News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano_ue

Quote from: murs47 on April 14, 2010, 03:24:01 AM
I read this earlier. I absolutely love the sketches. It's unlikely, but I hope Walker uses that style for the series. Also, that article has me super pumped for the series now.

see i'm indifferent to it, i'm just not liking the cast, though i didn't like the dark region cast at first either, so i may give it a go

deano_ue

Quote from: Previsionary on April 15, 2010, 12:13:30 AM
Quote from: herodad1 on April 14, 2010, 11:25:38 PM
hey, what happened to RHINO?

Spoiler
He went straight and got married. Rhino 2.0 kept trying to get him to crack, become Rhino 1.0 again, and fight him to see who was really worthy of the mantly. Rhino 1.0 refused and tried to go into hiding with Spidey's help, swearing off his bad behavior for good. Rhino 2.0 couldn't take no for an answer and killed Rhino 1.0's wife. Rhino 1.0 snapped, donned his costume, fought Rhino 2.0, and killed him. He also blamed everything that happened on Spider-man.

fantastic story and character development, pity they just through it all away to back to the bog standard

Podmark

Latest X-Men teaser has Nate Grey and 'vampire' Jubilee.
Rumour is the book will be X-Men versus Vampires by Victor Gischler and Paco Medina.

Nice to see X-Man back with the X-Men, but this supposed X-Men vs vampires book reeks of gimmickyness.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

The Hitman

Is it appropriate to say that Jubilee sucks now?

Previsionary

Victor Gischler? Doesn't he write one of the DP books? If so... I'm not impressed by his writing at all. I think there's a disconnect with him and the characters he's writing. He's a published novelist of crime fiction, so I don't see the correlation between that and X-men (or Deadpool). He's someone I'd see on a Bishop book or Punisher. Marvel's confused.
Disappear when you least expe--

marhawkman

Quote from: The Hitman on April 15, 2010, 08:36:25 PMIs it appropriate to say that Jubilee sucks now?
Hehe.... Apparently she gets to be on the team as a vampire too. :)  Or maybe I'm reading too much in to it.

Previsionary

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier by Ed Brubaker

QuoteAward-winning writer Ed Brubaker and artist Dale Eaglesham of FANTASTIC FOUR join forces this July to debut a new life, a new role and a new mission for the man formerly known as Captain America.

STEVE ROGERS: SUPER-SOLDIER, a four-issue limited series, reintroduces one of Marvel's longest-running characters in an entirely new light. No longer Captain America and with his old sidekick wielding the famous shield, Steve Rogers must forge ahead and carve out a new place for himself in the Marvel Universe.

Brubaker explains the thought process that went into Steve Rogers' latest foray into action following the blockbuster Siege.

"It felt like Bucky was doing a great job as Cap, fans dig him in the role [and] I enjoy writing him as Cap," he says. "And it occurred to me that Steve was going to get put through the wringer on his way back to the present, and may have reasons for not wanting to put the Cap uniform back on and go all public for a while, if not forever."

Those reasons remain classified information for now, but conjure up questions concerning Rogers' long-time career as Captain America, his brief sojourn as Nomad and how he'll acclimate to his new role.

murs47

After getting a better look at the uniform I kinda like it. This mini sounds interesting, too.

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on April 15, 2010, 03:53:38 PMThe choice of Valkyrie is the one that really mystifies me.

I think I just figured it out, more or less. They wanted a version of the classic Cap-Thor-Iron Man trinity on the team, so they included Steve (Cap), War Machine (Iron Man), and Valkyrie (Thor). Yeah, they could have used, say, Beta Ray Bill, but they probably figured they needed a woman on the team.

Anyway, I kind of like the line-up. Steve, Beast, War Machine, and Moon Knight have all been Avengers before- and all pre-Disassembled, pre-New avengers members, at that. Nova's been overdue for membership- I remember reading that Kurt Busiek had intended to make him an Avenger, but never got around to it- and Valkyrie, or a version of her, first appeared in the Lady Liberators story in Avengers, way back in the Roy Thomas days- she and Medusa are the only Liberators who haven't been Avengers. So, depending on how the whole "Secret" part works, I personally have no problem with the line-up- though I wish they'd stop the whole "multiple Avengers teams" thing.
Fear the "A"!!!

