News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Which Angel? Angel S... the non-mutant? I dunno who Genesis is, so who is that?
Disappear when you least expe--

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on January 13, 2012, 04:04:19 AM
Spoiler
Archangel became Apocangel in X-Force. Betsy had to find something called a lifeseed to save him from himself. She delivered the "deathblow" to Apocangel which reverted him to Archangel. In a really sweet but messed up fashion, Betsy cast an illusion that he spent his life with her and he died a nature life. When he awakened he thought he was an "angel" and has the ability to restore life (left over Chuck Austen nonsense).

At the same time, Poccylyps had a clone made of him which named itself Genesis. Genesis was convinced her was raised by Ultmon and Uncle Charlie Cluster-7 in this "Clark Kent" midwest by Fantomax. He is called Evan.

Personally I think Psylocke is the reason Angel doesn't remember who he is. She forced his mind to live this whole life with her with children and old age and eventually death and when he awoke, he was "new".

I still need to know where Broo comes from, what are Bamfs, and how is Quentin now dead?

Previsionary

Thanks, AA. i plan on reading that story in TPB form, so once I knew where it was from, I skipped the majority of your post. I hope that's okay. Don't wanna be ruuuuude.

Broo is the little alien/Brood, right? If so, he's from an Astonishing storyline that wrapped up last year while the X-men were in space. Storm and team brought him back to earth with them. I posted a scan from that arc somewhere (I know it's on G+) because the brood infected X-men were weird looking, and Kitty had GIANT, Angelina-esque lips for some reason.

The bamfs... I don't know where the current version hails from, but they're a classic creation/villain from when Illyana was a child, and she and Kitty actually had a developed relationship. They used to be a fairy tale creature, then they turned out to be real, alternate versions of NC. I assume the versions that showed up in WatX are the same ones from that alternate reality.

Spoiler
Quentin, i doubt he's dead. I heard he was going to be facing Wolverine soon in a spin-off mini that ties into the current ongoing. Or do you mean how is he "not" dead? Nation X + Schism answer that. Or is this something specific to the current issue?

BlueBard

Quote from: Previsionary on January 13, 2012, 08:22:26 AM
Broo is the little alien/Brood, right?

Broo isn't short for Brubaker?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on January 13, 2012, 08:22:26 AM
Thanks, AA. i plan on reading that story in TPB form, so once I knew where it was from, I skipped the majority of your post. I hope that's okay. Don't wanna be ruuuuude.

Broo is the little alien/Brood, right? If so, he's from an Astonishing storyline that wrapped up last year while the X-men were in space. Storm and team brought him back to earth with them. I posted a scan from that arc somewhere (I know it's on G+) because the brood infected X-men were weird looking, and Kitty had GIANT, Angelina-esque lips for some reason.

The bamfs... I don't know where the current version hails from, but they're a classic creation/villain from when Illyana was a child, and she and Kitty actually had a developed relationship. They used to be a fairy tale creature, then they turned out to be real, alternate versions of NC. I assume the versions that showed up in WatX are the same ones from that alternate reality.

Spoiler
Quentin, i doubt he's dead. I heard he was going to be facing Wolverine soon in a spin-off mini that ties into the current ongoing. Or do you mean how is he "not" dead? Nation X + Schism answer that. Or is this something specific to the current issue?

I meant "not". :)

Podmark

Wow so Broo isn't a brand new character? Didn't know that. Respect for Arron rising.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

So I picked up Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Force, and The Avengers. Here are my thoughts:

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #6
Spoiler
Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be a delight. It's revealed that Miles' uncle is Ultimate Prowler. We meet a new Ultimate Scorpion in Mexico. Miles has a heart-to-heart with his mom after a public battle with some thieves. Ganke (his comic fanboy best friend) tell him he needs to be Peter Parker but only better since Parker died being Spidey. J.J. gets wind of the new Spidey. Uncle Aaron is in a Mexican prison after a deal gone sour with Scorpion and demanding for the guard to read a newspaper about the new Spider-Man to him.

Uncanny X-Force #20
Spoiler
Uncanny X-Force was just amazing. Otherworld, Captain Britain, Parliament, Jamie Braddock reformed, oh and Psylocke restored to her original body and in a Captain Britain costume. :)

The Avengers #21
Spoiler
The Avengers was the most boring title I've read from Marvel in some times despite it being ALL-ACTION. Bendis should really stick to Ultimate Comics because that is really the only place he shines now.

laughing paradox

So..

