Eartha Kitt

Started by Glitch Girl, December 26, 2008, 12:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

The singer of "Santa Baby", actress who played Catwoman, and all around distinctive purring voice has passed away.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20249101,00.html
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

RTTingle

Heartbreaking.  :(

I'd have to say, watching Batman as a young tyke... and seeing Kitt as Catwoman, I learned there was a whole new world to women. ;)

The Hitman

This is really a shame.

Even though she was technically the 3rd Catwoman, she will always be number 1 to me. I remember watching old reruns of Batman when I was, like, 4, and thought it was so cool for grownups to be running around in costumes, and in her case, talking so darn funny and purring all the time. She will be missed.

Gremlin

Bruce Wayne wannabes everywhere are mourning. Myself included.

AfghanAnt

I really liked her in Boomerang.

thanoson

Wow, I just saw her the other day on a rerun of living single. She was so awesome.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

Shogunn2517

Quote from: AfghanAnt on December 26, 2008, 06:14:58 AM
I really liked her in Boomerang.

lol

I do think it's remarkable for her to be a black woman and play what was thought to be a white character.  I know this has been a contended debate with a lot of people having minorities play characters who have been traditionally portrayed white.  Before MCD was Kingpin, before Alba was Sue Storm and even before Halle Barry played the other Catwoman, Kitt did the character well enough to be respected in the role.  And this was in the 1960s, in a time where I couldn't imagine it would have been easy.

thalaw2

I used to watch old movies with my mother and Eartha was one of my favorites.  I loved her voice and....her body.  My high school crush was a girl who looked like young Kitt.

I also loved her in Boomerang.  I thought she still looked reasonably hot at that time..ehehehehee!
革命不会被电视转播

cmdrkoenig67

This is a very sad day...RIP Eartha.

Dana

Bugbear

Eartha Kitt was awesome.  I am very sad.  :(

Anyone remember her small role in Erik the Viking?

-BG
With my freeze ray I will STOP... the world.

danhagen

Eartha Kitt was a talented, free-spirited and courageous woman who stood up to denounce the Vietnam war in front of the president's wife when it was unpopular to do so. Her autobiography is an inspiration.
Veritas et probitas super omnia.

Uncle Yuan

It's been a kind of tough week in Geekville.  Such a shame.  Waiting for number three . . .

And on a somewhat snarky note, I'm a little disappointed that EK is getting so much love, While Majel Barrett has a mere 5 replies.  I'm not saying Kitt should have less, mind you, just that Barrett should have a lot more.  Ah well, for the most part this place is for comic geeks . . .

"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

JeyNyce

:(  She was one of the reasons why I like the 60's Batman.  I had a huge crush on her....  I will miss her.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Swingman