AfghanAnt

I'm confused why Steve is dressed up as Fighting American.

Quote from: Podmark on April 15, 2010, 06:57:27 PM
Latest X-Men teaser has Nate Grey and 'vampire' Jubilee.
Rumour is the book will be X-Men versus Vampires by Victor Gischler and Paco Medina.

Nice to see X-Man back with the X-Men, but this supposed X-Men vs vampires book reeks of gimmickyness.

I think Millar is being a big baby here. Necrosha was overshadowed by Marvel Zombies and Blackest Night but it was still a very solid read. I think Millar is probably more upset that Ultimate Avengers is the weakest of the Ultimate line right now when he use to be the Commander and Chief but I have to say I'm really enjoying Ultimate X and Ultimate Spider-man and looking forward to Vampire!Jubilee.

Quote from: murs47 on April 15, 2010, 05:09:20 AM
I can see Steve, Beast, and War Machine hooking up to form the foundation of an Avengers team but the others seem so peculiar. Still, very much looking forward to this. Is Steve the new Fighting American?

Quote from: daglob on April 15, 2010, 05:42:37 AM
...and Steve DOES look like The Fighting American. Are those sai's on his back?

HA! I didn't even see these comments!

lugaru

Quote from: murs47 on April 16, 2010, 03:02:18 PM
After getting a better look at the uniform I kinda like it. This mini sounds interesting, too.

Same here... hated the first image I saw of it but at a distance it looks good... fighting american but a little Shield in it too. BTW Captain America as a director of shield... that would be perfect.

Also on another forum I somehow guessed that Moon Knight would be a secret avenger. His solo book has been so-so (I'm not a hater but I know it is not perfect) but him kinda crazy and violent on a team would make more sense than him doing a downward spiral on his own. You know, Cap can slap him on the back of the head from time to time.

crimsonquill

Quote from: AfghanAnt on April 16, 2010, 04:23:48 PM
I'm confused why Steve is dressed up as Fighting American.

I'm sure that will be kinda explained during C2E2 this weekend where they will debut Secret Avengers and explain all of their plans for the Avengers titles during The Age Of Heroes. My guess is that Steve Rogers will usually be wearing some kinda of traditional uniform when he takes over SHIELD but he figured that he needed some kind of costume for his Secret Avengers role and decided to dust off Fighting American's uniform until he decided on what his official one would be.

- CQ

"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

herodad1

if caps gonna lead a new avengers team....whats the title to this book? must have missed it.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: herodad1 on April 16, 2010, 06:18:30 PM
if caps gonna lead a new avengers team....whats the title to this book? must have missed it.

Steven Rogers: Super Soldier

Previsionary

He's a Secret Avenger, Herodad. A lot of the discussion here centered around that team.

From the page prior:

Quote from: Podmark on April 15, 2010, 04:58:51 AM
Part of the Secret Avengers lineup has been revealed:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/14/that-secret-avengers-roster-in-full/

Notice Steve's new (horrible) costume and the presence of Nova. I hope that doesn't mean his title is over.
Also I don't know what to make of this team. It seems like a random mishmash of characters. What exactly will be secret about them?

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on April 16, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
He's a Secret Avenger, Herodad. A lot of the discussion here centered around that team.

From the page prior:

Quote from: Podmark on April 15, 2010, 04:58:51 AM
Part of the Secret Avengers lineup has been revealed:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/14/that-secret-avengers-roster-in-full/

Notice Steve's new (horrible) costume and the presence of Nova. I hope that doesn't mean his title is over.
Also I don't know what to make of this team. It seems like a random mishmash of characters. What exactly will be secret about them?

Oh wait I thought he was talking about four-issue mini. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/16/steve-rogers-super-soldier-by-ed-brubaker-and-dale-eaglesham/

Podmark

Actually Murs you're right, the costume much better in this pic.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

Quote from: Podmark on April 16, 2010, 08:27:56 PM
Actually Murs you're right, the costume much better in this pic.

