The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly... Trying to reason with hurricane season 2021

Started by daglob, December 20, 2019, 12:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

They are talking bone marrow transplants, if they can't stop the progression.

BentonGrey

Ohh man, that sounds rather rough.  Here's hoping the new treatment does the trick!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

For what it's worth you have my sincere prayers it doesn't come to that.

daglob

:banghead:

Well, the computer seems to have given up the ghost. Laptop still works, but I am locked away from all those odd little skins and meshes I collect.

BentonGrey

Sheesh!  Sorry man!  That's so frustrating.  Is it just not booting, or what?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

BentonGrey

God Bless

daglob

BentonGrey

Ahh, I'm sorry man.  I saw one of my best friends go through that, and I have some small idea of how rough it can be.  Is there anything you need?

The Lord be with you in this dark time, my friend.
God Bless

SickAlice

Same. Even if you just need to vent you know where. Just about to pick up the phone, stepdad is at Mayo right now starting the oral procedure himself. He's of pretty spirits though all things considered. Dude is tough as Lobo.

daglob

Yesterday was the one-month visit with the oncologist. He is happy with the present progress, and wants to continue the present treatments. The epidural I had the week before treatment started seems to have done a number on the tumors that I could feel (and probably the one snuggled down in my pelvis) which he said showed that it was sensitive to the treatment. I have a week off from the thalidomide, and have had something I suspected confirmed: it makes me sick. I've been waking up and feeling... okay... then take all my pills, and by 11 or so I am back in bed. Of course, tonight or tomorrow I will have to crawl in bed and probably stay there 'til Monday (but the last two weeks I haven't been able to get up until Wednesday). I have to drink Gatorade overnight to avoid the cramps the steroids are aggravating (the pickle juice quit working), have to take aspirin because my blood is turning into syrup, and have added Metamucil to my diet because the chemo is slowing down my digestion.  To top it off, my hair is falling out, and about half of each eyebrow is missing making me look like one of those weird Japanese cartoon characters with dots for eyebrows.

And how much fun is it to know that as the Corona virus creeps into the country, those most at risk include asthmatic old farts with compromised immune systems?

BentonGrey

Well, there's a lot of lousy in this, which is to be expected from a battle with cancer, but it sounds like you got some good news, so that's awesome!  I'm sorry that the medicine for this stuff is so awful itself. 

As for the Corona virus, just make sure you keep germs at bay, avoid the plague-ridden public when you can, and I'm sure you'll be fine.  Just take care of yourself, my friend!  I'm glad you're getting a break from the medicine.  I hope it helps you catch your breath.
God Bless

SickAlice

That's bloody hell dude. I pray for a day sooner than later were you get a respite from that misery. Hear hear about the virus. Compromised immune system is pretty much the basis of my own disorder. I wear gloves in public, especially stores. It looks silly but I don't care. Also have a set of cloth doctors masks, if it spreads any more I'm not going to hesitate to wear one. I wouldn't be able to sustain that strong of a virus.

daglob

The thalidomide is making me look like an extra from The Walking Dead, so they decided that I could stop taking it for awhile.

BentonGrey

Yikes!  Careful, you'll steal DJ's thunder. 

Hope the rest is beneficial, man.
God Bless

daglob

I got the adapter from my brother, and am copying my Freedom Force drive to the backup.  I have been looking at the 'C' drive, and it looks good, so things may be alright. I intend to put all the meshes on the laptop so I will, at least, be able to get to them easily. Something good.

My daughter and ex-wife went out and braved the craziness at the stores to try and get me enough food to last through a two week quarantine, so I wouldn't have to go out myself.

BentonGrey

Glad that there's some good news on the computer front, DG!

That's awesome!  I'm really glad your family is supporting you, my friend.  You stay safe and far away from all that craziness.
God Bless

daglob

Argh! One of the side effects of the chemo seems to be shingles.

daglob

Well... everything is proceeding apace. Since the thalidomide triggered the shingles, I will be off that for the rest of the month. Next month they may start again on a lower dose. This week I was sick all week, and only have today to get things done, and I'm slowing down now. Funny, I had figured on staying at home or in bed most of the 16 weeks of treatment (half way through), but didn't really foresee it being a forced quarantine. Anyway it could be worse: I met a gentleman in the Cancer Center last week who had had to have a large portion of his facial bones and jaw removed. And he was still kicking... and still positive.

I know people in my situation try to ask what they did to deserve it, but I wonder: how many of us are intended as lessons... to other people. I met my lesson last week.

SickAlice

Glad you found some inspiration but imo would rather you be having better days cause you certainly don't deserve it. I hope you reach that point and this is all a distant bad dream then.

daglob

Since shingles is basically chicken pox, I don't get to see my granddaughter his weekend.

daglob

Since the shingles is supposed to be non-contagious at this point, my granddaughter came over Sunday and brought me Easter candy and some boiled eggs. Then she fixed me hamburger steaks with tomato gravy and mushrooms, and oven roasted vegetables.

BentonGrey

I'm sorry you didn't get to see your granddaughter, my friend, but it sounds like you had got a pretty good deal out of your daughter's visit!  :)
God Bless

daglob

I took Tramadol for my back several years ago, and it did pretty much nothing, however, they prescribed some for the leftover nerve pain from the shingles, and it does a lot. The floor keeps shifting back and forth, and the room moves in and out when you look at it. And keeping awake is almost as hard as walking. Dunno if this is "new and improved" Tramadol, or what. I definitely can't drive like this. Kind of amusing.

SickAlice

I've had that stuff. Actually I experience the other thing normally too. Not to dive into it here but I have AIWS. Basically my sense of spatial awareness is shot, really it's my bodies interpretation of it's own proportions relative to everything else that is. At any rate that's what's going on there with you. Probably the new enhanced effect due to being mixed with something else currently and/or your biology is likely very different now after all the treatments you've been through.

daglob

Yeah, the neuropathy in my feet has taken out the kinesic sensing. If I have them off the ground for too long, I have no idea where they are. Each step is a little more off-balance, and running is pretty near impossible. On the other hand, I'm still here.

BentonGrey

Man, I'm sorry y'all are having to deal with all of this stuff, but I'm glad y'all are indeed still here!
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: daglob on April 20, 2020, 12:55:01 AM
Yeah, the neuropathy in my feet has taken out the kinesic sensing. If I have them off the ground for too long, I have no idea where they are.

That's almost like a superpower, isn't it?  :D

daglob

Yesterday was the monthly meeting with the oncologist, along with the shot in the stomach, the one in my behind, and half an hour hooked up to a drip. The doctor likes the way stuff is going, and he wants me to start back up on the thalidomide at the end of the month. I believe this will extend my time on chemotherapy, so when y'all get to run loose, I'll still be stuck here with no immune system.

He thinks the numbness in my hands is probably not creeping neropathy, but carpal tunnel syndrome, which may be right since I switched to the laptop, and the mouse has been bothering me (so I guess I need one of those mouse pads with the padded edge).

cranlox