News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Spoiler

So I'm disappointed Charles died, he's a favorite of mine. It was pretty obvious though and it does fit what's happening in the story. Who knows maybe he'll turn out alive again like after Bishop shot him in the head in Messiah Complex.

So Cyclops became the Dark Phoenix. I'm reasonably happy with how that played out, how Cyclops was slowly corrupted as the series went on. I have to say the Avengers have handled things very poorly over the course of this story. Things should have played out very differently if everyone had just talked this one through - but then it wouldn't be A vs X then. I'm very interested to see where Marvel goes next with Cyclops.

Some things I liked from this week's comics:

Uncanny X-Men #18 and New Avengers #30 each revealed what happened to some of the defeated Phoenix Five. I'd really been wondering about that. Colossus and Magik's scene was interesting.

X-Men Legacy #273 finally ended it's storyline. Really didn't care for Rogue fighting a war in another dimension.

Uncanny X-Force #31 continues to be good. Looking back I remember how Remender said everything would play into later storylines and it really is true. I'm very interested to see what happens to Evan. Newsarama did recently say that Apocalypse would be in Uncanny Avengers.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Spoiler
I thought the scene where Scott choked Emma to death(well that's what it looked like initially) was more dramatic than Prof. X's death.

Talavar

Ugh, a newly-announced Marvel book has far exceeded my reaction to the most recent event-death: Avengers Arena http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40986

Not only is it a shameless cash-in on Hunger Games' popularity, it's also threatening to take characters from good books - Avengers Academy, Runaways, Avengers Initiative - and kill them.  Screw you, Marvel.

Previsionary

Quote from: Talavar on September 13, 2012, 04:27:44 PM
Ugh, a newly-announced Marvel book has far exceeded my reaction to the most recent event-death: Avengers Arena http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40986

Not only is it a shameless cash-in on Hunger Games' popularity, it's also threatening to take characters from good books - Avengers Academy, Runaways, Avengers Initiative - and kill them.  Screw you, Marvel.

Marvel can suck it, and they need to leave Arcade alone.
Disappear when you least expe--

detourne_me

so this must have been what that "Killers." tease was about.
It is pretty shamelessly ripping off battle royale and hunger games. and that would be ok to cull off a lot of the new cash-in heroes, but the avengers academy kids had really come into their own (right? I never read that book myself) I'm sure a bunch of the pointless new x-kids could be killed off too.
There was a good point about (recent AVX spoilers)
Spoiler
Prof. X being killed because the majority of the x-men had grown up already, and don't really need a teacher now. Heck, even some of the more interesting students at the Jean Grey School have been shipped off/disposed of (Kid Gladiator, Evan, Angel graduating)
The only real interesting students left there seem to be that girl with the fro, Armor, Broo and Quire

The new Thunderbolts on the other hand looks like it might be fun.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40965

murs47

Sounds meh but Kev Walker's on art and I love his style...looks like I'll be supporting this book.

Podmark

Quote from: detourne_me on September 13, 2012, 04:49:27 PM

Actually it referred to the Survive teaser.

Well I'm happy to see characters like the Avengers Academy being used, but I'm less happy about them appearing in a murder heavy series, especially if they are killing each other. Also how can this be an ongoing? Surely the Hank Pym's and Wolverine's will be trying to find and save these kids.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

Okay then.... which of the teases are left to be revealed?

Indestructible = Waid Yu  - Hulk
Soldier = Remender Romita - Captain America
Invincible = Gillen Land - Iron Man
Worthy = Aaron Ribic - ? (Thor?)
Legacy = Spurrier Huat - ?
Family = Fraction Bagley  - F4
Extended = Fraction Allred - FF
Chimichangas = Posehn Duggan Moore - Deadpool
Lightning = Way Dillon  - Thunderbolts
Survive = Hopeless Walker - Avengers Arena
Killers = Humphries Garney - ?
Wanted = Hopeless Larroca - ?

Quote from: Podmark on September 14, 2012, 01:26:37 AM
Quote from: detourne_me on September 13, 2012, 04:49:27 PM

Actually it referred to the Survive teaser.

Well I'm happy to see characters like the Avengers Academy being used, but I'm less happy about them appearing in a murder heavy series, especially if they are killing each other. Also how can this be an ongoing? Surely the Hank Pym's and Wolverine's will be trying to find and save these kids.

murs47

Quote from: detourne_me on September 14, 2012, 09:12:13 AM
Okay then.... which of the teases are left to be revealed?

