News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Girl Genius thread

Started by Glitch Girl, October 18, 2010, 01:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Finally, indeed.  It reminds me of one of the much older strips when the authors added a small panel of Gil beneath the actual strip with the altered dialogue of "GRAAAAAH!  Am I even in this comic any more?"

Some thoughts:

Spoiler

So Gil saves Zola.  Again.  I think I had predicted something like this would eventually happen - that karma has been well established.  I really think Zola needs to survive to at least serve as a plot device so that Agatha can learn to better deal with the Other's presence in her mind.

Speaking of which, did Agatha's pendant get ripped off again about two comic strips ago?  Or did she just get stabbed with an implement that was roughly the same shape?

So it seems that the Movit 11 drug will wear off without any spectacularly lethal withdrawal effects.  Annoying to have expectations set up in one way, only to be casually discarded.

I wonder if there's any reason the Castle would choose not to maintain air superiority at this point in time.  I certainly remember how enthusiastically the Castle was able to kill people in the sky for its Lady, after all.  And an unconscious enemy without any hostage shield would be a tempting target, indeed...

Glitch Girl

Viking:
Dare to dream, huh.  :)

But I do agree, I think she's going to be necessary in the long term.

And to answer statement #2, implement roughly the same size and shape.  Actually I think it was one of her hair decorations.  Go back a few pages and you can track when it disappears.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BlueBard

Quote from: Viking on January 19, 2011, 02:52:29 PMI wonder if there's any reason the Castle would choose not to maintain air superiority at this point in time.  I certainly remember how enthusiastically the Castle was able to kill people in the sky for its Lady, after all.  And an unconscious enemy without any hostage shield would be a tempting target, indeed...[/spoiler]

Probably, except the Castle is probably still "booting up".  Can't have the Castle at full strength too soon... remember the Baron is still waiting in the wings.

Lots of loose threads...

Zeetha, Othar Trygvassen, Otilia, the "love triangle", etc., etc...
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Viking

I find today's strip to be further proof that Zola can travel at the Speed of Plot.

Spoiler
Last strip, the Castle is happily offering to take down Zola, apparently using magnetic fields to throw all manner of kitchen hardware at her.  (Including a cheese grater, which I loved.)  A few panels into today's strip, and Zola is out of range.

I do hope it doesn't take too long for Gil to explain why he needs Zola alive.  I mean, I have suspicions, but it would be nice to have the official explanation.

BlueBard

Up until Zola absorbed "Auntie" Lucrezia's memories, it is pretty likely that someone else was pulling her strings.  Maybe Gil wants to find out who.  Maybe Gil already suspects who and that who is worse than Zola.  Zola would have been the best link back to whoever is ultimately responsible.

In her present state Zola intends to run the show herself, if she can.  While Zola was obviously prepared to co-opt Lucrezia's memories, I can't see how it could have been part of the original plan.  Now that she does have this incredible resource to draw from, I doubt she could ever again be content to be second-fiddle.  Duped, maybe.

Besides, Gil isn't anywhere near as bloodthirsty or vindictive as Tarvek is capable of.  I don't think Agatha would be on board with murdering her, either.  They'd kill Zola if they were forced to, but it wouldn't be option #1.  Hence, Gil stopped Tarvek from doing her in.

And thus, Zola lives on to be a future plot device.  Amazing how he got free at just the right moment.

Viking

Today's strip takes us to some of the action happening outside of the Castle.  I find that quite refreshing.

Glitch Girl

Me too.  Plus, it's good to see one of the classic mad science tropes here.   :D

And for the record, I think the guy in question is from a while back.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20071121
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Viking

Oh, I completely agree.  Same moustache, and Gil clearly had ordered taking the commander's head after the battle for memory scanning.  But actually reviving the head in a jar was an amusing, pleasant surprise.

Dear me.  I just said that reanimating a dead head in a jar was an amusing, pleasant surprise.  I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Glitch Girl

It's not a good thing.

It's an AWESOME thing. 

One of us, one of us...  ;)
-Glitch Girl

daglob

C'mon Glitchie, all us here are Sparks. Just look at some of the meshes, skins, and scopes.

Unfortunately, we are probably only up to the level of the members of Master Payne's Circus of Adventure.

Viking

I'd say that I need to have my head examined, except I don't want it to end up separated from my body and preserved in a glass jar.

Viking

I must say - today's strip (and Wednesday's) shows a wonderful insight into how availability of revivification technology has affected the psyche of people.  Ordinarily, I would imagine that someone waking up from death to discover that they're a head in a jar would prompt severe psychological trauma, or at least denial.  Whereas this fellow seems to be accepting things with nothing more than an indignant "Come on!  How am I supposed to SHAVE?"

Or perhaps it's simply the case that this man has been revived before.

And I love the doctor's bedside manner.  Provided that I never have to be his patient.  I mean, sure - he undoubtedly provides the absolute best medical care available.  But if I were in such a bad condition as to require his care, my political situation would be so bad that I'd be pretty much screwed anyway.

BentonGrey

Haha, yeah, I am also enjoying this bit.  I really like the doctor. :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Viking

Well, it seems that our jar-headed patient is finding death to be quite the liberating experience.  Fast transition, that.

Glitch Girl

I dunno, maybe "Reanimated Abominations of Science" get all the ladies?

Spoiler
Today's Strip

So, not only is Pinky/Lucretia going to be at the hospital, but so is Robo-Lucretia.  I wonder how they'll get along.  I suspect like a house on fire - you know, lots of screaming and destruction.

And since Pinky's in bad shape, I wonder if she's going to be fitted for any replacement parts?  I'm REALLY hoping so.

BTW: isn't the baron still at the hospital or did he leave and I forgot?

