News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Batmobiles

Started by Tomato, April 07, 2024, 03:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

So I've done a few of these where I've gone out of my way to include images and make a whole production out of it... but I'm in the mood for a more loosey goosey list this time, so we're just gonna wing it.

Long story short, along with my Batman figures, I have a fair number of Batmobiles from different eras (Adam West, TAS, Tumbler, Arkham Knight, etc.). I'm not a huge Car guy, but even I know the importance of the Batmobile to the iconography of the character.

That said, I was skimming some 3d print files that included various Batmobiles, and there are a few that just... they're so BAD. Batman Forever looks like someone added a rib cage to the outside of a car, it's so ugly.

But if there are objectively bad Batmobile designs, what then even is the perfect Batmobile design? Because I'll be honest, a lot of the go-to "definitive" Batmobiles (89/Returns, BTAS/TNBA) are all kind of... off to me. To my eye, they've just got way too much length on the front end to be practical.

On the flip side, I feel like Begins ushered in the era of the "Tank" Batmobile, and I'm not really a huge fan of that direction for the thing. It was a novel one-off idea in Begins (and even that trilogy got rid of it by mid-TDK), but BvS and ESPECIALLY Arkham Knight beat that concept into the ground.

In my mind, the perfect Batmobile is more... James Bond, if that makes sense. Less "tank" and more "crazy contraption". The car version of the Utility Belt. The Batman is probably the closest in the movies, though it's a little boring for my taste. The Adam West Batmobile is almost too far the other direction (too flashy, and like the Burton/Timm era Batmobiles the front is too long) but I won't lie, it's perfect for that show and I kinda love it.

As for the comics, a lot of those tend to blend together for me aside from a few older Batmobiles, but my feelings generally tend to mirror the above points: I tend to prefer Batmobiles with a shorter front end, those with cool details but which aren't overly finny, and those with accent colors (red or yellow) tend to get bonus points with me. And don't give me the "it shouldn't have color, it should be stealthy" baloney, it's a sports car with a gimmick and gadgets, if Batman wanted the dang thing to blend in he'd just drive a normal car. He wants you to know this thing is coming for you.

That said, I'm curious what other people here think. What's YOUR idea of the quintessential Batmobile?

deanjo2000

For me I just love the 89 version, yes the front is too long but it's always the one I think of. I always thought inspector gadgets car would make a good Batmobile. Tools, weapons and can change shape. Could blend into normal city life but steps up when needed too.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

WyldFyre

1950s version. Who doesn't want a fully functional laboratory in their super-charged batmobile?

TV version a close second. Always had a soft spot for that version.
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

BentonGrey

So, I get what you're saying, 'Mato, but I don't think impracticality is really a particularly fair criteria for a car that does all the insane things the Batmobile does, at least in the comic/superhero genres in which it does them.  For me, it's definitely the TAS and '89 versions.  They're pretty much perfect to me.  Iconic, instantly recognizable and understandable, but not ridiculously over-the-top.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

It's not impracticality for me, so much as like... maneuverability. To me, this is a car that's capable of running down getaway cars, weaving in and out of the tight alleyways and streets of Gotham. Hard to do that when your dang hood is long enough to fit 3 smaller cars inside it.

To be clear, I don't HATE those Batmobiles (I feel like the Burton/Timm Batmobiles are basically THE standard for the thing) it's more I PREFER something a bit more compact. The only movie cars I actively dislike are from the Forever/B&R era, and even those tend to be more bewilderment at one or two design choices for each of them than anything.

If I had to list off some favorites, Adam West is probably near the top, followed by TNBA (I know Benton, but I like the shorter, sleaker, bat shaped hood), the Tumbler, and elements of "The Batman"'s Batmobile (I like the proportions a lot, I just wish it was less... just a car)

I fell down a rabbit hole looking at some comic designs though. There have been some goofy designs for this car over the years.

docdelorean88

I feel the "I wish it were less just a car" on The Batman muscle mobile.

I feel like "The Batman" animated wb first batmobile was partway there, same with Brave and the Bold(there's something about it being recognisable as a fancy car that maybe came from Bruce's collection that he suped up that I love). I particularly love batmobiles that have red accent elements to them generally. The red could be angled as ominous for criminals, and it's a fun break from the monochrome for the audience.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

mac402

Purely based on the looks I liked the early 90s Batmobile featured in the comics. The one that got destroyed during Knightfall storyline. It looked both sleek, fancy and practical.