Indestructible = Waid Yu  - Hulk
Soldier = Remender Romita - Captain America
Invincible = Gillen Land - Iron Man
Worthy = Aaron Ribic - ? (Thor?)
Legacy = Spurrier Huat - ?
Family = Fraction Bagley  - F4
Extended = Fraction Allred - FF
Chimichangas = Posehn Duggan Moore - Deadpool
Lightning = Way Dillon  - Thunderbolts
Survive = Hopeless Walker - Avengers Arena
Killers = Humphries Garney - ?
Wanted = Hopeless Larroca - ?

Worthy = Thor
Legacy = X-Men: Legacy
Wanted = Cable & X-Force
Killers = ??? [the only one not to be revealed]

laughing paradox

I'm looking forward to this new 'line' of Marvel. They needed a refresh to their universe, in my opinion, and I like that it's being handled this way.

Avengers Arena seems kinda interesting to me, only because it has Arcade and because it's an obvious homage to Battle Royale. The cover is pretty sa-weeet!

That new Thunderbolts book also looks interesting. It's X-force without the X, and I don't mind it. I would love to see Remender take a crack at the concept, though.. he does such great on X-force that I'd like to see his ideas expand more in the Marvel Universe.

I am hating the cover of that new Thor book. Sorry, I meant Captain America. The one with Thor and Hit Girl on the cover.

I'm surprised the Uncanny Avengers isn't one of those 'words'. I'm curious about the Killers one.

Cable & X-force seems ok, in theory, but when I saw Cable's absurd arm, I rapidly lost interest. And what's up with Colossus? Why is he with these guys?

murs47

Quote from: laughing paradox on September 14, 2012, 03:10:48 PM
And what's up with Colossus? Why is he with these guys?

I'm assuming he's on the run for his actions as a Phoenix 5

Podmark

Hmm Cable and the X-Force...

The Good:
-Cable
-Colossus, I've been very interested in him since he became Juggernaut and I'm interested to see where he goes after the latest Uncanny.
-Somewhat interesting premise.
-Domino and Cable in the same book. I liked them together in C&D.
-Doctor Nemesis, he was kinda cool.

The Bad:
-...Interesting fashion choices.
-Forge is back from the dead.
-THAT'S Doctor Nemesis?! Really?!
-I've never read anything by Hopeless (ironic name for a Cable book), I'm not even sure what he's written before.
-Seriously that's Doctor Nemesis? Has Larroca ever seen him before?

I'll probably try it out.

New teaser is out: Superior .
Current guesses seem to be either new Marvelman material or something Spider-Man related.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

So the Killers are...

Spoiler
Uncanny X-Force starring Psylocke, Spiral (WTF), Storm (again WTF), and Puck (Meh). Storm has killed only twice that I can remember and both times she felt awful (even though one of those killing got better). I'm not sure why should would be on this team with murderous bikini ninja but whatever. Psylocke is probably my favorite character and while I enjoyed that RR did acknowledge that she is in fact the sister of Brian and Jamie, she has gone down a really dark road and will probably never be the adventurous, witty English rose again. Too bad.

Read more here - http://www.newsarama.com/comics/uncanny-x-force-psylocke-humphries.html

murs47

Storm a killer? Humprhies must be stuck in Ultimates mode. Puck...lulwut? I'll give him Spiral. That could be interesting. Humphries has big shoes to fill and seeing how poorly Ultimates has been since Hickman's departure I can't say I have much confidence in this reboot.

Previsionary

I can't for the life of me ever see Psylocke and Spiral working together... their history together isn't congruent. Also, not even Ultimate Storm was a killer last time I checked into that universe, so he must be channeling an alt version of Storm that probably frequented the Exiles book.
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Yeah that's a weird team. Didn't Psylocke quit X-Force for a bit back at the beginning of Final Execution? I got the impression she wanted out. Storm was very much on the Beast side of hating the idea of X-Force so it's bizarre to see her here.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

It's really bizarre having two X-Force books too, isn't it?
Pslocke's team are going to be hunters, while Cable's team is the hunted? What are they running away from?
I'm pretty confused about the direction of the X line after Marvel Now.
I'll be reading the Hickman, Remender and Fraction books.... But I'm not sure what else.

laughing paradox

Storm and killer shouldn't even be in the same sentence. I am already disappointed, unless she's meant to be the 'heart' of the team, because I don't see her condoning murder. (Even though she did stab Callisto in the heart and really left her for dead... maybe this will be a return of mohawk Storm?)

