News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Colossus vs Luke Cage

Started by captmorgan72, May 25, 2009, 06:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

What do you guys think? Luke and Pete both have pretty much the same invulnerability level. Pete has the advantage in strength but Luke has a healing factor. A slight one but one none the less and that has to count in a long fight. In the rumble room using USAgent's hero files with some tweaks from me (basically giving them both the same durability level) Luke pretty much always wins. The healing factor is what does it, with the fast healing attribute.

thalaw2

Since when did they have the same level of invulnerability?  I really haven't been keeping up with comics...as i recall it it was no contest.  Luke Cage couldn't tickle Pete if he used all his might.  I like LC but powers are powers and weight classes are weight classes.  LC cannot take a punch from Juggernaut but Pete can.
革命不会被电视转播

bearded

really, we need to set up a last man standing role playing contest.  we could use marvel rpg stats and someone has to volunteer to be judge.

DrMike2000

Colossus is in the 70 ton weight class, Luke's below 10 isnt he?

This has to go to Colossus.

In a comics confrontation, Luke's much more experienced and could probably out-think Petey and trick him somehow, but he'd be coming from the underdog position. Which ironically, does mean he'd win, since no-one wants to read a story where Colossus beats up someone at least 7 times weaker than him, and that's that! :)
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

captmorgan72

Actually Luke can press 25 tons and Pete 100. I would suspect that Luke can in fact take a hit from Juggs since his skin is as hard as titanium, roughly the same strength as Pete's organic steel. I am getting most of this info from here http://www.marvel.com/universe/Cage,_Luke

Even though Pete is at least three times as strong as Luke, we all know strength is not the end game in battle. It's that slight healing factor that I think would give Luke the edge. I suppose it really isn't fast enough to make much of a difference during a long fight, maybe I should remove the fast healing attribute for Luke to better reflect that?

Zippo

I think this goes to Colossus hands down. The marvel universe website says Cage has steel hard skin (though wikipedia says titanium), and I've seen Colossus tear through a tank like it was nothing. Furthermore, everything I've read states that not only does Colossus retain his normal mobility, but his endurance and speed are both increased with his transformation. Piotr also has the size and weight advantage.
I doubt Cage's accelerated healing would be of any use to him during the fight. The sources I've looked at say it's only 3 or so times faster than a regular human.

steamteck

Colossus without a doubt. If Cage isn't being written as a golden boy, they aren't even vaguely in the same weight class. 

captmorgan72

Quote from: Zippo on May 25, 2009, 08:07:56 AM
I think this goes to Colossus hands down. The marvel universe website says Cage has steel hard skin (though wikipedia says titanium), and I've seen Colossus tear through a tank like it was nothing. Furthermore, everything I've read states that not only does Colossus retain his normal mobility, but his endurance and speed are both increased with his transformation. Piotr also has the size and weight advantage.
I doubt Cage's accelerated healing would be of any use to him during the fight. The sources I've looked at say it's only 3 or so times faster than a regular human.

That's true about Pete ripping through a tank like it was nothing but so has many opponents that Pete has fought. Pete's skin is organic steel so it can't be that much harder than titanium strength skin. Also Cage can punch through 4 inches of steel plating. I am starting to agree about Luke's slight healing factor not being a factor in a fight. I think I will remove the fast healing attribute from my Luke Cage hero file. I don't think though that Pete would dominate this fight, I think it would be close.

thanoson

Collossus all the way. I don't know when Luke got Titanium skin, but there is no way he can go toe to toe with Pete. Remember, Pete has experiance in fighting super strong and tough opponents. Luke, not so much.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

herodad1

i wish writers would leave the characters alone and if they are going to write stories do their homework before hand.whoever jacked up luke was probably a powerman fan and thought they would change marvel history.although colossus in my tiny opinion has luke beat in strength and resistance i think luke would start fighting a street wise smarter fight once his punches had less effect than he thought they would.toe to toe i'd go colossus but who knows.theres always a power cable lying around somewhere in the movies/comics.luke looks like he'd have good boxing skills too.when the marauders attacked the x-men, colossus was badly hurt.when he recovered( during the australian outback days) his strength had increased to 80-85 ton level.dont know how.as far as lukes power jump i'm in the dark on that one.

