Superhero Reboot

Started by BlueBard, June 22, 2010, 07:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

That was pretty funny, although I think the point about a "gritty reboot" is not true.  The Hulk Reboot was not "gritty" at all, IMO, and actually was less serious in some ways than the previous version.   But generally it was pretty good, make some good points, and was funny too.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

steamteck

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 22, 2010, 09:05:11 PM
That was pretty funny, although I think the point about a "gritty reboot" is not true.  The Hulk Reboot was not "gritty" at all, IMO, and actually was less serious in some ways than the previous version.   But generally it was pretty good, make some good points, and was funny too.

I'm with you 100%. For some characters it appropriate. For others, a gritty reboot would miss the point of the character entirely. I fear stupid producers will take this gritty reboot thing to heart.

The comment about too many villains is spot on though.

BlueBard

It also leaves some question whether you could possibly save The Punisher.  Seeing as how a gritty reboot would be redundant.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: BlueBard on June 23, 2010, 01:52:01 PM
It also leaves some question whether you could possibly save The Punisher.  Seeing as how a gritty reboot would be redundant.

I don't think that the Punisher could be saved at this point.

3 movies = 3 epic fails = Find a new character to ruin.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Shogunn2517

What I saw from the Punisher movies is much akin to three different comic runs.  You had the old school punisher(Dolph Lundgren), Marvel Knights Punisher(Thomas Jane) and Punisher Max(Ray Stevenson).  Three different sources, three different movies.  These movies were all different with separate takes on the character, just as each run was.  If you think the movies were bad, that was a director/stylistic decision.  That doesn't mean the character can't be saved.  I personally think it would work better off the big screen.

Whether a reboot is gritty or not gritty, it's all up to the direction they're taking it.  It doesn't necessarily need to be gritty, it could go from gritty to non-gritty, but certain directors/producers have their own vision of a character(s) and that's what they want to run with(ie Tim Burton to Joe Schumacher).

Then again, it seems like some producers want to make movies just to make movies or to capitalize off of a character, nevermind keeping it true to the character or even the franchise.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on June 24, 2010, 02:47:57 AM
What I saw from the Punisher movies is much akin to three different comic runs.  You had the old school punisher(Dolph Lundgren), Marvel Knights Punisher(Thomas Jane) and Punisher Max(Ray Stevenson).  Three different sources, three different movies.  These movies were all different with separate takes on the character, just as each run was.  If you think the movies were bad, that was a director/stylistic decision.  That doesn't mean the character can't be saved.  I personally think it would work better off the big screen.

Whether a reboot is gritty or not gritty, it's all up to the direction they're taking it.  It doesn't necessarily need to be gritty, it could go from gritty to non-gritty, but certain directors/producers have their own vision of a character(s) and that's what they want to run with(ie Tim Burton to Joe Schumacher).

Then again, it seems like some producers want to make movies just to make movies or to capitalize off of a character, nevermind keeping it true to the character or even the franchise.

I agree with here. I think a character like the Punisher would be better served in an episodic small screen rendition as opposed to a theatrical release that doesn't do the character any justice. As to the gritty/non-gritty question, I think staying true to the character or franchise should be the the most important facter.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

BlueBard

This is truly a comic fanboy mecca.

Only the faithful would turn a YouTube parody video into a serious discussion about purity of characterization.

But, I guess I'm included in that.   The real irony of the video is that they're essentially saying that you can fix one formulaic approach by applying another formulaic approach.

Both approaches are about filming-by-the-numbers.