News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Not really offended, just giving advise. I doubt you'll take it now and I don't think you can really see the things you've wrote, clearly by your response here but I think you will someday and you'll wonder why you ever did. Saying that personal experience and wishing someone would have pointed it out to me. It took me nearly a decade to wake up myself which sucks. Can't blame me for trying anyways, sorry for the interruption.

HarryTrotter

I think your projecting stuff from other places.For starters I never even mentioned Greg Land of Jeph Loeb once.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I was drawing a comparison in hopes of finding a way to make it click with you, like I said I get a bit wordy and loose track of the point. Anyways like I said pardon and as you were then.

HarryTrotter

Its a free market,if they can print what they want,readers can review it how they want.And if somebody is a good person or not makes little difference to their writing abilities.Rob Liefeld could be the nicest person on Earth,but his magnum opus is still Youngblood.Just saying.

Im not sure if W&X-men is supposed to be serious or not.There is some story about the kids and the teachers,but there is also Doop fighting Nazi bowlers.And Doop doing "weird stuff" with Warbird.And just Doop.  :wacko:

Last will and testament of Charles Xavier Well...if we learned anything from Identity Crisis its DON'T MIND-WIPE PEOPLE,it never ends well.I was expecting a bit more from that last will,I mean who gets the flying wheelchair? Yeah,yeah,not funny,I know.  ;)
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

True in itself but not actually widely applicable as it requires legitimate au courant for merit and then the flaw in design actually exist in the first place, and snark isn't hypothesis just because a person says it is. Saying soda is bad because it's sugary isn't evidence of a fault nor backing of sagacity, it's just pointing out a common component and at best stating preference. Saying soda is bad because it's made of watermelons on the other hand of course is just being uninformed, repeating the opinion after being informed otherwise is just being stubborn of course. Anyways I give up Slade, sorry to interrupt your reviews. Just trying to help like I said and I've all but figured I'll just be hitting my head on a wall repeating myself here. Just consider at least for your own benefit that " Tropes Will Ruin Your Life ". Or don't, sup to you dude.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife

HarryTrotter

Review wasnt the right word.In a nutshell,if people dont like something,I think they are allowed to say they dont like,reasons or no reason.Just I dont like something because its not my style and thats it.And may be a bit negative sometimes,but I try give praise where praise is due.For example,I didnt like AvX,but I liked the Messiah trilogy.Thou Bishop retcons dont make much sense,but okay.  :unsure:
Anyway,I may not agree with somebodies oppinion,but I respect it and it really isnt too much to expect the same in return.
I know I can be boring and negative,but try to understand.You had 10 years to process those storylines,I went thru them in 2 months.Now imagine reading from Decimation to AvX,from Bishop turning evil to Havok insulting everyone to Red Skull eating Charles Xaviers brain in just 2 months.I think everyone would be negative.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Yes exactly. Your POV, not the actual writing. Bishop happened eight years ago, The point of Axis was characters that were good turned evil and vice-versa, The point of AvsX was one character fights another, the fight between Magneto and Iron Man was written by Jason Aaron not Bendis, Kitty Pryde is a staple and highly fan demanded character in the X-men books whose recent revival was brought about by Joss Whedon not Bendis, The Ultimate reality is a different reality than 616 and was meant to be an alternative to the 616 one hence the characters are different, The Kitty and Spider-man date was built up in the Ultimate books and Kitty having a loose dating outlook has always been part of her character, and I gave up comics as I said and only started reading and playing catch up again as of about four years ago right around the time I started working on Freedom Force again.

