News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Ms. Marvel is not going to approve of Rogue being on the Avengers... and Havok just rejoined X-factor. He hasn't even been back a year, and he's moving around like a rabbit.

LP, the "Original" X-factor was going down that route of trying to clear the name of mutant kind (building off the X-men original purpose), but the series always got sidetracked with other, bigger drama, so nothing ever came of it.
Disappear when you least expe--

JeyNyce

I want to comment on this but I don't even know where to start.  I just going to go to my mancave and read my old comics from the 80's & 90's.  This is just sad.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on July 03, 2012, 10:36:25 PM
She calls herself Marvel girl because that's her codename, Dana... and she's from the past. Did you, like, not read the descriptions? Young man, go sit in the corner.

Whoops, I missed that part, somehow...I apologize.  However, bringing heroes from the past is becoming old hat with Marvel, isn't it?

Dana

Previsionary

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 05, 2012, 01:09:48 AM
She calls herself Marvel girl because that's her codename, Dana... and she's from the past. Did you, like, not read the descriptions? Young man, go sit in the corner.

Whoops, I missed that part, somehow...I apologize.  However, bringing heroes from the past is becoming old hat with Marvel, isn't it?

Dana

Why are you hating? Ain't nobody here for that. :P

Talavar

The cover of Uncanny Avengers #1 is out there on the interwebs, and it's significantly different than some of the characters appear in the Marvel NOW image linked above.  Thor's still got his red cape, and no stupid swords, and Havok's costume looks pretty old school.

Podmark

Hmm yes, Cap, Wolvie and Thor all have noticeable differences between the Quesada and Cassidy images. With Thor I imagine there's probably versaitility in what he wears but the others one of the artists (if not both) aren't following the designs properly.

I read one article and apparently Marvel will be releasing 22 relaunched or new titles over a 5 month period. All of the Avengers books (except Academy wasn't listed) will be returning apparently.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on July 05, 2012, 01:38:10 AM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 05, 2012, 01:09:48 AM

Dana

Why are you hating? Ain't nobody here for that. :P

I said "old hat", silly...not old hate.

Dana

Talavar

Quote from: Podmark on July 05, 2012, 09:59:23 PM
Hmm yes, Cap, Wolvie and Thor all have noticeable differences between the Quesada and Cassidy images. With Thor I imagine there's probably versaitility in what he wears but the others one of the artists (if not both) aren't following the designs properly.

I read one article and apparently Marvel will be releasing 22 relaunched or new titles over a 5 month period. All of the Avengers books (except Academy wasn't listed) will be returning apparently.

If Avengers Academy is ending I will be sad.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on July 03, 2012, 02:07:00 PM
Some details emerge. More will be revealed with SDCC right around the corner, I'm sure.

X-men: (nov 2012) hold on to your hats...... Bendis!!! about the original five x-men time-travel two the present in a pleasantville style story and who are not going to like what they see once they are in the present and will find it unacceptable. Bendis says the time travel aspect of the story is not as important as the character based drama.

I'm amazed someone hasn't mentioned this...but doesn't this soun dlike what Ross, Dynamite, and Marvel did a few years back with the Invaders.  Remember, they brought the original Invaders into the current time and worked over the way they reacted..specially Bucky wondering what happened to him.  Sounds like a retread to me!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

Marvel Teases Minimum Carnage

Really? Really Marvel? MINIMUM Carnage? That's what you're trying to sell me on now? Seriously?

murs47

Quote from: Tomato on July 07, 2012, 02:21:06 PM
Really? Really Marvel? MINIMUM Carnage? That's what you're trying to sell me on now? Seriously?

What Thomas? It could be a symbiote romance.

Talavar

I believe the minimum acceptable amount of Carnage is zero....

Tomato

Quote from: Talavar on July 07, 2012, 08:21:35 PM
I believe the minimum acceptable amount of Carnage is zero....

Oh, I agree that less Carnage (or better yet, NO Carnage) is best, Minimum Carnage has got to be one of the most underwhelming titles for an event/promo EVER. What's next: "Xavier vs Magneto: The Mutants Masters of Chess"?!

detourne_me

It could actually be quite compelling if handled correctly.
Carnage reworked into a silent serial killer that's really tough to track down, or protect his next victim would really fly in the face of peter's bombastic style of "NOBODY DIES!"

Podmark

Minimum Carnage is a pretty silly idea but the image implies it will be teaming up Flash and Kaine and that is cool.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2012, 03:00:27 PM
Minimum Carnage is a pretty silly idea but the image implies it will be teaming up Flash and Kaine and that is cool.

Really? That is cool. :cool:

Will it cross just between Scarlet Spider and Venom? Or will Amazing tie into it as well?