I aggree, this view makes it look much better, less like The Fighting American, now.

... But Steve just NEEDS to carry a shield. Get him the one with magnets or the energy shield or SOMETHING...

herodad1

cant he get his old trusty back? i'm sure bucky wouldnt mind knowing the history between steve and the shield. heck, just have ironman or black panther make him a new one.maybe he could order one from the tinker. :lol:

Previsionary

I feel like I've said this before, but I'll just repeat myself:

Steve gave up the shield because he can't handle being Captain America right now. He wants Bucky to carry it, and yes, Bucky tried to return it several times (in fact, that's what Siege: Captain America was about because apparently Captain America [series] and Captain America: Reborn weren't enough to send this point home.)

With that said, Steve has some tools in his arsenal and Bendis reintroduced the energy shield just before Siege kicked off. Some people won't be happy with some of his new weapons, but Bru can't please everyone and peeps are already jumping to conclusions about things they know nothing about... so, a typical day in the fandom, I suppose. :P

Check it, another Captain America mini. No, not for Steve. Another Captain America... Jeff Mace!

murs47

Quote from: daglob on April 16, 2010, 08:45:54 PM
... But Steve just NEEDS to carry a shield. Get him the one with magnets or the energy shield or SOMETHING...

Good idea for a skin. Maybe an energy shield that matches his new costume.

Previsionary

C2E2 Marvel Panel news

Some highlights, IMO:

QuoteBrevoort took the ball to talk about the just-announced "Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier," saying that the espionage-themed book would tie into the origins of the super-soldier serum, the scientist who created the serum and would drive events that would lead into a major Marvel sighting coming soon. Brevoort also confirmed that Dale Eaglesham would not return to "Fantastic Four" since he's drawing this book instead.

QuoteThe teaching lineup for Gage's "Avengers Academy" was revealed, including Tigra, Justice, Quicksilver, The Wasp (Hank Pym) and Speedball, of whom Gage said, "It's not monkey Speedball!" The writer added "He's trying to move past the horrible things he's been through as Penance, but he's going to find out it's not as easy as changing clothes." In fact, all of the heroes on the teaching team are facing down their past, from Quicksilver's Brotherhood of Evil mutants membership to Justice having killed his own father. Singh added that the goal for the Avengers line in the Heroic Age is so the company can say "every single book as a unique identity."

QuoteHickman said that "Secret Warriors" would reach it's natural conclusion around issue #27 and 28.

QuoteAsked what the decision-making process was for keeping Bucky Barnes as Captain America, Quesada said that it was in part the answer to the question "What was going to make for the best story?" and that the popularity of BuckyCap didn't hurt. Additionally, "Ed [Brubaker] has a wonderful idea for these specific characters, and he's going to take them on a wild ride."

On FRP2, we had a discussion about how much pull Bucky now has as a character. Seems he's a much bigger draw than many realized.

QuoteA fan asked what the panel thought of the fact that "the return of Steve Rogers was botched" with the character showing up before the end of "Captain America: Reborn" hit. Loeb joked, "We try to do that as often as possible. We want to have as many books with continuity that makes no sense as possible...and I'm leading the charge on that front." But Brevoort soon explained that when the "Reborn" story grew to six issues because Bryan Hitch's style necessitated more story pages and they realized the other comics they'd planned to follow up on issue #5 would make less sense, they went with the option that held up less books even though it wasn't ideal. If they had waited on so much of the line for just one issue of "Reborn" to ship, they thought more fans would have been upset in the end.

Thank you for owning up, Loeb. :P

Check the link for more goodies such as sketches and promo pics.

Cap Specific News Here

QuoteEd Brubaker knows how hard it can be to give readers what they want in regards to Marvel Comics' star-spangled Avenger.

"You know, originally Steve Rogers was only going to be dead for six months," recalled the writer. "And then the Cap book kept growing and growing, and all the people who were mad that we killed him are now kind of mad that we brought him back, because they're worried that we'll take Captain America from Bucky. That's not happening."