I'm not saying it's your negativity, I'm saying your putting your lack of understanding of the source material on the writer, or more since I do know your intelligent at least your habitually skewering it as such. Because a person can't do long division doesn't make the math nor mathematician flawed. You do as you please, like I said it doesn't effect me one way or the other though you seem to want it to? I just keep passing over these threads and picked up on a pattern from you and thought I'd try to be nice and give you some advice. I'm pretty much of the mind it won't sink in today or tomorrow anyways but it's something you'll come too later by your own volition. Personally I love comics for what they are even the silly and illogical mass of it in fact more so that, your frustrated with them not being something else as far as I can see from what your telling me. From what you say you seem to be staring at one thing for so long that's it's blown up in your mind and your missing what it is at base, forgetting to look at the sky and see the sunshine in favor of rocks ahead. You say your reading it all at once in " trade " so that's at fault but since you acknowledge knowing it the only logical recourse is you are applying the perspective willingly and digging your own hole, and have the option not to and to just step back. I do get this again, I did the same thing and it's why I stopped reading comic books. Long enough to figure out that the comics nor creators of them weren't what ruined my enjoyment of them, it was just me. Likewise I loved kicking the line and trying to subtlety light fires under other peoples feet as well but grew out of it. So my motive in speaking to you know is seeing another person do the same thing I did and hoping to save you a little grief. Else to each their own, and really I've said all I can say here and this will just be a spinning record past the point so really have a nice day, or try to. Or don't. Enjoyment after all can only be found when sought.

HarryTrotter

Magneto vs Iron Man was just an example of not that great match up.And I know what Ultimate Universe is.And btw,this goes for a few people here,but your insults are pretty thinly veiled.
No matter how long ago something did happen,important thing is,IT DID.8 years ago,or 18 years ago.In this case,it retcons that Bishop new about Decimation,Hopes birth and that Cable would oppose him.If he did know that why didnt he act on it before?He had 20 years to kill Cable if he wanted to.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

I finished Annihilation and Im halfway thru Annihilation Conquest and I gotta say:that was a great event.One of the best one I  have seen from Marvel,hands down.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on August 13, 2015, 05:42:27 PM
I finished Annihilation and Im halfway thru Annihilation Conquest and I gotta say:that was a great event.One of the best one I  have seen from Marvel,hands down.

Yeah, Annihilation was great.  Marvel's cosmic stuff was pretty awesome there a few years ago now, when Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning were writing Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy.  Sadly, it didn't last long enough.

detourne_me

So any thoughts on the latest Secret Wars?
I think it was an interesting way to catch up. I also wonder what Owen Reece's true contribution to Battleworld is.

JeyNyce

There is some kind of connection to the old Secret Wars.  Owen was a major part of that too.  Maybe he is holding Battle World together??
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

I had a long buss drive and nothing else to read so I picked up Skaar,King of Savage Land.And its actually pretty entertaining.Dinosaurs,Giant Robots,Cowboys,it pretty much has everything.
X-men,the all-female-team series,is good,from what I have read so far.Thou Im still confused on what the hell Sublime is.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on August 16, 2015, 10:23:13 AM
Thou Im still confused on what the hell Sublime is.

Sublime is an sentient bacteria that was created billions of years ago, before any other lifeforms came into being. It could also infect these lifeforms, using them as hosts, and through them was able to stay alive. It considered itself the greatest lifeform on the planet, and for much of it's existence, it was content with that. But at some point, mutants started being born, and for whatever reason, Sublime couldn't infect or take over some of them -- not all of them, but some of them -- and so if mutants became the dominant species, than Sublime's very existence would be at stake. It sought to prevent this from occurring, and to this end, it took over a human host and took several steps to halt mutant-kind's dominance. It's first act was to create the Weapon Plus program, responsible for Wolverine, Deapool, Fantomex, and even Captain America, with the intent being on controlling mutants as well working towards creating a 'weapon' to wipe them out.

Later on, it went public, dubbing it's host 'John Sublime', and created the 'Transpecies' or 'Homo Perfectus' movement; a cult based around the idea of mutants born in human bodies. This was naturally BS, with the groups' actual mundus operandi being to graft mutant parts onto themselves to gain their powers, though the idea that the group spread was also designed to gather troops to their cause and further slander mutants. To make a long story short, the X-Men confronted him, stopped him, and he got pushed out a building to his supposed death. However, being a sentient bacteria controlling a host must have given him enhanced durability, because he survived, long enough to show up in the X-Men run you're reading. Also, it appears that there was another lifeform similar to Sublime, Archea, though this particular bacteria is more malevolent than Sublime, and possess technology rather than life.