Talavar

Colossus' skin isn't just metal - he's metal all the way through when he changes.  That should be considerably tougher than Luke Cage's titanium/steel-hard skin, and Colossus is also a lot stronger.  Piotr all the way.

captmorgan72

Quote from: Talavar on May 25, 2009, 05:11:06 PM
Colossus' skin isn't just metal - he's metal all the way through when he changes.  That should be considerably tougher than Luke Cage's titanium/steel-hard skin, and Colossus is also a lot stronger.  Piotr all the way.

That's true, that would give him a higher invulnerability level. I will have to reflect that in my hero files. Thanks guys for all your input.

daglob

Once upon a time, Luke got bruised from bullets. Coloussus has never been bruised by bullets. Luke was once around three times as strong as a man his general build would be. I still remember the time he suffered all sorts of physical punishment that ended with him falling through the top of a bus. His comment was to the effect that he couldn't have survived that because it hurt too much. (no reference to cite, I'd have to see if I still had the comics)

And I remember Luke going all the way to Latveria because Doom welshed on a contract.

Petey would win, but he's have to practically kill Luke to do it.

Carravaggio

Quote from: captmorgan72 on May 25, 2009, 02:49:31 PM
Pete's skin is organic steel so it can't be that much harder than titanium strength skin.

That seems like a bit of a leap in reasoning, Cap.

Colossus's skin is made of an element similar to Osmium, not 'organic steel'.
From wiki: "The density of osmium is...slightly greater than the density of iridium, the second densest element."
So Colossus's skin is stronger than the element that is denser than the second densest element. Colossus's skin is a completely unique metal that comes from another dimension that Pete is linked into. Calling it organic steel infers that his skin has the same durability as steel, when in fact its much stronger.

I think it comes down to this: Colossus can take a direct punch from Juggernaut and stay standing. Luke cage couldn't. Ever. Even if Bendis is writing him.
In the end Cage wouldn't do enough damage to affect Pete. Cage, even with hours to spare, couldn't muster up enough power to create Juggernaut levels of damage. Colossus could literally, in my estimation of their powers, shrug off anything Cage could throw at him.

Also, if secret war has told us anything, its that Cage is only invulnerable on the outside. His internal organs are human, albeit able to heal slightly faster than the norm. The force of Colossus's punches would shake Cage to his core, doing massive internal damage. I think Cage would be lucky to survive a few rounds, these guys are in completely different power classes.

herodad1

as far as lukes strength like i said before, when he was at 3 ton level he was more interesting.i remember one issue of HFH when crooks tried to escape in a semi.he grabbed the back and it took everything he had to hold it long enough for fist to disable the driver.the struggle is exciting to see/read about that our heroes go through.those were the days.

lugaru

When I was playing devils advocate for Luke in the other thread one thing I mentioned is that I dont like the power creep he has been seeing... thank god it is not up to colossus levels yet though, so Colossus would win.

stumpy

Quote from: Carravaggio on May 25, 2009, 10:24:22 PMColossus's skin is made of an element similar to Osmium, not 'organic steel'.
From wiki: "The density of osmium is...slightly greater than the density of iridium, the second densest element."
So Colossus's skin is stronger than the element that is denser than the second densest element.

I don't know much about the exact nature of Colossus' invulnerability and strength. But, for the record, higher density indicates no necessary relationship to higher strength, hardness, or durability. For example, lead is denser than steel, but much weaker. Osmium is actually a very hard metal with some excellent durability characteristics (though very brittle), but it would be inaccurate to reason that "X is denser than Y, and therefor stronger."
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

marhawkman

Yeah, I'd put Cage at about the same level as Joanna Cargill(Frenzy). And Collossus beats her up regularly. Although I think Cargill has a speed advantage over both of them.

