Community Project and MOD IDEA - Freedom Reborn: Legacy

Started by lugaru, March 18, 2010, 01:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Right now I'm trying to familiarize myself with what is under the hood in case I end up doing most of the work my myself and so I can include some extra content. Already I've decided on a few custom attributes and if it does not have to be done on a map by map basis I might increase building hitpoints for a less crumbly world. Would people be interested in this?

lugaru

Well custom new turrets, bombs and gadgets are coming along. I will also add a bunch of new barrels including liquid nitrogen, radioactive and acid. Also I should be working on some EZ script stuff when my census job temporarily ends (I will start phase 2 soon).

Meanwhile I'm playing lots of CO which is getting in the way but I cant wait to get some real work done.

Amazo Version 2.2

Maybe custom skins for the in-game characters could be included. This way, custom attributes or ai could be demonstrated for new members with out having to use mainstream characters. Otherwise, I think it would be really helpful to have an install pack for fx's, voices, attributes, etc for new players. Maybe include a list of websites which contain other FF content.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on March 23, 2010, 06:32:21 PM
Right, I can understand the reluctance of letting people redistribute your work if they are not doing something new with it. I can also understand the trepidation that a pack may be taken as the 'best of' or the 'one stop shop' and thereby a lot of other creators are forgotten.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that when we use the term, "mod," we're usually referring to a "full conversion mod" a opposed to mod that is more-or-less a resource pack.

And speaking for myself, I know that I sometimes have to do a reality check when I see folks use meshes by another mesher that I done a version of as well (I'm looking at you, Batman). I admit it, I get a little jealous. But in the end, I made them for myself and if other people like them and use them that's fine.

Not to instigate anything, but this project seems to be going back and forth between a "Mod" and a "Beginners/Resource Pack". It doesn't bother me either way, but I'm thinking that maybe a clarification would help others form a full opinion on this.

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on April 21, 2010, 09:23:30 PM
Maybe custom skins for the in-game characters could be included. This way, custom attributes or ai could be demonstrated for new members with out having to use mainstream characters. Otherwise, I think it would be really helpful to have an install pack for fx's, voices, attributes, etc for new players. Maybe include a list of websites which contain other FF content.

I like the idea of including links to creators websites as well.

cripp12

I have one i am working on with 5700 skins and still adding. Excel spreadsheet.

TrajkLogik

'
Why would it NOT be a big deal to include "original" meshes/skins, but it would be a big deal to include mainstream meshes/skins? It sounds like it would fall under the "reluctance of letting people redistribute their work without doing something new with it". There have been resource packs for FX, Voice Packs. These aren't considered the Best-Of. Only if it includes meshes/skins it would be considered a Best-Of Pack? Even if there is only one mesh/skin in existence for one specific character, how could it be considered a Best-Of? It would be much easier to just let creators donate what they would like to see in this pack (mainstream and original). You have more than enough permissions from mesh/skin creators (see the readmes included with the 1000s of meshes and skins made for this game) to include just about any character you wanted in your Mod/Resource pack, Lugaru. And the mod-maker should be able to take the permissions given in the readme at face value. Not some third-party's interpretation of the readme writer's permissions.

lugaru

Quote from: Cyber Burn on April 22, 2010, 01:01:52 AM

Not to instigate anything, but this project seems to be going back and forth between a "Mod" and a "Beginners/Resource Pack". It doesn't bother me either way, but I'm thinking that maybe a clarification would help others form a full opinion on this.

My fantasy would be starting with something like the "avatar mod" which does nothing but ad avatars and community inspired loading screens and then make sure that every little annoyance of starting out is dealth with from FX, FFX, Voice packs and maps. Extra mainstream characters are a bonus but not my priority, even in the first post that was an afterthought.

I agree with TrajkLogik that this is a very specific sort of mod that rubs people the wrong way but is not all that different than any other mod out there. And hopefully it will add some new stuff, I'm really dense when it comes to modding this game (give me Fallout 3 or Civ 4 and I can do a lot more) but I want to put a few crumbs into the cake and hopefully other people will have some custom attributes, effects and other stuff worth throwing in there that are not collected in any form.

Also I've got some killer hosting. I would prefer to see this on a site like the one that belongs to Catwho because I'm all for centralizing. Still all I need to do is pick up a cheap domain and I would be all set, kinda want one for my rpg and other game content anyway. Also that way I could do some loud and proud HTML credits and links.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: TrajkLogik on April 22, 2010, 11:14:37 AM
'
Why would it NOT be a big deal to include "original" meshes/skins, but it would be a big deal to include mainstream meshes/skins? It sounds like it would fall under the "reluctance of letting people redistribute their work without doing something new with it". There have been resource packs for FX, Voice Packs. These aren't considered the Best-Of. Only if it includes meshes/skins it would be considered a Best-Of Pack? Even if there is only one mesh/skin in existence for one specific character, how could it be considered a Best-Of? It would be much easier to just let creators donate what they would like to see in this pack (mainstream and original). You have more than enough permissions from mesh/skin creators (see the readmes included with the 1000s of meshes and skins made for this game) to include just about any character you wanted in your Mod/Resource pack, Lugaru. And the mod-maker should be able to take the permissions given in the readme at face value. Not some third-party's interpretation of the readme writer's permissions.

I'm not trying to cause any further negative discussions, I am only suggesting that we can avoid stepping on creators toes, by using the meshes that are already included with the game (such as microwave or minuteman), and have people specifically donate skins for them. This avoids the "why wasn't my mesh used" issue, as well as the pemissions issue.

I would really like to see this project get off the ground, with as little negative opinions as possible.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

TrajkLogik

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on April 22, 2010, 03:46:12 PM
I'm not trying to cause any further negative discussions, I am only suggesting that we can avoid stepping on creators toes, by using the meshes that are already included with the game (such as microwave or minuteman), and have people specifically donate skins for them. This avoids the "why wasn't my mesh used" issue, as well as the pemissions issue.

I would really like to see this project get off the ground, with as little negative opinions as possible.
I totally agree with the last sentence.

If people can donate skins to this project, then why not meshes? I'm sure other content (FX, Maps, Scripting etc.) is being donated/used with permission - which has been my point all along - donations. With all the content with readmes that say "go ahead use it just give me credit" and those that have shown support and permissions in this thread, Lugaru already has a wide variety of stuff to choose from. If there's a particular thing he wants to use whose permission isn't clarified by themselves (not a third party), he can always contact the person. Those that don't donate anything really shouldn't be having a say in what is included. It's really very simple. I don't see any reason to be negative if this is the way it's done.

EDIT:
And according to Lugaru's own statements in this thread, this is how it will be done. With that being said, to avoid any further negativity, it would be my suggestion to make posts that support, donate and give permissions and suggestions of what should be included, rather than what shouldn't.