I don't like there being two X-Force books. Come up with a new title, it's not that hard.

Podmark

Quote from: laughing paradox on September 18, 2012, 07:16:02 PM
I don't like there being two X-Force books. Come up with a new title, it's not that hard.

If the new Uncanny X-Force follows the last two versions then it will be a secret team, so at least in universe this won't be an issue. Considering Cable's team is being described as a heist type team it might not be officially called X-Force either.

In other news, in the Ultimate Universe:
Spoiler
it seems Captain America is about to be elected president. I haven't read any Ultimates books in a while but I will say that I like this idea in that at this point the Ultimate Universe is best utilized doing stories that can't be done in the regular books.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

on the lighter side ofthings... has anyone else read the conclusion to Spider-Men?
I thought it was fantastic, I just got caught up on the whole series this week, and it was a fun, excellent story... i'm hoping to see some more inter-dimensional team-ups in the future.

murs47

Quote from: detourne_me on September 20, 2012, 04:02:57 PM
on the lighter side ofthings... has anyone else read the conclusion to Spider-Men?
I thought it was fantastic, I just got caught up on the whole series this week, and it was a fun, excellent story... i'm hoping to see some more inter-dimensional team-ups in the future.

I have not read the final issue but the previous four have ultimately been amazing![Spectacular pun not intended] I'll probably grab the final issue next week. I honestly don't know why Bendis is going to the X-Men when Spider-Man is clearly his strength. Even in his Avengers titles, Bendis' portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man has been dead on.

AfghanAnt

Total agree. Bendis does well with street-level superheroes so much better than these huge idea/cosmic titles. His Avengers Assemble has been just blah.

Silver Shocker

I'm planning in get Spider-Men down the line in reprint form or in bulk during a sale if I can find it. But I kinda feel like I should read some of the earlier USM stuff I haven't read yet first? What you, honorable masters? (that's a Ninja Turtles reference, by the way)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

murs47

Quote from: Silver Shocker on September 20, 2012, 09:44:20 PM
I'm planning in get Spider-Men down the line in reprint form or in bulk during a sale if I can find it. But I kinda feel like I should read some of the earlier USM stuff I haven't read yet first? What you, honorable masters? (that's a Ninja Turtles reference, by the way)

I think having a better understanding of who Miles Morales would help you enjoy Spider-Men a lot more. So I'd definitely recommend reading the relaunch. You're fine without reading anything ultimate before hand.
Spoiler
If you didn't know already: Ultimate Peter Parker died saving Gwen and Aunt May from Ultimate Green Goblin.
I'd say that's the only other thing you need to know.

Deaths Jester

You know the more I read about what Marvel and Dc are doing the more I'm reminded of what happened in the late 80s early 90s when the comics were trying everything to get the readership up and was only running folks away!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Talavar

Quote from: Deaths Jester on September 24, 2012, 03:34:29 PM
You know the more I read about what Marvel and Dc are doing the more I'm reminded of what happened in the late 80s early 90s when the comics were trying everything to get the readership up and was only running folks away!

One difference though: sales are actually up.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Talavar on September 24, 2012, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on September 24, 2012, 03:34:29 PM

One difference though: sales are actually up.

Yeah, well, I blame that on the movies!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

John Jr.

Well, a DC sponsored poll pointed that they got about 5% new readers, the rest was some relapsed readers who came back (about 25%) and some guys buying lots and lots of comics (about 20 titles each). So, they got a few new readers, but convinced their regular ones to buy more comics. I wouldn't be surprised to find Marvel had a similar change.
And I agree with DJ, with the movie effect the sales rise should be even higher.

Talavar

All those great movies DC has been putting out?  :lol: 

John Jr.

I was thinking how Dark Knight, Amazing Spidey and and the Avengers movies should had a higher impact sales wise. A lot of people don't know (and don't care) which character is DC and which one is Marvel, they see everyone as just "super-heroes".