman fried about 100 Doomsday clones with his x-ray vision at one time. Granted though, in a fight between the 2 universes, they would have comparable power levels as shown in past altercations.

BWPS

Quote from: thalaw2 on December 30, 2008, 01:45:58 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on December 27, 2008, 06:47:11 PM
Deadpool vs Deathstroke

Old skool Deathstroke would pwn Deadpool.  In the first Marvel vs. DC I read Deathstroke beat down a good portion of the X-men by himself.  I think it would work better as Deathstroke vs. Cap. 

I read a comic in which he defeated the a majority of the Justice League except for GL (who he almost took out). Identity Crisis? He cut Zatanna's throat, and held his sword out so Flash would run into it then I guess he had . Though maybe that was just because their most powerful member, Batman wasn't there. Anyone can beat anyone if that's how it's written. Dr. Fate could defeat the JL by himself. OR Batman could defeat all of The Avengers. But in a straight fight with Batman, Captain America should win every stinking time:
Batman - Bat Fu and projectiles
Captain America - Superhuman fighting abilities and a shield.
If Batman is equally matched to Cap in fighting, then what the hell are Cap's abilities anyway if he isn't guaranteed victory over a normal human?
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Vertex

Personally I'd rather see Captain America pitted against Uncle Sam of the Freedom Fighters.. The symbol of America versus the Spirit of America.  Cap being very heavily emotionally affected by how Americans feel about something and Sam physically affected by how much faith and American Spirit currently is out there.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

thanoson

I believe Batman has never beat Deathstroke one on one. I personally would like to see Deathstroke vs Taskmaster. Slade is smart and all and very cunning, but with all the fighting styles Task has mastered he'd be in for a long fight. Plus, the longer they fight goes Task would have the upper hand.

Vertex

drrr sorry I see that as a very short fight, Slade is only in trouble if Task manages to get video of him ahead of time to prepare. Besides honestly.. Taskmaster doesn't have the heart for battle that Slade does and in a fight like that.. it's all about who wants it more.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

herodad1

all these reasons are why the two universe's are better off separated.the differances are to big.one based more on fantasy,the other more on reality.one doesnt give an inch where the other a mile.i myself like a more reality based world where the weaknesses of the characters makes them interesting.the characters of stan lee,jack kirby,ect..werent created to be better than the compitition, they just wanted to tell great stories.sometimes i wish both dc and marvel could be like they were years ago.simple times and better stories.things have gotten too complicated and out of hand and have lost that comic magic.i miss the feeling i would get picking up an issue of one of my favorite comics and really enjoy the stories and the characters i grew up with.