News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tommyboy's Mesh Release Thread V3.0

Started by tommyboy, January 24, 2009, 01:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyboy

I'm very proud and pleased to announce that Sioux City Dynamo's lovely skins and skopes now grace my site:
http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/SCD%20skins.html
Heres a taster:

ow_tiobe_sb

You know something, Tom?  I got it in my brain to write you this week, and now here you are!  'Tis grand to see you posting here again. :)

Congrats to SCD on some fine work, and kudos to tommyboy for hosting it!

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

tommyboy

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on September 20, 2011, 03:45:43 PM
You know something, Tom?  I got it in my brain to write you this week, and now here you are!  'Tis grand to see you posting here again. :)

Congrats to SCD on some fine work, and kudos to tommyboy for hosting it!

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker

Strictly speaking, Catwhowalksbyhimself actually Hosts us all, so he gets the Kudos.
I just quickly bodged together a page from my own not very good template.
But Ta anyway.

Podmark

That's great Tommy, Sioux City Dynamo makes some great skins and they deserve a nice home.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Ash4fire

Figure Fan

Amazo Version 2.2

thankyou for hosting these tommyboy. this is a really good addition to youre site.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

cmdrkoenig67

cmdrkoenig67

Tom,

I recently was looking for a mesh I could use as a medieval musician/minstrel/bard (other than the game's Bard character) and I downloaded your pied_piper_classic.  He is awesome!  He has a wonderful variety of wind instrument ranged attacks (the finger movements and tapping foot are great).  He even has a sitting animation which is a plus for cutscenes.  I just wanted to tell you what a great mesh he is.

Dana

hmarrs

Tommy these are awesome but can you guys help me understand somthing did he create those meshes in FF and export them into MUA and if so how?I'm like stuck on stupid right now.

Tomato

k, you're confused. All mesh files for freedom force and FFv3r are created in a separate program called 3DS Max (versions 4-5). MUA also has exporters for 3ds max, and Tommy figured out a way to modify the max files for meshes created for use in FF to work in MUA. Having experimented with it myself, it is NOT easy, and I have enormous respect for the fact that Tommy did it at all.

Bottom line, it's not as simple as taking a freedom force nif and converting it to MUA. They use COMPLETELY different formats for the files, the bipeds are structured differently (3 spine nodes instead of 2), the MUA exporter relies on a different method of bone attachment than FF does, scale is different, and MUA files actually export texture data with the mesh file instead of storing it in a separate mesh. All this to use an exporter that only really works for MUA, has issues with certain textures (It's been awhile, but it seems like people were having trouble setting up bump mapping with it) and is generally inferior to the one Irrational gave us over a decade ago.

hmarrs

Wow!That does sound crazy.Do you think it would be possible to ask Tommy to share some of the files he has been able able to import into MUA so that we may do the same with the meshes that he has imported or is it still too complicated of an idea? :huh:

hoss20

I believe all of the MUA stuff Tommyboy did is available on his website. Just scroll down a bit on his home page and there are a couple of links to Marvel Ultimate Alliance Mods and Meshes. I haven't tried to download anything, so I don't know whether or not those links are working.

Tomato

hoss, I don't think that's what he's asking... I think what he's asking is could tommyboy send him the max files he's set up to export for MUA, so that we could modify THOSE and thus make new MUA meshes.

The thing is, that would alleviate some of the issues with regards to having to set up a new biped and so forth, the truth is that you'd still have to find the proper exporters (which were taken off the net and are only exchanged now within the MUA modding community), still have to have a specific version of 3DS Max (not cheap or easy to find legitimately or illegitimately) AND still have to deal with the myriad of issues present in the exporters. That's even assuming you can find Tommyboy and/or he's willing/able to share his max files with anyone given how rarely he comes on FR anymore.

hoss20

Sorry, that's what I get for not reading back far enough. Hey, it's late. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.