The X-men books are awful again. To me, anyway.

Thunderbolts is awesome. So is Villains for Hire. (Too bad that's only a mini.) I'm looking forward to the new Secret Avengers.. I enjoyed the interaction in the last issue.

That's really about it, unfortunately. Oh, Avengers Academy is ok. I guess.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: laughing paradox on February 23, 2012, 04:11:06 AM
So..

Read Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine and the X-Men, they are the only two comics by Marvel worth reading on a monthly basis.

detourne_me

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 23, 2012, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: laughing paradox on February 23, 2012, 04:11:06 AM
So..

Read Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine and the X-Men, they are the only two comics by Marvel worth reading on a monthly basis.
QFT, also he Alpha and Omega miniseries is good right now,  got a cool vibe to it that feeds off of the wolverine and the x-men series vibe.

murs47

AA, what happened to your love for Ultimate Spider-Man?

Podmark

I've said it before but I love Wolverine and the X-Men and I've been enjoying Legacy, Uncanny X-Force and to a lesser extent Uncanny X-Men.

I tried the Alpha and Omega mini, but it wasn't working for me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Quote from: murs47 on February 23, 2012, 03:10:30 PM
AA, what happened to your love for Ultimate Spider-Man?

While I still love the writing it is feeling a little slow the last two issues but I think next issue will be great.

Previsionary

Aren't you guys looking forward to the avengers vs. x-men event, the Four Circles (?) event with ghost rider/venom/etc, and the Spidey event?

BlueBard

Quote from: Previsionary on February 24, 2012, 01:24:00 AM
Aren't you guys looking forward to the avengers vs. x-men event, the Four Circles (?) event with ghost rider/venom/etc, and the Spidey event?

I'm looking forward to the event where they fire the next writer or editor to use the word 'event'.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Deaths Jester

Is it just me or has Marvel begun to jump the shark with the overuse of some of their characters?  I mean, Spidey has who knows how many comics now plus he's an avenger, a member of the FF, and at times passing by the X-Men, Wolvie seems to be every bloody place you look, and Hawkeye is in quite a few of the Avengers, a teacher for Avengers Acadamy, and appearing in Spidey's books also.  Plus the fact that didn't they just kill Bucky and Thor after bringing them back from the dead like not too long ago.  What the 'ell?!?!  Were they brought back to just to have someone to kill again?
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

laughing paradox

I personally cannot get into Wolverine and the X-men.. I find the art terrible (I found his art better in the first issues of Generation X), the story isn't the kind I like to read (Let's nano ourselves into Kitty's now-Brood-pregnant body.. oh, and Logan gets all intergalactic with Quentin!) It's too space-y for my taste, and it's only a few issues in. I was expecting more of a grounded take on the new school.

The story arc in Uncanny X-Force is not my cup of tea, either. I don't like X-Force.. a team created to hunt down and terminate threats to the mutant race.. going on mystical other-dimensional adventures when, again, there is enough on the planet to contend with. With the previous story arc, and the team going to the AOA universe, it was more organic and made sense. This is just.. eh? I'm looking forward to the next storyline though.

I actually forgot to mention Ultimate Spider-Man. That really is a great story. The latest issue was pretty, pretty good.

Epimethee

LP, if you haven't already, you might want to check Mark Waid's Daredevil and Dan Slott's Amazing Spiderman. Simply put, they are fun.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 13, 2012, 05:35:57 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on January 13, 2012, 04:04:19 AM
Spoiler
Archangel became Apocangel in X-Force. Betsy had to find something called a lifeseed to save him from himself. She delivered the "deathblow" to Apocangel which reverted him to Archangel. In a really sweet but messed up fashion, Betsy cast an illusion that he spent his life with her and he died a nature life. When he awakened he thought he was an "angel" and has the ability to restore life (left over Chuck Austen nonsense).

At the same time, Poccylyps had a clone made of him which named itself Genesis. Genesis was convinced her was raised by Ultmon and Uncle Charlie Cluster-7 in this "Clark Kent" midwest by Fantomax. He is called Evan.

Personally I think Psylocke is the reason Angel doesn't remember who he is. She forced his mind to live this whole life with her with children and old age and eventually death and when he awoke, he was "new".

I still need to know where Broo comes from, what are Bamfs, and how is Quentin now dead?

That made my head hurt.