What is happening, as revealed last night at the Diamond Retailer Summit ahead of the Chicago Comics & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) that this July, Marvel will release "Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier" - a four-issue miniseries by Brubaker and artist Dale Eaglesham which promises to take the original Captain America off into his own cloak and dagger adventures while Bucky Barnes continues as Cap."I did miss the character. He and Bucky are among my top three or four Marvel characters that are fun to write. I felt Steve's voice had really been missing, and there's a lot more to do with the guy."

The origins of this new series came from that need to find more of a place for Steve Rogers than as a supporting character in "Captain America" and even though it's also been revealed that the hero (who will sport a new costume designed by Marko Djurdjevic) will star in "Secret Avengers," Brubaker explained that a solo series made sense. "Part of why it came up is just because Steve is back. While he is starring in 'Secret Avengers,' that's a team book, and he's not on every single page. He hasn't been around in a few years, and he was only in 'Reborn' in a really strange way, so part of it was 'Let's spend some time with this guy.'

"Now that he's back, and Bucky's running around as Cap, he's in various Avengers books here and there, and he's the star of 'Secret Avengers,' but really, it's a different role than when he's off on his own. It can bring him into this big, international, high explosive secret story that's going on. It fits in thematically with everything going on in 'Secret Avengers' and 'Cap,' but it's really following up on 'Reborn' to a large degree, too. It answers the question of 'Where's Steve's head at?'"

murs47

QuoteHickman said that "Secret Warriors" would reach it's natural conclusion around issue #27 and 28.

:(

herodad1

sorry if i bring things up thats already been covered guys! i dont buy comics anymore( i do have a subscription to THOR ) so the only way of knowing whats up in the marvel universe is from you guys!

Podmark

Justice, Hank, Pietro and Speedball(!) in Avengers Academy? Now that's more like it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on April 17, 2010, 03:07:10 AM
Justice, Hank, Pietro and Speedball(!) in Avengers Academy? Now that's more like it.

Quicksilver is good again? Robbie isnt slicing his wrists anymore? Well anyways, I kinda like that line-up. I'm still not sold on the students though.

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on April 17, 2010, 03:11:18 AM
Quicksilver is good again? Robbie isnt slicing his wrists anymore? Well anyways, I kinda like that line-up. I'm still not sold on the students though.

Quicksilver became good again in Mighty Avengers. Robbie is on the way to good mental health in the most recent issues of The Initiative.

Anyway Justice, Speedball and Hank Pym are among my favorite characters, I really like Quicksilver too. So this is the kind of characters I was hoping would be in the book.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

Great news all around... honestly give cap an energy shield and I'll be happy. I agree that Speedball is getting his stuff together but I dont know if I can still picture him as speedball, so it is odd he will be using that name. I'm not "in love" with the penance persona but I would love to see some middle ground. I came into Secret Warriors late but man it is a good book... I dont care if it ends so long as it ends well, from interviews it sounds like Hickman is all about planning huge chunks and seeing 'em through.

Academy is what I'm looking forward to the most given how much I loved Initiative. Tigra has always been one of my favorite characters who just does not do much so it was nice to see her get TOUGH in DR/Siege and hopefully she will become one of the stars with Hank. Oh... and shes... ... and Hank might have to take responsability even though it has nothing to do with him directly.

Podmark

Quote from: lugaru on April 17, 2010, 03:55:08 AM
I agree that Speedball is getting his stuff together but I dont know if I can still picture him as speedball, so it is odd he will be using that name. I'm not "in love" with the penance persona but I would love to see some middle ground.

I'm actually with you on that. The nice thing about Robbie becoming Penance was that it brought some attention and development to the character and by association it brought more attention to the New Warriors who had largely slipped into obscurity at the time. It seems a shame if Robbie is just going to completely revert back to his old Speedball persona, but considering Gage wrote Penance in Thunderbolts and the Initiative I'm sure his Robbie will play off what happened before.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

I miss evil time-travely Quicksilver but I am glad Speedball is coming back sort of.

As for BuckyCap, I love him. It is the first time I've liked Captain America as an idea...