-Glitch Girl

Viking

I suspect that "Reanimated Abominations of Science" don't get ALL the ladies, since there's apparently one lady in particular that this particular candidate would rather do without...

Spoiler
Tough to say whether the Baron is still present.  I'm sure that in Dr. Sun's opinion, he bloody well should be.  But the Baron has shown himself to be rather assertive about his independence of movement.  Especially since Gil has presumably dropped off his radar.  And there's that whole plot thread about the Baron mustering forces to demolish the Castle while it's inoperable.

I'm mildly confused as to why Robo-Lucretia is at the medical facility.  Metalwork and engineering aren't skills I'd normally expect in hospitals.  I mean, granted, it IS a world of Mad Science and cyborg implants, but there comes a point where you'd think fully-robotic patients would belong in a separate wing or something.

I feel a mild sense of schadenfreude at Pinky having been shot out of the skies.  Pity it didn't happen onscreen.

I'm also hoping that Lucretia's various copies don't share a hive-mind intelligence.  Because robo-Lucretia shouldn't realize that the Baron got hit with a slaver wasp, or that Pinky has a subjugated copy of Lucretia in her own head.  Though the copy in Pinky's head should be aware of robo-Lucretia...

Glitch Girl

On RASs and the ladies...
QuoteDr. Frederick Frankenstein: For the experiment to be a success, all of the body parts must be enlarged.
Inga: In other vords: his veins, his feet, his hands, his organs vould all have to be increased in size.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Exactly.
Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
Inga: Voof.
Igor: He's going to be very popular.

:D

Spoiler

Missing Pinky getting shot down makes me sad.  Seeing the shape she's in afterwords may make up for that though, depending on the damage.

Robo-Lucretia might be there because Tarvek was there earlier for his wounds (before he escaped... how many days ago?  My sense of time in this thing is really off).

Somehow I doubt that all the Lucretia copies have a "hive mind".  This means RL might even think that Agatha/Lucretia is still active because I don't think she was there when Agatha regained control (I should check when I get home)  RL shouldn't know about Pinky/Lucretia  unless PL decides to reveal it and THAT might be interesting.

Question for you guys... how much in-comic time has past since Agatha entered the castle and now?  
-Glitch Girl

daglob

Two days, maybe three... less than a week. The sun was either rising or setting when she left The Chapel of Bones, I think.

All this time and only one little nap...

Viking

And today's comic reminds us that clowns are scary.

Glitch Girl

No wonder that family grew up so screwed up.

-Glitch Girl

BlueBard

I'm not quite sure I understand what an impluvium has to do with a giant jack-in-the-box.

Glitch Girl

I'm thinking maybe the Folgios meant "basement" and were referring to where our intrepid heroes are now instead of what they're fighting... possibly?

Oh heck, I got nothin'.
-Glitch Girl

Viking

And in today's strip, I am now shaking my head that Gil was so easily emotionally manipulated.

BlueBard

Quote from: Viking on February 11, 2011, 01:36:42 PM
And in today's strip, I am now shaking my head that Gil was so easily emotionally manipulated.

It's really not that surprising.  Gil has almost always been portrayed as very emotional and he's never been all that manipulative himself.  I can see him being especially sensitive to anything where Agatha and Tarvek is concerned.  Because of his history with both of them, they get under his skin. 

Gil is honest and straightforward, for the most part.  He is able to lie and deceive when he has to, but it's not really his nature.  He tends to be more trusting than Tarvek is and he's not a backstabber.

Whereas Tarvek is a schemer from the word 'go'.  He does have his heroic side, but I think that's mostly Agatha's influence on him.  Naturally he's going to be trying to make Gil look bad, but he's going to be sneaky about it.

Besides, I see it for what it is... a humorous plot device to maintain the personal tension between Gil and Agatha.  Everybody reading knows they're pretty much a couple... it's just not been realized in the comic itself.

Glitch Girl

And Violetta's back, I've missed her so!  :)
-Glitch Girl

BentonGrey

I'm really looking forward to Gil and Agatha ditching the Storm Loser.  He's entertaining and all, but I like Gil way better.  On the topic of today's strip, I LOVE the name of the poison....and the constant abuse Violetta's heeped on Tarvek.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BlueBard

Well, again, until Gil comes right out and declares his true love for Agatha - TO Agatha - Tarvek is a semi-necessary humorous plot complication.  To the best of my recollection, while Gil has confessed that he loves her he hasn't done so when Agatha was actually present.

Why on earth the obvious rivalry with Tarvek has not prompted him to do that, except for the fact their lives have been in constant danger, I can't imagine.  Gil doesn't strike me as the shy type.

One guess is that particular revelation is waiting for some point when the Baron is involved and threatening Agatha's life.  If anybody can push Gil over the edge, it's probably him.

Of course the other factor is that they need to pair Tarvek off with somebody besides Agatha, unless he gets bumped off somewhere along the way.  Hm.  Maybe he and Zola deserve each other.

Panther_Gunn

Is it just me, or does today's strip seem kind of.....jumpy?  Almost like there's a panel or two that are missing.  I found it a little harder to follow smoothly than normal, and I'm pretty used to some of the more subtle visuals in lieu of text that Phil uses at times.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Viking

Entertaining background scenery in today's strip:

Spoiler
They look like Mad Scientist vending machines.  "You can never have enough monsters!"  "In a rush?  Instant Minion!"  And, of course, the Brains machine, which helpfully labeled offerings like "smart" and "foolish" to fit any needs of Mad Science.  Makes me wonder what the life of a Mad Science vendor is like.

And it's nice to see that even the Castle can get panicked.

Glitch Girl

This Monday's strip...

I was hoping for more permanent damage (though there's still a recovery process to go through), but I did get the expected meeting of the mental "twins".
-Glitch Girl