Does that help?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Rhetorical question,but thanks anyway.
I know what HE IS.But that doesn't make it any less confusing.Which is a similar problem I had with New X-men.You constantly feel like you missed a page.
My knowledge of Sublime perfect,so I mybe missed some storyline with him.Him being a sentient bacteria who wants to stop evolution was established in Here comes Tomorrow,a storyline that was mostly ignored by later writers if not outright retconed. So some things are canon,some not.I guess this is in some form.
The story also implies hes the DNA,or in the DNA of all living creatures.Its Grant Morrison,so confusion is a given.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

DC is popular for doing comic cover with movie themes or Looney Tunes, now Marvel is expanding with their action figure covers:

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/17/exclusive-marvel-action-figure-variants-for-venom-hercules-and-s/#Image8

While the covers are nice, I rather have the actually action figure

SickAlice

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 18, 2015, 05:15:41 PM
While the covers are nice, I rather have the actually action figure

Cosigned. It's like getting an advert for a really nice looking pair of shoes that doesn't actually exist .

HarryTrotter

Songbird will join New Avengers after Secret Wars.Thats cool.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Is that Squirrel Girl??

spydermann93

Silver Shocker

I actually commented on that two pages ago when the solicits for that month came out. I love that roster, and I'm probably going to try that book out since people in this thread assured me that Al Ewing is a fantastic Avengers writer and I think he deserves a a try from me.

Definitely happy to see Songbird in Avengers. if nothing else, that aspect of the future seen in Busiek's Avengers Forever has come to fruition (plus there was the Avengers/Hellcat annual where Hawkeye brought Songbird along on a mission for that express reason). Mind you, I don't know if this is an "Avengers" team. The solicits describe it as "Avengers Idea Mechanics" which sounds similar to the Initiative or Avengers Acadamy, though the book and it title seems to be somewhat inspired by the New Avengers of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Yeah it is. Like SS said this was from the Marvel Previews that came out a month or so ago. The same team members also appear in her renumbered 1st issue or at least on the cover. Great to see Songbird back in action and back in hairstyle.

* edit: I have to agree that Ewing writes a good Avengers book though we seem to have similar tastes so it's not surprise.

HarryTrotter

Well I wasnt sure about Ewing,but im glad to see you guys like him.
Citizen V was also in the previews,so where will he/she show up remains to be seen.
And btw whos the guy in the red cape next to Hulkling?
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Wiccan. It's an awkward cover. I couldn't tell that was Doreen actually until I saw the Squirrel Girl promo. The Uncanny Avengers cover is pretty dicey as well imo but Stegman's interiors usually hold up and I'm a sucker for Duggan so it's a pass here.

HarryTrotter

Yeah.The artwork is a bit different then we are used to.Not that its a bad thing.
I guess the comic picks up after Avengers World.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Oh it's not that. I'm used to Gerardo's exaggerated style from Guardians but he tends to get a little of control sometimes in this case Wiccan is freaking He-Man there which is a little weird. His facial expressions are really nice and his Songbird especially well done, he definitely grasped the nostalgic feel of the character. I'm reading a bit on it now and it appears to be a melting pot continuation of Ewing's Mighty Avengers, Sunspot's story from AW as you pointed out and the prior Young Avengers epics of course. I'm for this one too, like I've said before the ANAD phase appeals to me mostly because I like the variety of a creative shake-up as well that they're moving back to the core of what makes the characters and teams enjoyable.
http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?50588-New-Avengers-(2015-)

HarryTrotter

War of Kings was also another great event.Greatest moment: Maximus understands Groot.When Groot is talking about quasi-dimensional physics.  :wacko:
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I really appreciated WOK as well. It got a lot of neg at the time but I think mostly fans where motioning to what happened to some of their favorite characters in favor of critiquing the actually story structure and dynamic itself in that case.

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/marvel-announces-hip-hop-variant-covers/1100-152916/?ftag=YHR3d385aa

Hip-Hop Variant covers announced.Squadron Supreme and Captain America ones are really good.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Dan Abnett is doing a new Guardians book with artist Carlo Barberi. Guardians of Infinity. A team up of three different eras of Guardians: Guardians 3000, the modern era (Rocket and Groot), and a new team called Guardians 1000 .

Sounds great to me. I really liked Abnett's work on the cosmic books (with Andy Lanning), and Carlo Barberi is a good artist with some fun dynamics (he just wrapped up the Amazing Spider-Man point 1 storyline, for which he might have been the best part). At the moment I'm planning to pick this up.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa