News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Em's Crap! (CLOSED)

Started by MJB, January 23, 2012, 08:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figure Fan

Wow, the colors on the newest two are great. I really like the background on the Captain Marvels piece.

Btw, I think the gray scale marker shading you did is better than the solid black inks. Overlaying some colors on top of the marker shading would look really good I think.

captainspud

Wait, I'm confused.

Do you win Meejub Smells Like Haddock Monday because I was the first to welch, or do I win Meejub Kills Veterinarians For Sport Monday because you're quitting forever?

Yes, it's important.
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Let us work together to correct it.

MJB

Quote from: MJB on April 15, 2012, 09:14:05 PMSpider-Man vs Sandman

Captain Marvel vs Captain Marvel

Quote from: Figure Fan on April 16, 2012, 03:45:34 AM
Wow, the colors on the newest two are great. I really like the background on the Captain Marvels piece.

Btw, I think the gray scale marker shading you did is better than the solid black inks. Overlaying some colors on top of the marker shading would look really good I think.

Thanks FF. :) I too like the gray scale version. I'm currently coloring both drawings. No real rush on getting them done though. I'll be sure to share it when I'm finished.

Quote from: captainspud on April 16, 2012, 12:54:38 PM
Wait, I'm confused.

Do you win Meejub Smells Like Haddock Monday because I was the first to welch, or do I win Meejub Kills Veterinarians For Sport Monday because you're quitting forever?

Yes, it's important.

I won because you welched. I'm not quitting on posting new art. I'm just ending the day of the week restriction. This way I can post something new when I want & not wait until Monday.

I have a bunch of new things waiting to be shared so the spirit of this thread lives on. :mjb:

juancho

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
How did I miss these??
I LOOOOOVE the new pieces Meejub, especially the Marvel vs DC one (or should I say Marvel vs Marvel)

Of course we all know Billy would kick Mar-vell's butt :P

captainspud

QuoteI won because you welched.
But I don't like losing, especially when it's a contest with rules I arbitrarily set up to guarantee my own success.

It's not fair. Or rather, it's not unfair in a way that benefits me, which is the same as being fair.

FIX. :(
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

MJB

Been having a blast playing Draw Something on my iPad. Here's a couple of my crappy drawings I saved...

I know there are people out there who churn out works of art with this game but I just like to have fun. :mjb:

MJB

A battle for the ages! The Incredible Hulk VERSUS Marvin the Martian!!

Each time I would get the itch to draw something the wife would suggest Hulk vs Marvin. She's a big Marvin the Martian fan. The other day I finally took her up on her challenge. :)

MJB

Astounding Adventures #37
Cover Dated: January 1953
Featuring: The Bronze Bomber takes on the Robotic Robbers & The Forcer battles the Wicked Wyrm!

Here's the inks...

2 separate drawings put together in Photoshop.

-MJB

Outcast

Quote from: MJB on April 23, 2012, 05:48:47 AM
I know there are people out there who churn out works of art with this game but I just like to have fun. :mjb:[/color]
That's a nice attitude to have. :)

The Hulk vs Marvin piece looks really spot on. I think Marvin may have something nasty in store for the Hulk, once he fires that gun. Beware Hulk.  ^_^

As to your latest work, I like how the colors really look faded out or dull? It gives it a vintage comic book look. How did you do it? What effects did you use if any?

The inks look really nice and clean too. :cool:

MJB

Quote from: Outcast on May 13, 2012, 03:17:06 AM
As to your latest work, I like how the colors really look faded out or dull? It gives it a vintage comic book look. How did you do it? What effects did you use if any?

I use a lot of different textures & filters. The main effect I use is a limited color palette. I found a site that hosted an old 64-color guide that was reproduced into a Photoshop file. I try to stick to using only those colors for the flats but I do cheat from time to time.

Thanks for the comment! :mjb:

Panther_Gunn

The aged effect is looking really good on this one.  Could use some "crumpling", "tearing", "creasing" along the edges, or even a water stain, to really sell it.  Would you be able to extract those effects from scans of actual comics that have these blemishes (although I don't know if you could do that for a water stain)?

p.s.:  you're now at 8000 posts.  Loser.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

MJB

Wow I didn't even realize I hit 8,000 posts. I am a loser...

You are correct sir. I could probably extract some of those defects from a scanned comic book. I just need to pull some of my long boxes out of the closet & dig through my comics looking for the perfect specimen.

If/when I do this I'll be sure to update a couple of my covers. :thumbup:

captainspud

One of your pulp or 60s superheroes needs a tapir sidekick. Preferably a former Soviet space tapir, but I'm not going to be picky.

Chop chop.

GrizzlyBearTalon

*shakes dust off himself*

Wow, always loved your art Meej. Just started looking through this thread.

Really digging the Hulk vs Marvin Martian, unfortunately I have no fancy parts art critique or anything helpful to say other than that I think its awesome. I just re-read through the Villains Reborn deal we did way back. My favorite thing about it (other than your art which was SAHWEET) is that my writing didn't make me cringe when I read back through it, kind of surprised me.

juancho

Awsome job Meejub, I loooooove your original characters.
Now you should STOP PLAYING SO MUCH Avengers Aliance and "Draw Something" and start posting more art.
I DEMAND IT!!!!!!!!

captainspud

Seriously, that former Soviet space tapir isn't going to draw itself.

Or maybe it will. Who knows what kind of terrifying prowess the reds have engineered into their tapirs? I shudder to even ponder it...

MJB

Quote from: captainspud on May 18, 2012, 07:24:57 PM
One of your pulp or 60s superheroes needs a tapir sidekick. Preferably a former Soviet space tapir, but I'm not going to be picky.

Chop chop.

Tell you what, you design it I'll throw it on a cover.

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on May 23, 2012, 02:15:39 AM
*shakes dust off himself*

Wow, always loved your art Meej. Just started looking through this thread.

Really digging the Hulk vs Marvin Martian, unfortunately I have no fancy parts art critique or anything helpful to say other than that I think its awesome. I just re-read through the Villains Reborn deal we did way back. My favorite thing about it (other than your art which was SAHWEET) is that my writing didn't make me cringe when I read back through it, kind of surprised me.

Yay Grizz posted in my thread! :) You should totally do that more often.

Quote from: juancho on May 29, 2012, 02:22:02 PM
Awsome job Meejub, I loooooove your original characters.
Now you should STOP PLAYING SO MUCH Avengers Aliance and "Draw Something" and start posting more art.
I DEMAND IT!!!!!!!!

I take such demands seriously sir. I'm currently working on a project with my son that I hope to show you guys. It'll be a little bit before I'll have enough done to share though. Do not fret though! I still have a handful of completed comic covers & misc crap stored back waiting to be shared. :D

Now on to an update! Here's a cover I did on bristol board. After I inked it I used some greyscale markers to add shading. This made it a pain to piece together in Photoshop (the bristol is like 2 times the size of my scanner bed).

General Victory #130
Cover Dated: August 1973
Featuring: The Architects of Despair Strike! Hairy Harry, The Odour & their leader Multi-Tasker (not pictured) attack members of the Avengers of Justice (White Lightning, GV & Night Hawk).

The colors:

The inks:

Tortuga

Hooray!!  Hairy Harry looks awesome (so do the others, but he stands out to me).

juancho

Just AWSOME
I love the shading you gave this cover
thanks for sharing meejub

MJB

Thanks for the responses guys. Really means a lot.

MJB

Hello! It's been a while. I was looking through my completed faux covers & found a handful that I haven't uploaded yet. Here's the first...

Was testing out my grey scale markers. Thought about drawing Lou so I dug up his old nemesis, the Daring Dwarf! Nothing serious just having fun at the time. :P

Inks:

naitvalis

hey MJB! is nice to see your comic covers again!

Ephemeris

Good to see Lou again!  Great stuff as always Meej!

Figure Fan

Cool The fire around Lou looks sweet. As I've said in the past, I'm a fan of the new shading technique. You should consider illustrating children's books. Your style has a "Where the Wild Things Are" look to it.

Fergal

Just awesome work MJB.  I've only recently found this forum and your artwork was one of the first things I found when stopping by.  You're faux covers really take me back to a time when I first discovered comics and there was something fascinating coming around the corner every month.  Keep these coming!  :)

MJB

Here is another cover I have been holding onto!

General Victory #80:

Inks:

Franken-Furher was created by the spectacular Glitch Girl!! We are planning out a comic featuring the character. There is no release date.

Patience young one. :P

-MJB

naitvalis

a frankenstein furher? mmm interesting and funny at the same time, the image is clean as always MJ and i like the colours,  however some part of the bodies still appear to "cutted" in the view you have chosed.
In my opinion a background for the scene could be very nice, for example a mad lab doctor or a cemetary, maybe "franky" could emerge from a broken lab capsule...this can explain more the surprised expression on general victory face.

good job  :thumbup:!

cmdrkoenig67

Reepicheep

I laughed a lot.

But err...

Its spelt fuhrer.

well, führer, but who needs umlauts?