Green Lantern Live action movie

Started by Midnite, February 05, 2009, 05:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hamrick

Here is my take on it. 

The only place where the CGI was that distracting was where he put the suit on.  I can deal with the rest.  However, that bit in the apartment where he is showing the suit to his friend looked like it needed some work. 

As for Hal, I'll go with it.  It seems everyone complaining about the depiction wants to see Hal after he's had the ring for a while but not see him before the ring.  More importantly, they don't want to see him becoming the man he eventually becomes.  As an added note, there is a scene in there that DIRECTLY hints at Parallax being in one of the sequels and at the reason for the yellow impurity that the ring originally had. 

As for Reynolds, I've had the opportunity to watch him work on set two days now.  He's does seem to take stuff seriously on set.  I suspect if the script is good then Reynolds will do everything he can to deliver.  He gets the fan base for Deadpool and for Green Lantern, I think.  And more than that, he seems willing to embrace it.  I actually walked away with more respect for Reynolds than I had going in.  (That probably sounds worse than I mean it.)

(Oh, and the film is called The Change Up and I am an extra in two scenes.)

thalaw2

Yeah the suit CGI kinda looks strange, but maybe it looks different in 3D...the way it's meant to be viewed.  haha! 

And now that the actor playing GL is the sexiest man alive....I just gotta see this movie!
革命不会被电视转播

captmorgan72

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on November 18, 2010, 04:40:21 AM

As for Hal, I'll go with it.  It seems everyone complaining about the depiction wants to see Hal after he's had the ring for a while but not see him before the ring.  More importantly, they don't want to see him becoming the man he eventually becomes. 

I totally agree with this. This is Hal before the ring not after he's had it awhile. Everything is new to him, the aliens, OA, everything.

BlueBard

Quote from: RTTingle on November 17, 2010, 03:52:50 AM
I hear the name Hal Jordan, but it just feels more like Kyle Raynor.

And why not?

Kyle's story is about a normal guy who suddenly finds himself in possession of a "magic ring" that can do nearly anything the wearer can imagine, if his willpower is strong enough.  Unlike Hal's original debut, DC had the luxury of being able to explore that idea with Kyle and work through it.  In more recent memory, Hal in the comics has been through the wringer... he's had to wrestle with his weaknesses in ways that had never occurred earlier in his history, and he's come out the better for it.

Why wouldn't they draw on some of those ideas when Hal is being reintroduced to a modern audience?

They can do that and still leave room for Hal's personality.  If they do it right, we'll get the awesome chance to watch Hal being forged into the Greatest Green Lantern.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

docdelorean88

As an added note, there is a scene in there that DIRECTLY hints at Parallax being in one of the sequels and at the reason for the yellow impurity that the ring originally had. 

Actually, the plot synopsis at the bottom of the site that the trailer is posted on mentions Parallax directly.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: docdelorean88 on November 18, 2010, 10:20:16 PM
 As an added note, there is a scene in there that DIRECTLY hints at Parallax being in one of the sequels and at the reason for the yellow impurity that the ring originally had.  

Actually, the plot synopsis at the bottom of the site that the trailer is posted on mentions Parallax directly.

but the plot synopsis doesn't play in the theater.  my point is that it foreshadows Parallax directly if you are a fan of the character and watching in the theater.

Tomato

I think he means that the synopsis calls parallax the main villain of the movie.

thalaw2

Has there ever been any connection between Green Lanterns and the current global push for green...everything?  Now Green Lantern sounds like a clean burning, environmentally friendly light.
革命不会被电视转播

bat1987

Seems fun at least.
The problem is they want to put waaay too much stuff into it: the origin, the corps, sinestro, hammond, parallax etc.
Its not necessarily a bad thing though, we shall see.

BlueBard

Quote from: bat1987 on November 19, 2010, 11:54:18 AM
Seems fun at least.
The problem is they want to put waaay too much stuff into it: the origin, the corps, sinestro, hammond, parallax etc.

Haven't seen the plot synopsis, actually.  You see Hammond and Sinestro in the trailer, as well as the Corps, so those are no surprise.

