News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on July 15, 2012, 07:48:15 PM
Looks like you were on target about Minimum Carnage, it is a Scarlet Spider/Venom x-over. I'm actually really looking forward to this. Article here.

I thought it would be Wells/Crain mini but I'm just as happy with this. Flash and Kaine teaming up should be fun. Was worried when Venom and Scarlet Spider weren't in the solicits but they were just hiding them for this announcement.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: laughing paradox on July 12, 2012, 06:24:01 PM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 11, 2012, 08:02:18 PM
I just bought a couple issues of X-Men with Northstar's wedding and a few Hulk (Rulk) issues with Alpha Flight guest appearing.  They were all fairly good reads too...Yay!

Dana

Astonishing X-men under Marjorie Liu has been fun. It's my favorite X-men book out right now.

I'm considering buying more Astonishing x-men and I haven't actively collected any x-books since the mid nineties.

Dana

Talavar

Avengers Academy is ending in November.  :(

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

you should have expected it. It's always the fan faves that go first with Marvel, especially if it's not a core, well established book.

All New X-men #1 previews:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/21/marvel-now-preview-all-new-x-men-1/

Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on August 21, 2012, 05:34:11 PM
you should have expected it. It's always the fan faves that go first with Marvel, especially if it's not a core, well established book.

I actually got tricked. I had been expecting it to be cancelled for Marvel Now, then Newsarama ran an article with the previous set of solicits where they said they thought it was sticking around.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deano_ue

so Marvel big internet shattering story centred around spider-man 700 is

Spoiler
peter creates a lab accident  that hits a midtown high student who happens to be a loner, hates sports and has neglectful parents, who turns him in to a super hero, not just any hero but in reeds own terms "phoenix and galactus are omega level, he's the first ever alpha level hero

so there is that so what do we do

Spoiler
have him become a complete prat until dun dun duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh spider-man makes him his sidekick

:unsure:

detourne_me

say what?
Wouldn't Reed's own son be alpha level..... since he can create whole universes?

Also I love the idea that Franklin is the linchpin of the entire marvel universe. He has pretty much stopped time, and only causes it to progress in some instances:
http://majorspoilers.com/2011/08/19/major-spoilers-confidential-case-file-0001-the-franklin-richards-paradox/
http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff_franklin.html

AfghanAnt

Spoiler
I thought Alpha level in Marvel was below Omega but ahead of beta? also this sounds terrible. What is going on with comics?

Previsionary

Yeah, Alpha is below Omega. What's up, Marvel? Where your editors at? Det, Franklin is an Omega+, as was Vulcan. Alpha level characters are those such as Emma (now), Prof X (before he fell into the M'Kraan crystal), Gambit, Psylocke (depending on which version of her is walking around), and Rogue (now) or Dazzler.

Silver Shocker

I don't like Tobey Garfield. And judging from online reception, neither do most other readers. Mind you, this is intentional, but it's still a pretty botched execution.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

detourne_me

Thanks for clearing up the power rankings,even though some of those seem a bit suspect. Also, doesn't that ranking only apply for mutants?
Maybe Tobey Garfield is a clever stab at how the actors never wanted their face covered?
Also, comics alliance just ran a pretty good article at how much of an asshat Peter Parker was in the early issues of ASM, He really was a reluctant hero.

BlueBard

Just for my own edification...

What are the definitions of Omega and Alpha levels?

Dazzler I kind of get... her ability to transmute sound into light is virtually limitless as demonstrated by Galactus.  Professor X I could also see.

Don't understand what makes the others mentioned "Alpha".
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Talavar

My (admittedly fuzzy) understanding was - alpha mutants were those who looked perfectly normal, and whose powers had no real downside.  Beta level were those with a physical mutation accompanying their powers (a la beast, Wolverine, Nightcrawler), gamma level were those with a physical mutation but no real power (like some of the morlocks), and omega level were those whose power level was nearly limitless (Jean, Vulcan after M-day, Iceman I think, others).

I'd never really heard this system applied to non-mutants until now, so this could all be wrong.

Previsionary

Talavar is correct (Gamma level were those classified as above human level with physical manifestations accompanying their powers that affected every day life. I recall that Rogue was at this level for a while), though as I said, Vulcan and Franklin are officially classed as "Beyond Omega."

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Previsionary on August 23, 2012, 02:41:59 AM
Yeah, Alpha is below Omega. What's up, Marvel? Where your editors at?

They're all bowing before what they believe to be is the grand Bendis but is actually just a lowly bald man sittingon a toilet becuase there never was such a thing as the grand Bendis!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

deano_ue

anyone reading deadpool kills the marvel U. was curious to see if its worth picking up

Silver Shocker

I passed on it, but I've heard inklings that it's good. And I like what I've read by Cullen Bunn, so I'll keep that book in mind in case I want to pick it up down the line.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Podmark

Time for some stuff I liked this week:

Amazing Spider-Man #693: I'm a sucker for the Jackal.

Avengers Academy #36: Going to miss this book when it's gone.

Hawkeye #2: The first issue was pretty decent but this issue was a lot of fun, I can't recommend it enough. The art had style, and if you're a Young Avengers fan I felt this might be the best written Kate Bishop ever.

On another note, earlier this week Marvel revealed 3 interlocking covers for Jonathan Hickman's twice monthly Avengers revealing some of the supposedly 18 member team.
Of particular note is Sunspot and Cannonball (both in new costumes - I might have to add another skin to my Cannonball pack). I'm happy to see Sam being used but I never really thought of him as an Avenger before. That ought to be interesting.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on September 07, 2012, 01:00:50 AM
Hawkeye #2: The first issue was pretty decent but this issue was a lot of fun, I can't recommend it enough. The art had style, and if you're a Young Avengers fan I felt this might be the best written Kate Bishop ever.

Book of the week, by a landslide.

Silver Shocker

Yep. I loved this issue. With the first issue, I found I had to try to check my bias at the door, because I knew it was a well done book but it wasn't really my cup of tea. But I was planning to keep reading since it's a Clint Barton and Kate Bishop book and Fraction didn't disappoint. The two characters play off each other really well. I'm looking forward to reading more of this book.
~Rocky Balboa

laughing paradox

Hawkeye is already the best Marvel book out there. The art and writing is on point. I hope Aja and Fraction decide to stick together, because the magic would be lost with either of them missing.

Talavar

I'd say the best Marvel books right now are Waid's Daredevil, Avengers Academy and the new Hawkeye book (with honourable mentions for the new Captain Marvel and Wolverine & the X-men).

murs47

I gotta go with Uncanny X-Force as the best Marvel title ATM. But, if Hawkeye keeps it up, it'll easily take the top spot. It's just too early to call it the best title right now.

Previsionary

Not amused. DUmb decision. Typical Marvel.

Talavar

Honestly...
Spoiler
I'd forgotten Professor X was even alive at the moment.  He's largely been a non-presence in the X-men books for quite awhile now.  At least they didn't paralyze him again.

Previsionary

That's Marvel's fault.

Spoiler
They completely minimalized his role after a pretty good stint on Legacy and empowering him to possible omega levels, and then they let Cyclops talk down to him at ever pass before finally replacing him with Magneto. Nothing was stopping them from allowing Xavier to have a more impactful role to continue his redemption. He and Storm could have started a new team, he could have taken over the training for some of the younger X-men, he could have helped some mutants cope... but nope, they pushed him aside.

detourne_me

in regards to the spoilers
Spoiler
i'm kind of glad too. the x-men as a franchise had kind of lost it's direction.  hopefully the whole uncanny avengers setup will help clear the board. give x-men sometime to be superheroes, and then decide on a role for mutantkind.

John Jr.

Spoiler
You know, Chuck died more times than Flash and Resurrection Man put together, so it's hard to believe this time will be different
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/12/the-many-deaths-of-spoiler/