Dana

laughing paradox

Quote from: Epimethee on February 26, 2012, 05:18:57 PM
LP, if you haven't already, you might want to check Mark Waid's Daredevil and Dan Slott's Amazing Spiderman. Simply put, they are fun.

I'll give them a shot. I know Black Cat was in a recent Daredevil issue, and I'm a fan of that character. I know there's a big storyline bringing back the Sinister Six, so I may check that out when it comes out.

Forgot to say that I love X-Factor. I've been re-reading the issues from the beginning (with Rictor wanting to commit suicide for losing his powers) and the run is just.. fantastic.

Podmark

So Children's Crusade finally wrapped up and I have to say I found the ending quite depressing. Not the way I wanted the Young Avengers to end up.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Yeah it was a big ball of depressing.

Previsionary

Ono! Any hints as to what happened for those of us that don't read the books but have love for the characters?

Tomato

Half the YA dies, Doom loses, Scarlet Witch is Marvel's Hal Jordon.

Oh, wait, that was issue 8.

Silver Shocker

Spoiler
Cassie dies fighting Doom. Iron Lad wants to prevent her dying through the magic of time travel. When Teen!Vision tells him not to, Iron Lad throws a gasket and murders Vision. Then he leaves, ranting and raving like the villain-in-the-making that he is. The Young Avengers retire from being superheroes, Patriot says he's going to move out of the city to live with his mom, Wican and Hulkling discuss getting married and have a oncreen kiss, we get a sequence of events showing the Young Avengers watching the news and reacting to events such as Spider-Island and Schism, and it's now months later and the Avengers invite them to show up at the Avengers mansion courtyard, where the Avengers tell the YA kids that they're full-fledged Avengers in their eyes, and show them new statues of Stature, Teen!Vision and the Scott Lang version of Ant-Man (who's still alive, but may have also retired from being a superhero.

Yeah, I also found it depressing and a bit disappointing. I was hoping Heinberg would pass the torch to future writers ala Arnold in "The Rundown" ("Have Fun!") and....yeah.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

*sigh* Glad I didnt stick with that book then. This is more disappointing than finding out Hulk Hogan has a naughty tape out, though that was more shocking and horrifying.

AA, you and I should talk more to remedy this problem. Silver Shocker, I'm glad you randomly pop up to answer questions. Podmark, you may live.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on March 10, 2012, 06:01:47 AMPodmark, you may live.

Uh thanks?

Spoiler
Cassie was my favorite YA, and I always hoped they'd try to go the opposite route with Iron Lad. And the whole ending just had this big depressing feel to it. I was really disappointed. I love that Scott Lang is back (and hate the Eric O'Grady is apparently dead) but it wasn't worth the price, not even close.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deano_ue

so marvel took one of they're first extremely popular teams of new characters dragged the story out for months with delays and they just whizzed(bloody censors)  them all away because they couldn't be bothered

i grew up as a marvel fan but this just shows why for every marvel book i buy there are 4 dc ones on my pull list

as for AvsX i will give it one issue to see if it gets my attention, and that is only due to my love for frank cho's artwork

Previsionary

DC isn't much better in that regard, so you're not standing on a firm boat, UE. Also, this YA mini introduces so many continuity problems that they were better off leaving it a 6 issue mini about, and only about, the YA and SW. Also, how more hypocritical and annoying can they make Cyclops at this point? Stop doing that to his character. It's gone way too far now. I can't stomach him as a character at all now.

Aside: I like how character deaths are now handle by Marvel. Characters are literally ignoring and avoiding helping dying members now. And here I thought NC's death was bad. Get ready for another one, as Marvel has already announced that ANOTHER avenger will die in the upcoming AvX event. I wonder who will replace that (most likely male) member.

Another note: they need to find a new scapegoat and leave Doom alone for a while. He's done so much damage over the past 5 years to the hero community that it looks REALLY shady when teams like the Fan4 willingly team up with him. I mean, he started a war with Wakanda and almost killed Storm and Panther (FF, Xmen, and Avenger members), helped to kidnap heroes for that horrid Hulk event, experimented on Thor's people and helped to kill some of them, was involved in Dark Reign, tried to alter time and gain some form of ultimate power in Fan4 (and was never depowered... but was eaten or something), and now he's taking blame for the stuff SW did? Why is Scott threatening Wanda when the ultimate threat to hero kind is apparently Doom. But no, let's let him get away scot-free, as per usual.