Sinestro doesn't have to be the bad guy in this first movie, could they simply be setting him up for later?

Besides, the Corps and Sinestro are really part of his origin so it's natural for them to be included.  (Wasn't Sinestro retconned in as Hal's trainer?)

I must say, I'm not a huge GL fan and I originally didn't have a lot of interest in this movie but after seeing the trailer I'm actually starting to get excited about this.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BlueBard on November 19, 2010, 02:02:12 PM
Quote from: bat1987 on November 19, 2010, 11:54:18 AM
Seems fun at least.

Haven't seen the plot synopsis, actually.  You see Hammond and Sinestro in the trailer, as well as the Corps, so those are no surprise.

Sinestro doesn't have to be the bad guy in this first movie, could they simply be setting him up for later?

Besides, the Corps and Sinestro are really part of his origin so it's natural for them to be included.  (Wasn't Sinestro retconned in as Hal's trainer?)

I must say, I'm not a huge GL fan and I originally didn't have a lot of interest in this movie but after seeing the trailer I'm actually starting to get excited about this. 

It's been stated that Sinestro is not a villain in the first one.  From what I have heard, he has some sort of "downfall" in this film that leads him to becoming the villain we are all familiar with.  I'm guessing that Parallax is teased but not confronted though it could be easy to slide him in somehow.  I have also heard there are seeds planted for Blake Lively to become Star Sapphire.  But Hector Hammond is the primary villain for the first movie.

As for the GL Corp.  I think it's absolutely necessary to include them in SOME capacity.  It shows how big of a deal being a Green Lantern is over the course of several worlds. 

docdelorean88

I saw the trailer in theatres last night. Looks pretty good on the big screen! The only odd point is that scene where hes showing his friend and stretching, but it doesn't look bad. :)
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

JeyNyce

Yeah, it does look better in the theaters
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BWPS

The CGI and costumes in a few parts is what's making me so excited for this movie. Also that it just looks epic. I hope a good bit of it is on alien planets because these are the best looking aliens, like ever. Did you think Abin Sur, Kilowog, etc. were going to be so true to the comics AND look so awesome? They could have taken some "visible penis is kinda uncool" liberties with the costume vs. it's made out of powers liberties but I'm not sure the CGI is done on that since it looks worse than some of the coolest parts of the trailer:

These frames should make any GL fan in the world excited. Or anyone really.
Also "there's water in the tap" is a funny line. And RR is so likable. I'm pretty pumped. It seems like a very full-assed film, unlike Wolverine or Ghost Rider types. It also seems to be covering a lot, so I hope it's pretty long, like 2.5 hours without getting boring.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Mr. Hamrick

Guys, I wanted to point something out here right fast.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to work in the art department on a movie with actor Doug Jones. (Who played Abe in Hellboy 2 and a bunch of other stuff you all know).  That film should not be discussed in much detail here because of the subject matter but it's quite a remarkable and well done film.  Doug's work in it is brilliant.  I mention this for a reason.

I got to see two cuts of the movie.  The first cut I saw was actually a second rough cut.  It was made after the trailer was created after the first rough cut if not from some raw footage.  Anyways, that rough cut had some noticeable CGI issues and colorization issues.  Those of us who saw the cut knew that going in, though.  The second cut I saw was the final cut shown at the premiere and watched with the audience.  If you hadn't known certain bits were CGI then you'd never know that this bit or that big had been CGI. 

The point here is this.  There are going to be some elements that we can tell are CGI.  A lot of that is just going to be from the fact that we were told going in that this or that was going to be CGI.  That said, if the CGI is good then it's not going to be all that noticeable most likely up on the big screen.  Of course, there always could be some poor shots like in Superman Returns with the bullet nearing the eye, but let's hope not.  If the worse CGI in the film is the scene where Hal is showing his "uniform" or GL suit to Thomas then we should honestly be thankful that is it.  Because it could be a lot worse. 

I sit there and look at those two screen shots and I don't really think the suits look all that bad on either of them.  They look pretty sweet in fact.  Especially considering they are CGI.