Star

Wow, Colossus is twice as intelligent as Cage.

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: Star on May 27, 2009, 01:17:34 AM
Wow, Colossus is twice as intelligent as Cage.

Colossus is a painter and fan of the arts. Chances are he enjoys reading.

Luke Cage seems to channel Shaft now or Mr. T. Chances are he doesn't read anything that doesn't have naked women in it.

I would also like to point out those rankings somehow make Colosssus have five times the energy projection of Luke Cage as well. I don't think I've ever seen Colossus shoot energy from his eyes.

djfredski

only if Cage can get to him before he transform.
That the only upper hand that Luke have.
dfredski

marhawkman

Actually that might be a fair fight. Rasputin is superstrong in both forms. His powers become more intense in his metal form, but he still has them to a certain extent in his normal form.

stumpy

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on May 27, 2009, 01:59:58 AMI would also like to point out those rankings somehow make Colosssus have five times the energy projection of Luke Cage as well. I don't think I've ever seen Colossus shoot energy from his eyes.

Yeah, I saw that any pretty much dismissed the "power grid". Seems like either it's inaccurate, it's based on things the characters almost never do, or it means something other than what I would think it means. BTW, these are the same charts that have Spider-Man in the same strength category as The Thing and have him two levels more durable than Ben. In other words, Spidey is more of a 'brick' character than Ben.  :lol:
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

marhawkman

I'm actually thinking the "projection" is more the ability to attack at a distance.

thalaw2

Maybe "Energy Projection" refers to the amount of energy he projects when he transforms...Kind of like how Voltron projected enough energy to shoot enemies darn near to the next solar system when he transformed and they tried to stop it.

Luke would have to get Pete at a psychological disadvantage  But that's hard to do since he's two times dumber.  Yeesh!!!!!
革命不会被电视转播

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: marhawkman on May 27, 2009, 03:30:01 AM
I'm actually thinking the "projection" is more the ability to attack at a distance.

Hrm... perhaps...

Still that makes stuff even MORE confusing... except...

Quote from: thalaw2 on May 27, 2009, 05:39:00 AM
Maybe "Energy Projection" refers to the amount of energy he projects when he transforms...Kind of like how Voltron projected enough energy to shoot enemies darn near to the next solar system when he transformed and they tried to stop it.

Energy Projections...

Hulk 3
Thing 1
Colossus 5
Wolverine 1
Luke Cage 2

Boy that Fastball Special sure is something! And perhaps Cage' is a typo?

This does support... the ranged value for
Punisher is a 1
Deadpool 1
Bullseye 1

This would also work out with the traditional mindset for something like "Energy Projection"

Gambit 7
Iron Man 6
Thor 7

marhawkman

Okay, when you put it that way it's just stupid.....

lugaru

Yeah, his energy projection baffled me but their stats have never made sense...

The only time I remember colossus projecting energy was the x-men arcade game, you could do this explosion type thing. I dont think that is cannon though..

Torch

Obstinate One

Colossus would win but not easy. Luke would leave him with some dents.  :lol:

Quote from: stumpy on May 26, 2009, 12:36:06 AM
Quote from: Carravaggio on May 25, 2009, 10:24:22 PMColossus's skin is made of an element similar to Osmium, not 'organic steel'.
So Colossus's skin is stronger than the element that is denser than the second densest element.

I don't know much about the exact nature of Colossus' invulnerability and strength. But, for the record, higher density indicates no necessary relationship to higher strength, hardness, or durability. For example, lead is denser than steel, but much weaker. Osmium is actually a very hard metal with some excellent durability characteristics (though very brittle), but it would be inaccurate to reason that "X is denser than Y, and therefor stronger."

I agree. Colossus has his armor cut in half before.