News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Is this Superboy Prime?

Started by AncientSpirit, February 10, 2009, 03:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

Just read the new #0 Adventure comics with the repeat of Superboy's first meeting with the Legion of Superheroes.

Is this nice young man supposed to be Superboy Prime who's tearing up the universe today?   If so, does this mean that Superboy Prime has the incredible powers that Supes used to have - flying through time, etc. ?

(I admit I felt nostalgic at seeing Superboy again, although his stories in retrospect where basically "lame" by today's standards.)

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

AfghanAnt

The_Baroness

i though prime and pocket where the same...... in the byrne story of matriz-supergirl... the superboy lost from pocket universe...is the same that is supposed to end with earth 3 luthor and earth 2 lois and clark.... as far as i remember.... but.. maybe wrong

AfghanAnt

Quote from: The_Baroness on February 10, 2009, 08:48:11 PM
i though prime and pocket where the same...... in the byrne story of matriz-supergirl... the superboy lost from pocket universe...is the same that is supposed to end with earth 3 luthor and earth 2 lois and clark.... as far as i remember.... but.. maybe wrong

The wiki link explains it all.

AncientSpirit

AA, the link isn't working for me.   Could you do a brief recap or a copy and paste?
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

Podmark

Quote from: AncientSpirit on February 11, 2009, 12:05:35 AM
AA, the link isn't working for me.   Could you do a brief recap or a copy and paste?

You just need to add a ) to the end of the link. it gets cut off for some reason.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Panther_Gunn

I'll do a brief recap (cuz I likes to  :P):

DC Universe, Pre-Crisis, business as usual, multiple earths, stories of Superboy are of Earth-1 Superman as a boy, Earth-2 Superman (older, around during WWII) never had a superhero career as a boy.  LSH founded on example and ideals of Superboy.

Crisis on Infinite Earths -- as all of the red skies are starting, Earth-1 Superman comes back to earth from either a point out in space, another dimension, or somewhere in the timeline (minor detail, has no bearing), finds that he's in orbit around Earth-Prime (no superheros -- unless you count Ultraa --, only in comics, supposed to be equivalent of our reality).  On the surface, a boy named Clark Kent on purpose by his parents (who thought it was cute), on way to/from costume party dressed as Superboy, with his girlfriend Lori (dressed as a mermaid, btw).  Little bit of backstory, always got teased for his name, etc.  They look up, skies go all red & wonky.  Boy feels like he should do something about it, finds himself starting to fly up (unsteadily) into the air.  Bumps into Superman, he brings boy back with him to Earth-1.

End of Crisis -- Alexander Luthor Jr. (Earth-3) takes Earth-2 Superman & Earth-Prime Superboy (who now have no homes nor place in reality due to merging of all universes into one) into pocket dimension away from everything to live out rest of days in peace with Earth-2 Lois.  (may have had some help from Harbinger and/or Pariah, can't remember at the moment)

During first year of John Byrne's run on the new Superman title, members of the LSH show up in Metropolis, get confused when Supes doesn't recognize them.  He accompanies them back to the future, whereupon the time bubble explodes (I think).  The somehow find a way back to the past they've been visiting all this time (using the Infinite Man, I think, but could be confusing that with later developments), to be attacked by the Superboy we all know & love.  He fares a bit badly, Krypto brings out Kryptonite to battle Superman, doesn't effect him (different genetic make-up), but gold K turns poor Krypto into a normal dog.  Story unfolds that the LSH has been manipulated all these years into traveling to a pocket dimension (different, not to be confused with one that Alex L. Jr. went to) created by the Time Trapper.  Trapper threatened Superboy with destruction of the dimension if he aided the LSH anymore.

LSH with Superboy go on to confront Trapper (Superman went/was sent home at some point).  Trapper defeated (seemingly, as always), but mechanism keeping pocket dimension together damaged.  At some point, the machinery was set to phase it into an inaccessible dimension, but now just dissipating.  Mon-El tries to complete circuit with his body, but too much for him after the battle.  Superboy  uses his own body to complete the circuit, giving his life to save his world, as a true hero.   :cry:

And thus begins continuity hell for the LSH.

Fast-foward to DC, post-2000, apparently out of ideas, ushers in the Decade Of Too Many Crises.  Superboy-Prime (whose power levels are on par with the 1970's Curt Swan Superman, way higher than the current toned-down Superman), a bit loopy from spending the last two decades or so cooped up in a wierd pocket dimension with just three other people, punches a hole in the fabric of reality.  The rest, unfortunatly, you probably know.  :thumbdown:
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

GhostMachine

DC really should kill off Superboy Prime, if they haven't already done it. Because turning him into a villain was idiotic and there's no way he can ever be redeemed - he's murdered billions of people, destroying one of the new alternate Earths, besides killing and maiming several DC heroes and villains and the Earth 2 Superman gave his life to help defeat him.

I know there's no Kryptonite they can use, but there are other ways to take him out once and for all. A Silver Age power level Superman or a full powered Spectre could do it.

Podmark

I love Superboy Prime. I think he's a great villain. The only thing is that I can see him becoming old after a while. He's powerful enough that it takes dozens of super heroes to beat him, and his MO is pretty beat up/kill everyone who gets in his way and rip off one of Risk's limbs, you'd have to come up with something more interesting after a while.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Alternate universe kryptonite not working is soo stupid though; with that logic, alternate universe yellow sunlight shouldn't give him super powers.