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on July 08, 2012, 07:20:08 PM
Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2012, 03:00:27 PM

Really? That is cool. :cool:

Will it cross just between Scarlet Spider and Venom? Or will Amazing tie into it as well?

The only thing I know about it is that it is a follow up mini to Carnage and Carnage USA presumably by Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain. The image implies it's about a tiny Carnage and a team up between Venom and the Scarlet Spider. It was first announced a while ago when Carnage USA ended. I recall it being solicited but maybe not.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

New solicits are out for October. The following titles are ending (most to be relaunched): Captain America, Fantastic Four, FF, Incredible Hulk, Invincible Iron Man, New Mutants, The Mighty Thor, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Legacy. Journey Into Mystery might be ending as well.

Newsarama believes that Wolverine and the X-Men and Avengers Academy will be continuing, so that's a plus for me. Disappointed that Legacy is ending (and probably not coming back).
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Didn't Captain America and Incredible Hulk (at least) just get new number 1s within the year?  That's dumb.  Too bad about X-men Legacy as well...

laughing paradox

That's a shame about the New Mutants.. I wonder if they will return.

XStream

Unfortunately, comics are not in our budget right now. (It may have more to do with my compulsion to increase my pulls to twenty books or so...) But I frequent Newsarama to keep up on what is happening in the industry as well as this Marvel thread. Restarting books, renumbering books, and renaming books seems to have become a new industry gimmick. Does it work? If Cap and Hulk were just renumbered and now they are being "canceled" and restarted... why not just keep the books going with the original number? Does the number or title on the cover really effect sells that much?
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

BlueBard

They pretty much have to renumber sooner or later... They're saving ink by keeping the numbers in the triple digits or lower.  Plus they don't have room for four digits in that little box  ;)

Actually, I imagine they're trying to preserve the illusion that things are a changin' and that they have fresh ideas.

Cancellation of titles certainly isn't new.  They're better off putting an unpopular title out to pasture and letting the manure cool off before they try again.

But I suspect that the marketing types have more to do with this than any really good reason.  They're probably looking to shake up the overall brand image.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

detourne_me

Well, to be honest, Cap has just gone off in all the wrong directions.  I have a feeling that Bru is tired of writing Cap. And what the heck is up with the Captain America & Bucky/Hawkeye/Falcon book?

It's a shame to see it go, but I understand why FF and F4 might need some shaking up after Hickman leaves.  He left some really big shoes to fill on the title. Only someone like Waid could follow up on that maybe.
I'm not sure what happened to Fraction's writing either.  It looks like a lot of his books will get switched up.

Did anyone pick up the new books this week? Uncanny X-Force was excellent and Venom delivered a lot of action.
I'm happy about the character growth in WatX, hope to see some more of it with characters like Husk and Rachel Grey.

cmdrkoenig67

I just bought a couple issues of X-Men with Northstar's wedding and a few Hulk (Rulk) issues with Alpha Flight guest appearing.  They were all fairly good reads too...Yay!

Dana

laughing paradox

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 11, 2012, 08:02:18 PM
I just bought a couple issues of X-Men with Northstar's wedding and a few Hulk (Rulk) issues with Alpha Flight guest appearing.  They were all fairly good reads too...Yay!

Dana

Astonishing X-men under Marjorie Liu has been fun. It's my favorite X-men book out right now.

murs47

Quote from: laughing paradox on July 12, 2012, 06:24:01 PM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 11, 2012, 08:02:18 PM

Dana

Astonishing X-men under Marjorie Liu has been fun. It's my favorite X-men book out right now.

Pfff...Wolverine & the X-Men poops on Liu and Astonishing!

Podmark

Lots of interesting things in this week's X-Force:
Spoiler

Fantomex is dead.
EVA has evolved.
Daken is alive.

I also read Avengers Assemble with the return of the Guardians of the Galaxy! Oh how I missed them. Of course Bendis completely ignores that Drax and Starlord (and Thanos for that matter) are supposed to dead and the team has been disbanded for quite some time, and several members are missing like Groot and Mantis. And I miss the old costumes. Other than that they were fine.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Ugh, that's disgusting. He was a better character when he wasn't around (in regards to Pod's spoiler). :D

Is Avengers Assemble in continuity or no?

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on July 12, 2012, 10:26:07 PM
Lots of interesting things in this week's X-Force:
Spoiler

Fantomex is dead.
EVA has evolved.
Daken is alive.

Excellent issue, would have been my pick of the week but I had to go with Walking Dead #100. What an issue!

Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2012, 08:03:25 PM

Looks like you were on target about Minimum Carnage, it is a Scarlet Spider/Venom x-over. I'm actually really looking forward to this. Article here.